Rough Country Long Arm Install

Hey guys, I just installed a Rough Country 4-6 inch long arm on my 1990 MJ Pioneer. The crossmember ended up being a problem so I thought I would let you guys know what I did to fix it. The cross member bolted up (but the front bolts needed tapping). The problem was in the L shaped frame bracket included with the kit. The Cherokees don't have the floor brace (down the middle of the floor and to the pinch weld), so I had to cut the L bracket and drill a new hole. Other than that the install went great and everything else bolts up just fine. I will post up a few pics when I get back on my computer (I'm at school :laughin: )

• 5 months later...

Yea it bolted on just fine

I just cut the brackets so it will fit around the unibody support. 

Here's the finished product. I drilled a new hole on the support side, because it was trimmed off. 

Reason for posting: When I was considering purchasing, I found no info on the subject. 

I have NOTHING seen any "end all" issues with RC

They have covered any problems I have ever had. They had a bad run on shock bushings...at the same time every other manufacturer did, because the company who makes them made a bad batch.

Same happened with poly ca bushings at one point. Same happened with their flex bushings at one point. Never has someone I know of, myself included, had a bad RC customer experience. Maybe you guys should take into account that the one guy on cf, Naxja, etc. is probably impossible to please or work with on the phone...and got bad customer service for being a bad customer.

Don't talk if you haven't experienced it. And if you have, then I'm sorry you had that experience...but RC stands by their warranty, so you might try being less "righteous" when you call to get a problem resolved.

tried to get my yj springs replaced with there lifetime warranty with proof of purchase. was on the phone for 2 weeks sent emails and pictures i ended up buying some jy springs. i wish i had there email that said it doesn't look like our product. its the looks wrong because the springs are repainted because they were rusting. so i havent bought a product since.  

Ive had a bit of experience with RC, Ive found to stay away from their shocks and coils. But a good friend of mine has ran the RC kit for a few years now, he told me you need to rebuild the joints once a year to get good life out of them. The problem with the RC kits is that even though the joints are greasable, they do not spread it out enough. He rebuilds it and greases it every winter.

My brother bought a 4 inch RC short arm for his TJ. Been 3 years and it's actually holding up pretty well. He sold the Jeep to a friend of mine who has wheeled the crap out of it. The bent arms give you a lot more clearance than just straight ones like the RE short arm like my dad's XJ had. But those had rebuildable and greasable joints. and much more heavy duty. I was planning on installing those until I got my RC long arm. I'm actually impressed with it.

RC had problems with the poly "fixed" joint (axle side} on their long and short arms. They redesigned them to use factory style rubber bushings and also redesigned their flexible joints making the tension on the bushing adjustable. I'm currently installing their LA kits on both an XJ and a ZJ but haven't driven either one yet. RC seems to be kind of hit or miss on their products. I had a set of their 3" leafs and gas shocks on my XJ before and they rode great, but the leafs that came with the XJ long arm (4" & 6.5" short arm kits also) were too short causing the shackle angle to be all wrong. They sell a shackle relocation kit seperately which fixed the shackle angle but added another inch or so of unwanted lift. I ended up replacing them with a set from Rustys. Overall though, in my opinion, they make a quality product for the price and their customer service is great. I found it's better to call them for help rather than emailing.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...