Multiple Keys?

I couldn't find a definite answer for this but I just picked up an 86 Comanche and the owner gave me 2 keys. One only works the doors and one only works the ignition. I saw some mention of the "single key mod" but wasn't really sure if it was a mod or if it was just a joke because its common to have to replace the ignition cylinder. I would assume one key should work doors and ignition, but i've never owned one before so i'm not sure. I'd assume i could rekey the ignition to match the doors, or buy 3 new cylinders with keys. Just curious what the real deal is with this.

Yeah, it used to be common for cars to have separate keys for the doors and ignition. My dad has said at one point he had four factory keys for one car, doors, ignition, fuel door, and trunk.

At any rate, when they switched to the single key, it's still almost two keys. Typically one half of the key works the doors and the other half works the ignition.

If you wanted to upgrade to a single key, I don't imagine it would be too difficult. You'd need to get the door and ignition cylinders from the same vehicle with keys (might get lucky at a junk yard, although they don't always leave the keys anywhere obvious). The door cylinders likely won't be an issue. I don't imagine the ignition cylinder will be either, but if it is, you should be able to just swap the whole column out, which I'm told may even be easier than pulling the lock cylinder.

At any rate, when they switched to the single key, it's still almost two keys. Typically one half of the key works the doors and the other half works the ignition.

The 91's were the first MJ/XJ models with the single key. One key for doors, ignition, glove box, etc.

Gog, I don't understand what you are saying above. Please explain?

EDIT:  Never mind. I re-read what you said - double-sided keys.

As already stated, two keys were the standard for the early XJs and MJ.

It is NOT possible to rekey the ignition or the doors to use one of the original keys. I tried. The first locksmith just said, "Nope, can't be done." Later I talked to a younger locksmith whom I know through other activities. He explained that the ignition used six tumblers ("bits," in locksmith lingo), and the doors used five tumblers. The spacing is different, so it's impossible to make one key that can operate both a six-bit lock cylinder and a five-bit cylinder.

Your ignition key should be rectangular (with rounded corners) and the door key should be oval. If you look at the key part closely, you'll see that they are similar, but they are not the same.

It is possible to change both the ignition cylinder and the door cylinders to later, Chrysler one-key locks. But I thought I had read that the Chrysler door cylinders don't fit the early doors correctly.

??? Huh?

The single keys are double sided, and both sides are identical.

The 91's were the first MJ/XJ models with the single key. One key for doors, ignition, glove box, etc.

Gog, I don't understand what you are saying above. Please explain?

EDIT:  Never mind. I re-read what you said - double-sided keys.

Yeah, they're double sided, but as Eagle points out, both sides are identical.

The tip of the key is for either the doors or ignition, and the rest of the key is for the other. At least that's what I've understood. A couple buddies had Neon variants back in highschool and could open each others' doors with their keys, but couldn't turn them in the ignition.

This is somewhat irrelevant to OP's question, though. Don't know if I should have brought it up...

• 2 years later...

Actually, the ignition and doors use most of the same area of the key on the single key vehicles.   Sometimes the door cylinders have one or two tumblers less than the ignition, but they don't use completely different areas of the key. 

As for the GM style setup, does anyone know if it's possible to put a '91-94 single key style cylinder into an '86-90 column?  I put newer doors on our Comanche, and re-keyed the new door cylinders to match my TJ key, but I'd like to follow suit with the ignition key as well, so one key works everything in both of our jeeps.  Doing the same with our two GMC trucks...  Going to be so nice.  :)     I'm hoping I don't need to find a '91-94 column, as they're fairly rare it seems...

Looks like Jeep Driver thinks no...   If nobody can say for sure, I guess a trip to the auto parts store to do a comparison is in my future...

Thanks!

My '93 parts XJ has the older style lock cylinder in it. Can't guarantee it's the original column, but it looks the same as the one in my '91 with the newer key.

Given that it's a GM Saginaw column, depending on the year of your GMC's, you might even be able to get those two on the same key as the Jeeps...

They changed over in '91. My '91 has a single key for everything. Funnily (scarily) enough I can start my truck (but not unlock the doors) with the key to a GM car that's 13 years newer. Just that fact is about enough to make me consider re-keying entirely when I swap over to the tilt column I have sitting around.

Just to be clear, I was saying that even though they changed in '91, (and my '91 has the newer style) the '93 XJ I got for parts happens to have an older style ignition key, but it's got the newer key for the doors. Whether the entire column or just the ignition cylinder was changed, I'm not sure how to tell.

The GMC key does fit in the Jeep, but the GMC doesn't like the Jeep key...   I suppose I could just make them all use the GMC pattern, and then one key would fit them all...

I found an article online that suggested the one-key style cylinder will go in the older column, but that the retention is different...  I'm going to check it out.  

