Diy: Sliding Roof Rack

We have a No Boundaries roof rack on our Escape just like the one below so I forget sometimes the basic roof rack exists. The NB rack extends and locks in to the bumper but obviously wouldn't work for an MJ application. I think we have actually needed to extend the rack maybe once every other year to haul items; it sees very infrequent use and causes a lot of aerodynamic drag.

Nice write up very interesting. I know there are a few members with roof racks but I cannot seem to find their threads looking forward to seeing the basket on. Literally been looking for small single cab pick ups with roof racks and there is nothing out there. Couldn't even find one...   

Roof rack on! Still debating on if I want to go through the hassle of trying to mate the two halve together. Looks fine as is, but would look better if it looked like one piece. I may try to make another one and relocate the stops at one end so that it's not 2 pieces per side...

This may give you some more ideas:

Just installed a used junkyard roof rack from an S10 Blazer on my topper, so I thought I'd post the pics. The 1998-2004 S10 Blazer rack comes in two lengths depending if they are 2DR or 4DR. I had to narrow it a little to clear the hump on the shell, but the length was okay. These racks are nice because they can be altered easily front-to-back or side-to-side. Special thanks to Rich (Drahcir495) for the ideas. :cheers:

Rack on the shell is very nice looking.  The typical SUV roof rack is only rated for 100 lbs or so.  The roof rack on the Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport is rated for 200 lbs. not much more.

Has anyone seen a nicely done canoe rack or a well done lumber type rack?  I am thinking of a slim, aluminum rack mounted just outside the bed rails and very close to the shell with a cantilevered section just over the front section of the windshield and cab.

That's my long term goal. How much weight can the topper hold?

Checked my SnugTop purchase paper work.  No help.  A web search did not give me very much info.  Found one reference to 300 lbs with an optional contractor rack.  Guess I would call SnugTop to see what they say.  But I would not expect them to approve much.

Did find an interesting 6 page thread:  http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/121949-Camper-Shell-Roof-Racks/page6

Take a look at the very last picture.  Cab rack and a matching shell rack.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This may give you some more ideas:

Just installed a used junkyard roof rack from an S10 Blazer on my topper, so I thought I'd post the pics. The 1998-2004 S10 Blazer rack comes in two lengths depending if they are 2DR or 4DR. I had to narrow it a little to clear the hump on the shell, but the length was okay. These racks are nice because they can be altered easily front-to-back or side-to-side. Special thanks to Rich (Drahcir495) for the ideas. :cheers:

Did you cut the sun roof in yourself?

• 4 weeks later...