Need Clutch Help 86 4Cyl 5 Speed

I bought an 86 xls, 2.5 5 speed 4x4, with an external slave cylinder it supposedly had a new clutch kit in it when I bought it but the clutch didn't disengage when you stepped on the pedal. I pulled the trans out checked everything out made sure the fork was on right, I put on a new slave and master cylinder bled the clutch and the clutch pedal feels like I have no resistance. Can't test it to see if it works because now the truck doesn't start but does anyone have and advice with the clutch?

It starts one minute then the next I went to start it again and I don't even here a click. I know the battery has a charge and all my lights and gauges come on so idk what the deal is

is it possible that it has the wrong clutch kit? the guy before me put it in, and the guy before him bought the kit. i have the part number of the kit that is in the truck but i can't find any info on it online. tredex automotive am-020 is the clutch that is in it.

I ran into this when I did mine. I swapped in an 86 2.8 trans to my 87. I didnt notice at first but the new slave cyl didnt have the pointed plastc end on the rod. This lengthens the rod a bit and without it you won't get full disengagement. I swapped the plastic end onto the new slave rod and all was good. Check this before you pull it all apart.

The 86 has a poor design layout for the hard line out of the master cylinder. It sits higher than the master cylinder and is far too long at this height. This allows air to be trapped in the high spot.  I had to pressure bleed the line from the slave cylinder up to the master to get mine to work. This had to be done with the slave removed and the plunger held in as far as it would go in order to get all (or most of) the air out of the system.

Well ive bled it according to the book, removing the slave and keeping it pushed in while bleeding it. I feel like I'm stepping on a brick wall and the clutch still doesnt disengage...what am I missing? Could be the pressure plate or wrong clutch kit? I'm at a loss.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so I bought a new clutch kit and there was a clear difference in the clutch and pressure plate. I got everything all swapped over and now the pedal doesn't feel like a brick but now I have like no back pressure and the clutch still doesn't disengage

Does anyone know what this fork is supposed to look like. The one I see online that is supposed to be for my truck looks nothing like what I have. Anyone have a part number or anything that might help me find the right fork for this thing?