Buyer's Guide Test (Please Post Opinions!)

Minuit

This is the thread I'll be posting my buyer's guide tests into. I'm looking for opinions on formatting, etc. that would make this as easy to read as possible. I want this to be a community effort so any and all opinions, concerns, comments, drunken ramblings, insults, and repentances are welcome here. This is by no means representative of what this will actually end up looking like.

Regular CC text: Arial 14pt

Here's some bare-bones sample text that's not complete and probably looks stupid as well but this is just a proof of concept. The drivetrain section is pretty universal so it probably isn't a very good indicator of something specific to Comanches! I'm just getting opinions on the formatting for now!

Jeep Comanche Buyer's Guide
(main title, arial 36pt)

Disclaimer: This guide contains information and dates specific to the Jeep Comanche (MJ) and dates in this guide reflect Jeep Comanche (1986-1992) model years only.

Drivetrain
(subtitle, arial 24pt)

Engines
(Subsection title, arial 18pt)

nEVkq95l.jpg

2.1L Renault J8S I4 Diesel (1986, early 1987?): The rarest by far of the available engines. Although this engine has a poor reputation and parts are extremely scarce, many Comanche Club members consider 2.1L-equipped Comanches highly desirable due to their rarity (less than 100 diesel Comanches are estimated to exist in the United States). The 2.1L is a belt-driven overhead camshaft engine.

Diesel Comanche owners: Automan2164, jeepcomj (former), opsled (former), I'm probably forgetting a few.

Power output: 87hp, ?? ft-lbs

4.0L AMC 242 I6 (1987-1992): The final version of AMC's Inline 6 design, the 4.0L engine is well known for its reliablility and power output. Models years 1987-1990 featured a French-developed Renix injection system, an advanced system for its time. However, the Renix system's major disadvantage is its trouble-prone electrical system. For 1991 and 1992, an improved Chrysler fuel injection system was introduced. The 4.0L engine is considered by far the most desirable of the available Comanche engine choices. The 4.0L is a chain-driven overhead valve engine that does not require regular timing maintenance.

Power output: 173 HP/220 ft-lb (1987), 177 HP/224 ft-lb (1988-1990), 190 HP/225ft-lb (1991-92)

Transmissions
(Subsection title)

Aisin-Warner AW4 (1987-1992): The only automatic transmission found behind the 4.0L engine (as well as some 1987+ 2.5L engines), the 4-speed computer-controlled AW4 has an excellent reputation for reliability and power handling. From 1987 to 1991, this transmission featured a selectable "Power/Comfort" switch on the dash that adjusts shift points. Later AW4 units are permanently wired in the "Power" position. The AW4 is prone to overheating, so the installation of an external transmission cooler (writeup link goes here) is recommended. The AW4 is designed for Dexron-Mercon transmission fluid only.

Gear ratios:
1: 2.804
2: 1.531
3: 1.00
4: 0.753
R: ??

Aisin AX-15 (1989.5 (more exact date of introduction?)-1992): The 5-speed manual option found behind the 4.0L engine from late 1989 to 1992, this transmission is considered more reliable than the Peugeot BA-10/5 that it replaced. Brass syncromeshes necessitates use of sulfur-free gear oil. Redline MT-90 fluid is recommended. Work in progress etc

Gear ratios:
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
R:

Transfer Cases
To be completed

Axles

Front Axles

2WD Beam (1986-1992): All 2-wheel-drive Comanches feature a one-piece metal shaft in place of a driven axle.

Dana 30 (1986-1992): The front axle used in all 4-wheel-drive Comanches, the Dana 30 is considered adequate for light to moderate off-road use with tires of up to 33-inch diameter.

Gear ratios: To be completed

Rear Axles
(sub subsection title, itallic standard text)

Comanche rear axles, due to its spring-under-axle construction, have spring perches mounted in different locations from an equivalent Cherokee axle. (more swap info to come)

AMC-20 (1986): Differentiated from other axles by a perfectly round cover, the AMC-20 is rarely found in 1986 Comanches with the Metric Ton package. The MJ AMC-20 is considered similar in strength to the Dana 44, although it enjoys far less aftermarket support and is less well known.

Gear ratios:
To be completed

Dana 35 (1986-1992): The standard rear axle used in Comanches not featuring the Metric Ton package. This axle is considered to be adequate for on-road use as well as light off-road use. The Dana 35 is prone to axle shaft and differential failure under high-stress situations. Some Dana 35 units feature a Trak-Lok limited slip differential.

Gear ratios:
2.5L, manual: 4.10
2.5L, automatic: 4.56
4.0L, manual: 3.07
4.0L, automatic: 3.55

Dana 44 (1987-1992): By far the most desirable factory rear axle, the Dana 44 is found under 1987-1992 Comanches with the Metric Ton package. It is far more durable than the Dana 35 under all circumstances, and is capable of supporting tires as large as 38" without significant risk of failure. As with the Dana 35, some units feature limited slip differentials.