C

Just to be clear, I was saying that even though they changed in '91, (and my '91 has the newer style) the '93 XJ I got for parts happens to have an older style ignition key, but it's got the newer key for the doors. Whether the entire column or just the ignition cylinder was changed, I'm not sure how to tell.

Not disagreeing with you, just adding to the consensus  :thumbsup:  Although that does surprise me that there's interchangeability between the Renix years and HO, whether it's the entire column or just the cylinder. (I'd be less surprised if an old school cylinder was thrown in the 1993 column - doubt the GM sourced column itself changed much)

Just making sure we're on the same page. :thumbsup:

Also, if anyone happens to know how to tell the difference between columns, I'm all ears. It's sitting in the basement, so as long as I don't need to do too much disassembly, I can check pretty quickly.

Maybe a bit off topic but when I got my 89, the bumps on the ignition key were pretty much worn off. Didn't seem to make a difference and now by chance I find it will start just fine without any key at all!   How can this be?

I currently have a 92 XJ auto tilt column in my 88 5spd MJ. The wiring connectors are all the same but the 91 and newer have the blue/black side reversed and flipped upside down. After pulling apart a 92,and 93 they are near identical wiring/connector wise to my 88, thing changed dramatically at the connectors in 94 though. There are a few different ones in the 93 (courtesy lights and minor things).

Since I have the newer Chrysler style key in my 88 ignition ... I've toyed with the idea of rekey-ing it to match my XJ.

I still have the earlier GM door locks though, but will eventually find newer doors to swap so I can lose a key off my chain.

It's pretty easy to re-key the cylinder once you have it out.   I've done several now, so I have a decent selection of tumblers for doors and ignition.  (They're not the same.)  

And if I'm missing a number that I otherwise need, I just leave it out.   Even with a few missing, the chances of someone having a key that lines up the remainders is slim.   I don't think thieves even try a key to see if it works, so as long as it doesn't just turn free, you're good, right? :)

Missing tumblers don't stop the cylinder from turning...  Take them all out and any key will work.  Or no key at all.  :)

Chris

For those that "heard" that door lock cyl do not swap between early and late model.. false!

I have late model XJ doors on my MJ, that have the factory single-sided GM key lock cyl.

Since most of the vehicles I have owned have had 2 separate keys, I do not mind much. But, a single same-style key would be nice.

I have a new complete set of matching lock cyl to swap into my XJ. Pass. side door has always been missing the lock cyl since I have owned it. Maybe, when I get to the point of swapping them I will see if I can key them the same as my ign. key.

Yeah, now try later (92 up) model lock cylinders on older doors, that's when the problems start. The earlier hole is bigger than the later models and leaves a good size gap. I have a set of lock cylinders I was going to toss into my stock 88 doors, once I installed the first one I swapped back and started hunting for newer doors.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, no more guessing on the ignition cylinder. 

I Just removed the GM style cylinder from my '86 and replaced it with a Standard US211L ignition lock cylinder (with double sided keys).  It was a direct swap with ZERO issues.  The only difference is that the original GM style cylinder was retained by a T20 torx head bolt, while the new Standard cylinder has a spring loaded clip that holds it in place.   The slot for the spring clip is already in the column, you just can't put the bolt back in.  

The Standard cylinder even uses the same tumblers that all the later Chrysler Ignition cylinders use, so it's really easy to re-key it to fit another key.  

The column is the same for '86-91 trucks, which basically means the column is interchangeable from '86 up through the end, as long as you don't mind the two sided key in your earlier truck.   I don't know if the hole for the torx bolt exists in the later columns or not, so it might not be possible to downgrade a newer column to the older style cylinder.   

But this definitely fixes the issue of newer doors on an older truck...  Just switch the ignition to a new style double sided key, and one key fits all!!  I even got a glove box latch from the JY and re-keyed it! 

Easy-peasy!  (If you can get that dang little circle clip off the steering shaft, that is!!  :) 

BTW, to end all rumors, the double sided key uses BOTH sides of the key to run the tumblers.  Every other tumbler is spring loaded from the opposite direction.  This is true of both the door cylinders and the ignition cylinder.   

:)

So maybe you can answer this as well:
I have two double-sided keys (generic cut blanks, not the originals) that came with my '91 MJ. They both turn the ignition just fine. But one of them I can pull out of the tumbler after I've turned it on, but the other one won't come out. The only difference I can find between the two is that the one that comes out is cut ever so slightly narrower than the other. Any guesses as to why?

Also, for getting the lock plate circlip out, get yourself one of these:

41aTSCAVaRL._SY355_.jpg

Steering lock plate removal tool. You should be able to find one at any parts store, fairly cheap too. It presses down against the lock plate, compressing the spring and making it much easier to get that circlip out. Also makes it easier to get the clip back on.