Differential Cover Id Tags.

I have a 1991 jeep comanche with a dana 44, I did the rear disc conversion on mine, but the shop were i did it lost the tags for the differential. like where the numbers for gear ratio are, etc. is there anyway to find those, are those really important?

i know for sure my Gear ratio is posi trac 3.54.. is there anything else I need to know from those tags? is there anywhere I could find some similar or something?

the ones lost are the one thats recommends limited slip oil only, and the ones with the numbers.

they did not lose the cover or screws fortunately... lol

thanks for your comments.

The gear ratio is also on your ring wheel, it's stamped in as a division like 44/11(ring wheel divided by pinionwheel). The downside is that you now have to open your diff to check the gearing ratio.

I'm not sure where to find another tag, maybe a JY?

I think the correct tag should be on the diff; but maybe I'm too anal about things like that.  :yes:   So I made my own tag using some brass stock I had lying around and stamped on the new gear ratio after regearing and that it had a Trac-lok diff inside. You can just see it in this pic bolted to the cover.

oh ok, good. I was worried it may have included some other important things in there... i might put some "universal tags" as hornbrod or something... lol... thanks to everyone. I guess this will stop the thread. ha... anyways go comanches.

I think the correct tag should be on the diff; but maybe I'm too anal about things like that.  :yes:   So I made my own tag using some brass stock I had lying around and stamped on the new gear ratio after regearing and that it had a Trac-lok diff inside. You can just see it in this pic bolted to the cover.

FYI....That undercarriage is too clean.....members might start to tease you.... :brows:

FYI....That undercarriage[/size] is too clean.....members might start to tease you.... :brows:

Tease away. Don't bother me at all.  :yes:

If you know your gear ratio and you know what fluid to put in it because of the limited slip, why do you need a tag? Lots of vehicles driving around without tags, don't worry about it.

Correct. The only external tags Dana Spicer puts on their axles are the gear ratio and if it's a limited slip or posi, the correct diff fluid to use in it. The rest of the info about the axle is stamped on the axle tube.

I wouldn't worry about it. Most good gear oils have LS additives in them already

????Really? Got a source for this information? I have never heard this.

The gear oils I buy all state that like Red Line, Royal Purple