Gear ratios:
To be completed

Up Next: Renix vs HO elaboration, filling it out with an introduction

AX-15 gear ratios listed in red below:  (Reference: <http://www.manoian.net/jeep/gear_ratio_calculator.html> and also Novak)

You should also list TF904, AX-4, AX-5 and BA-10/5 and list the engines they're found behind.

Also, the reverse gear ratio for the AW-4 automatic is : 2.39

Aisin AX-15 (1989.5 (more exact date of introduction?)-1992): The 5-speed manual option found behind the 4.0L engine from late 1989 to 1992, this transmission is considered more reliable than the Peugeot BA-10/5 that it replaced. Brass syncromeshes necessitates use of sulfur-free gear oil. Redline MT-90 fluid is recommended. Work in progress etc

Gear ratios:
1: 3.83  
2: 2.33 
3: 1.44 
4: 1.00
5: 0.79
R: 4.22

For the gear ratios, I'd like to break it down a bit more... See the red.  I also believe that these gear ratios would hold true in the D44 (and AMC-20), since the engine/transmission used would determine the final differential gear ratios, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Dana 35 (1986-1992): The standard rear axle used in Comanches not featuring the Metric Ton package. This axle is considered to be adequate for on-road use as well as light off-road use. The Dana 35 is prone to axle shaft and differential failure under high-stress situations. Some Dana 35 units feature a Trak-Lok limited slip differential.

Gear ratios:
2.5L, 5-speed manual: 4.10
2.5L, 4-speed manual: 3.55
2.5L, 3-speed automatic: 4.56
4.0L, 5-speed manual: 3.07
4.0L, 4-speed automatic: 3.55

Good ideas. More information is coming soon. Obviously this is an extremely early test phase and I won't/can't get every piece of information in one iteration. Breaking up gear ratios more is a good idea, and I'll go ahead and put that in. Here's some more stuff about engines and transmissions!

v0.02

Disclaimer: This guide contains information and dates specific to the Jeep Comanche (MJ) and dates in this guide reflect Jeep Comanche (1986-1992) model years only.

Outline

1: Introduction

2: Overview

3: Maintenance Information

4: Issues and Solutions

5: Conclusion

Part 2: Overview

I: Drivetrain

Engines

nEVkq95l.jpg

2.1L Renault J8S I4 Turbo Diesel (1986, early 1987): The rarest by far of the available engines. Although this engine has a poor reputation and parts are extremely scarce, many Comanche Club members consider 2.1L-equipped Comanches highly desirable due to their rarity (less than 100 diesel Comanches are estimated to exist in the United States). The 2.1L is a belt-driven overhead camshaft engine.

Diesel Comanche owners: Automan2164, jeepcomj (former), opsled (former), I'm probably forgetting a few.

Power output: 87hp, ?? ft-lbs

2.5L AMC 150 I4 (1986-1992): The standard and most common engine found in the Comanche throughout its production, the 2.5L engine is based on the highly reliable AMC Inline 6 family of engines. It was offered in two major generations during its production run. Although lacking in power compared to 6-cylinder engines, 2.5L engines are considered strong for their size and are expected to last well past 200,000 miles if well maintained. The manufacturer specifies 10W-30 motor oil, but recommendations vary. The 2.5L is a chain-driven overhead valve engine that does not require regular timing maintenance.

- Renault-Bendix Throttle Body Injection (1986-1990): A fairly simple and reliable single-port injection system, the 2.5L TBI was Renault-Bendix's first Jeep engine control system. It is considerably simpler than Multi-Point Injection systems and is not prone to as many electrical issues as a contemporary 4.0L engine.

- Mopar 'Power Tech' Multi-Point Injection (1991-1992): An updated system similar in design to the system used in the 4.0L engine, the Mopar 2.5L engine is similar in many respects to the 4.0L version and much of the same information applies.

Fluid capacity: 4 qt.

Power output: 117 HP/ 139 ft-lb (1986-1990), 130 HP/ 149 ft-lb (1991-1992)

2.8L General Motors LR2 V6 (1986): The original 6-cylinder option in 1986 Comanches, the 2.8L engine featured an unreliable carburetor and failure-prone oiling systems, tarnishing its reputation in the Jeep community. With its low power output, poor reliability, and marginal fuel economy compared to later engines, 1986 Comanches with the 2.8L engine are considered some of the least desirable examples. Despite its poor reputation, some 2.8L engines are known to have lasted well past 200,000 miles.

Fluid capacity: 4.5 qt.

Power output: 110 HP/150 ft-lb (1986)

4.0L AMC 242 I6 (1987-1992): The legendarily reliable successor to the 258 inline 6, the 4.0L engine appeared in Comanches in two different generations, with a great deal of difference between the two. The manufacturer specifies 10W-30 motor oil, but a wide variety of recommendations can be found. Due to their high zinc content (which an engine of this vintage was designed for), diesel engine oils are frequently recommended. 4.0L engines are generally expected to easily reach 200,000 miles without rebuilding if well maintained. The 4.0L is a chain-driven overhead valve engine that does not require regular timing maintenance.

