Differential Seal Leaking After Changing For New One; After Putting Rear Disc Brake Conversion

So I did rear disc brake conversion.... and it is 1000 times better for stopping... well my rear brakes were gone, thats probably I feel that much difference, but I have never had that good stopping on my comanche. Anyways to the point.

However, I did the rear disc brake conversion and you have to use the teraflex rings (www.teraflex.biz/rear-disc-brake-preload-ring-for-early-kits.html.. 

my problem comes that it is leaking oil from the driver side, it is not like dripping from a hose, but it is a constant drip, anyways, I was the continuity does not matter that much.

I did change the seals on both sides, I think the conversion does not have anything to do with it, I did took the axle one more time to check and rearrange, and reassemble and it still drips.

has anyone of you that did that change conversion, or have change bearings, seals, etc, encounter this type of problem? any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

Yes, I have done the Teraflex disk brake swap - twice. The first time was on a D35 c-clip, ran it for about two years, and it never leaked a drop from day one. However, after snapping a couple of rear axles getting a bit to exuberant with the stroker, I swapped in a D44. This required new D44 backing plates and preload spacers from Teraflex because of the different axle flange, and the drivers side did weep gear oil from day one from the e-brake adjustment hole in the backing plate. I replaced the drivers side seal and used sealant around outer edge of the seal; it still weeped. It never was a drip, just a film of oil around the rubber plug.

When I did the swap from D35 to D44, I reused the old axle vent nylon adapter and vent hose. Pulled all that stuff and replaced it all with new D44 axle-specific axle vent components, and the weeping stopped. That was three years ago or so. It's remained dry with sero weeping. It seems the D44 axle needs more open venting than the pinhole nylon vents used in the D35. Why, I have no idea. But it was the fix for me. Point is - check the axle vent. Make sure it's clear, and even drill out the nylon vent hole adapter a little bigger.

Also, the D44 preload spacer needs to be clocked correctly facing the axle seal. The chamfered side needs to be facing the seal, not the flat side.

ok thanks, will go back to my friends tomorrow for him to check it... the spacers are supposed the correct side as what I got to see... i hope is nothing major. but ill keep yu posted... would you get me in a direction of where should the vent hose be or go?

this is for a rear dana 44 differential.

i hope is not the internal seals either!

thanks for your support hornbrod.

ok, it is dripping now for both sides, and i went and check for the hose, and there is none... there is only the nipple... should I put one?

another thing... have you had an issue with the preload spacer ring being loose and moving towards the tire and letting the seal move?

supposedly my friend told me that is what is happening. any advice?

ok, it is dripping now for both sides, and i went and check for the hose, and there is none... there is only the nipple... should I put one?

You don't have to have a hose - it's only there to keep water out if you are in deep water. Pull the vent nipple and make sure it's clear.

another thing... have you had an issue with the preload spacer ring being loose and moving towards the tire and letting the seal move?

supposedly my friend told me that is what is happening. any advice?

Nope, no movement, no leaks. Preload spacer orientation for the D44:

ok, so as the figure shows, it is in the right direction and is assemble right.

so if I weld the ring even if it is a little "thin"... he said it is the width of 2 paper pages... will i need to leave the space needed? will it work?

i ordered the other rings anyways, but will welding the ones I have work?; I'm in a stress because it is my daily driver and ordering them will take several days to get here.

I need a lot  of help with these.

about the venting will check I think  it is blocked.

could it have happen that the spacer is a little bit too small and that is why it is leaking? this are the dimensions from the ones I got first and are installed

2.80" od x 2,25" id x .228" thick (Brake plate Spacer for DBK-J Disc-brake kits)

http://www.teraflex.biz/brake-plate-spacer-for-dbk-j-disc-brake-kits.html

this are the ones I just ordered

3" od x 2.25 ID x .230 Thick

Rear Disc Brake Preload ring for Jeep Early Kits

http://www.teraflex.biz/rear-disc-brake-preload-ring-for-early-kits.html#second

what do you guys think... ?

BTW... people at teraflex told me I needed 86261... the thinner one..

I used the thinner ones. No leaks.

So did I. I had slight weeping at first on the left side assembly as explained above, but corrected it by repairing the axle vent, also explained above. That was three years ago. No tack welding was necessary in my case. Pull the axle vent nipple and make sure it's not clogged. If it is, unclog it by drilling it out, or replace it.

I"ve done four of these conversions now on Dana 44's.  I've made my own rings each time and never had an issue.  On three of them I used all new bearings and seals.  On the third I cut a section out of the ring to slide over the axle shaft as he didn't want to pay for new bearings and we didn't want to risk damaging the lock ring or seals pressing them off.   

Non of them have leaked.  Not even the one that doesn't have a full ring, and he abuses the hell out if his rig.   

I'm thinking your seals maybe bad, or maybe there is a bur or something.    

Maybe the seals are installed backwards?   The lips go to tire side.   The preload rings radiused side goes to seals.   

here's a photo of an instruction sheet I made for a friend that I made a conversion from from zj brakes.    

13965156875_a184cb81d9.jpg

ok so went and check the assembly, after putting the new seals, they are trashed so I will have to put new ones I guess, since the outer part is ripped, i guess from moving or something.

it looks that the axle was not installed correctly all the way thru and the retainer plate was bent from the corners when installing so It kinda has a curve (sorry did not take pics of it, I should have)... so my guess is that the axle moved out and in letting the preload ring and seal move out of their space.

that is the only thing that I can think would explain the leaking. because everything is installed as how you guys are telling me . So I will have to order some new retainer plates and put new seals.  I hope the bearings don't get screwed once again. Since I put new ones on the first try.

the only thing I am having doubt now is the seal backwards...

so this is how it is installed.... the flat part is towards the tire where the preload spacer ring "presses" and the "concave" part towards the differential gears? is that backwards or right?

thanks for your advices so far.

• 2 weeks later...

so I got the parts, and everything is installed now, it is not running yet, as I did the change of engine oil and trans oil too, just to give my truck full service, but know the plates sit flush and there is no apparent leak, and they sit better. everything looks a lot better now.

It appears the person that installed them at first just rush everything and bent the plates, left the axles a little bit out, or some crappy job like that.

anyways, I will keep you guys posted.

ok, so the truck is finished, and you guys were right, slim preload spacers where the ones to be used, the problem was the the oil seal retainers where bent and were letting the oil seal to move and making it drip, in the same time making the axle move out and in. thats why it was leaking. So I had to get new, seals, oil seal retainers, redo the axle, put everything new, and now is perfect, it does not leaks, runs smooth and it is perfect... rear disc brakes are way better than normal rear drum brakes.... now I'm debating on putting new gears... thanks a lot to you guys.