87 Comanche Won't Start

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I mean did you test the old one before you replaced it or the new one after?

Renix CPS Testing and Adjusting

Renix CPSs have to put out a strong enough signal to the ECU so that it will provide spark. 

Most tests for the CPS suggest checking it for an ohms value. This is unreliable and can cause some wasted time and aggravation in your diagnosis of a no-start issue as the CPS will test good when in fact it is bad.

The problem with the ohms test is you can have the correct amount of resistance through the CPS but it isn’t generating enough voltage to trigger the ECU to provide spark. 

Unplug the harness connector from the CPS. Using your voltmeter set on AC volts and probing both wires in the connector going to the CPS, crank the engine over. It won’t start with the CPS disconnected. 

You should get a reading of  .5 AC volts. 

If you are down in the .35 AC volts range or lower on your meter reading, you can have intermittent crank/no-start conditions from your Renix Jeep. Some NEW CPSs  (from the big box parts stores) have registered only .2 AC volts while reading the proper resistance!!  That’s a definite no-start condition. Best to buy your CPS from Napa or the dealer.

Sometimes on a manual transmission equipped Renix Jeep there is an accumulation of debris on the tip of the CPS. It’s worn off clutch material and since the CPS is a magnet, the metal sticks to the tip of the CPS causing a reduced voltage signal. You MAY get by with cleaning the tip of the CPS off. 

A little trick for increasing the output of your CPS is to drill out the upper mounting hole to 3/8” from the stock 5/16”, or slot it so the CPS bracket rests on the bell housing when pushed down. Then, when mounting it, hold the CPS down as close to the flywheel as you can while tightening the bolts.

Revised 01-26-2013

Definitely test the new one.  I got a new one for my 1988 when I was doing the trans swap on it and it tested out worse than the old one that came off.  Old one was reading .36 Volts, and the new one was reading .30 right out of the box.  Luckily the new-new one tested at .60   

Something else You may want to do.  Replace the fuel filter if you haven't already.  Modern fuel does not like to sit for very long, and the fact that the truck sat for over 2 years would definitely have me going over and cleaning up the fuel system.

Extremely rare. Is the braided strap there that goes from the firewall to the back of the head?

Before wasting any more money on parts, I would do a coupla things.

Posts 1 through 3 in the link in my signature.

The CPS signal may not be getting to the ECM through the C101 connector......

The module under the coil is good? Mine quit up in Canada. Fortunately at my son's place so I was able to score the coilpack and ignition module off his and I got back on the road again. There is a repair wiring harness for the CPS that goes directly to the computer as well. Last time I bought a dealer CPS it came with it (in '99). Mine turned out to be a short somewhere that overheated the fuel injection box, but after it cooled it ran another 20 minutes again. Turned out the PO grounded the heater fan to the ECM and aimed the defrost hose directly at it too.

The “this worked for me” advice.

Try some diagnostics on your own to determine the cause. Just because my ride does ____________ and I did __________ to fix it, should actually mean nothing to you, unless of course you just like wasting money.

More like going at it in a logical manner. Find out what works and what doesn't. Especially since he did what you said to do first and still has no spark. According to your own logic, it should be running by now.

So installed the new Cps. Refressed the grounds, c101 cleaning, and connector refressing. Still no start... Any ideas?

More like going at it in a logical manner. Find out what works and what doesn't. Especially since he did what you said to do first and still has no spark. According to your own logic, it should be running by now.

So installed the new Cps. Refressed the grounds, c101 cleaning, and connector refressing. Still no start... Any ideas?

Not really. Those are known issues which if not addressed can cause owners to chase their tails replacing parts all willy-nilly. High success rate in fixing Renix Jeeps. Proven so. They need to be addressed first to be sure they aren't the problem. Free and less than an hours work. 

Seems like you say that on every site we're both on. Attitude is everything. Mine is positive about trying to help people, even if it's outside the "box". I notice that after people go through your tips and the ones that don't have it fixed by that point, you seem to have no answers for them so you stop posting. You do a good service with your grouping of what to do first and they really should listen to that. Calling anything people do or suggest that is outside your box wrong is a disservice. I have been taking care to NOT shoot from the hip, yet you still treat me like I'm the enemy. If I post something wrong, call me on it. I'm man enough for that. Saying that NOTHING I do or say is right is wrong and there are people leaving because of it.

I am here to truly help people. I'm not paid to do it.

Seems like you say that on every site we're both on. Attitude is everything. Mine is positive about trying to help people, even if it's outside the "box". I notice that after people go through your tips and the ones that don't have it fixed by that point, you seem to have no answers for them so you stop posting. You do a good service with your grouping of what to do first and they really should listen to that. Calling anything people do or suggest that is outside your box wrong is a disservice. I have been taking care to NOT shoot from the hip, yet you still treat me like I'm the enemy. If I post something wrong, call me on it. I'm man enough for that. Saying that NOTHING I do or say is right is wrong and there are people leaving because of it.

I am here to truly help people. I'm not paid to do it.

No answers after my tips? Are you kidding me? Check with some of the folks on these forums. Why do I get "thank you" PMs almost daily because I stuck with them? I'm not positive? I'm positive I don't want folks taking poor advice and spending their time and money chasing down yours, or anyone else's rabbit trail. I don't help people?

Your "outside the box" thinking is extremely distracting not only to the folks seeking help, but to those of us who have to go back in and straighten things out after you've "shotgunned" multiple posts with mostly nonsense. I'm thinking "out of the box" is just another excuse for irresponsible posting. 

If you call this "taking care not shooting from the hip", you're saying 2 things. One is that you have been shooting from the hip until recently. Since when? When I called you on it?

And two, what if I hadn't done that? Would it have continued? 

I made a noted effort to say in my previous posts that not ALL of your info or advice was bad. Go re-read that. 

Now you're the victim.......

I care about these people. I don't want them to waste time and money, and I don't wanna waste my time or anyone else's cleaning up after your "out of the box" suggestions. You've admitted that you were "kidding" when I challenged you, or that you had some other issue like dyslexia or the like and sometimes got stuff backwards. Holy crap, man. How is that my fault? If you truly have issues regarding dyslexia or other maladies, please try using some extra effort before posting.

Who is leaving because I challenged you? Anyone out there? Post up. I wanna know.  

Are you thinking I am paid for what I do, and you're not? ....Sheesh.