Weird Clutch Issue

I have a weird issue that just started. The clutch is being picky. Sometimes it engaged other times it doesn't almost as if its tossing a coin if its going to engage or not.

It in an internal slave AX-15 with a new slave and new disc. We've bleed it several times and still hit or miss. 

Probably should mention that the rear main started leaking on a cross country trek and I would not be shocked if some oil worked its way in there. 

Thoughts? Further tests to help determine causes?

My best guess (from having a simalar problem) would be the small rubber or plastic end seal is split or torn.

have a look at this thread ......in the 5th picture down....the one of the master exploded it is the piece tagged #9

http://comancheclub.com/topic/41742-clutch-master-rebuild-mod/

I had one that was intermittent.....sometimes needing a double pump to engage.....then stopped working all together.....when I took it apart I found that the ruber end (#9) had split fallen off the rod and was actually stuck in the output hole.

I guess the easiest test I can think of would be to take off the output line (if you had another chunk of line laying around or buy a piece at the parts store .....break line will work) stick on the other line run into a clean container so you can observe and contain and re-use the fluid........ open the reservoir and have some fluid handy......have a helper press the clutch slowly a few times.....keep the reservoir topped up......as he presses it observe.....is it always a strong even flow....does it ever "Hic-cup"....if so the master needs a rebuild or replace.

I just re-read your OP.....when you say the rear main is leaking.....do you mean the MC is leaking back into the cab?

Rear main on the engine. It blew about 7 Qts of oil over 500 miles.

Ok

Never soaked a clutch down like that so can't relate....but if it was soaked in oil I would think you would be able to smell it burning off the clutch... :dunno:

Try what a said above...pull the line and cycle the clutch through a couple of reservoirs full of fluid.....see if it is pushing a strong stream at the out put   :thumbsup:

As in you push the clutch petal in and it went to the floor and you were unable to shift unless you speed shifted it. Did a test of 20 attempts each 5 mins apart. Only failed to engage 6 out of 20 attempts.

Also I am doubting that the disc is covered in oil. Seems to me that if it was soaked it would be slipping and after more than a few Squeal-outs later is doesnt feel like its slipping.

Rear main on the engine. It blew about 7 Qts of oil over 500 miles.

Ok

Never soaked a clutch down like that so can't relate....but if it was soaked in oil I would think you would be able to smell it burning off the clutch... :dunno:

Try what a said above...pull the line and cycle the clutch through a couple of reservoirs full of fluid.....see if it is pushing a strong stream at the out put   :thumbsup:

Problem is the exhaust is also right there and it was all over the exhaust which was burning as well. 

I had a similar problem when my pilot bearing failed. my clutch felt normal but sometimes the bearing would lock to the input shaft and not allow me to shift. you could also feel it dragging if you tried to stop in gear. if your clutch pedal is going soft then this is not the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

clutch pedal add one more to the mix of things happing ...my friend mj lost his clutch ..it was a two for one trouble -the hydraulic master blew out and  pedal broke where the weld was not done from the factory so heads up ..if take replace your master take out the pedal and get it welded ,add gusset angle from the connector where the arm  to master connector mate ...its a 45* angle 1/4 thick ....outside area is not welded but inside area must be welded ......