- Renault-Bendix (Renix) Multi-Point Injection (1987-1990): The first iteration of the 4.0L engine's fuel injection system, the French-developed Renix engine control system was considered quite advanced for its time and is in some ways more complex than its successor. Although a significant improvement on the electronic carburetors used by its predecessors, the Renix system is prone to electrical issues, particularly revolving around its insufficient chassis grounds. The Renix system does not feature easily testable diagnostics. Certain tools can interface with this system, but it does not store trouble codes, requiring testing while the engine is running. Although the Renix system is more prone to electrical issues, a well cared for Renix example can equal a Mopar engine in reliability.

- Mopar 'Power Tech' (High Output) Multi-Point Injection (1991-1992): A significant upgrade to the previous Renix system, the Mopar system eliminates the knock sensor, EGR valve, a number of vacuum lines and adds first generation On-Board Diagnostics (OBD1) controlled through a 'Check Engine' light. The electrical system of this engine is considerably more robust than the Renix system, with far fewer ground-related issues. Revised cylinder heads and intake manifolds considerably increased high-end power at the expense of a higher torque peak.

Fluid capacity: 6 qt.

Power output: 173 HP/220 ft-lb (1987), 177 HP/224 ft-lb (1988-1990), 190 HP/225 ft-lb (1991-92)

Transmissions

Chrysler TorqueFlite 904 (1986): The only automatic transmission option for the 1986 model year and the only Chrysler transmission used in Comanches, this 3-speed automatic was paired to some 2.8L and 2.5L engines. Although quite reliable, it was replaced for 1987 by the computer-controlled AW4. The manufacturer specifies ATF+3 fluid, which is no longer in production. Substitute ATF+4 fluid.

Fluid capacity: 8-11qt. split between fluid pan and torque converter. Verify fill level using dipstick.

Gear ratios:

1: 2.45

2: 1.45

Aisin-Warner AW4 (1987-1992): The only automatic transmission found behind the 4.0L engine (as well as some 1987+ 2.5L engines), the 4-speed computer-controlled AW4 has an excellent reputation for reliability and power handling. From 1987 to 1991, this transmission featured a selectable "Power/Comfort" switch on the dash that adjusts shift points. Later AW4 units are permanently wired in the "Power" position. The AW4 is prone to overheating, so the installation of an external transmission cooler (writeup link goes here) is recommended. The AW4 is designed for Dexron-Mercon transmission fluid only.

Fluid capacity: 8-10 qt. split between torque converter and fluid pan. Verify fill level using dipstick.

Gear ratios:
R: 2.39

(omitting Borg-Warner T5, no proof has been found of its use in MJs)

Aisin AX-4/AX-5 (1986-1992?): The manual transmission options for the 2.1L, 2.5L, and 2.8L engines, the AX-4 and AX-5 are light-duty transmissions considered sufficient for the output of their engines. While both transmissions are essentially the same design, the AX-5 features an added fifth overdrive gear for highway use. 10W-30 motor oil (regular or synthetic) is specified by the manufacturer, but Pennzoil Syncromesh and Redline MT-90 fluids are also frequently recommended. DO NOT lubricate Aisin manual transmissions with GL-5 gear oil, as the transmissions feature brass synchromesh units that will be destroyed by standard gear oils.

Fluid capacity: 3.3 qt.

Gear ratios:

1: 3.92
5 (AX-5): 0.85
R: 4.74

Peugeot BA-10/5 (1987-1989.5):

Aisin AX-15 (1989.5-1992): The 5-speed manual transmission option found behind 4.0L engines after late 1989. The AX-15 is a medium-duty manual transmission that is considered adequate for the 4.0L engine's power output. As with the AX-4 and AX-5, the manufacturer specifies 10W-30 motor oil, but Pennzoil Synchromesh and Redline MT-90 fluids are frequently recommended. DO NOT lubricate Aisin manual transmissions with GL-5 gear oil, as the transmissions feature brass synchromesh units that will be destroyed by standard gear oils.

Gear ratios:

Transfer Cases
To be completed

Axles

Front Axles

Axle stuff later.

Gear ratios:

Up Next: Finishing up drivetrains, adding some actual MJ specific information

In my opinion, what you have so far is just a generic compilation of comanche related information, which has been done over and oooover. I was expecting something that contained all the pit falls and things to watch out for when thinking of buying and MJ, such as:

How bad are Comanches about rusting? Where should i look?

even the newest comanche is over 20 years old, so therefore unless it was garage kept all these years or has spent its entire life in a very arid climate (Arizona) it stands a good chance that there will be rust somewhere on it.

"Check for rust at these key points,

driver side floor board, fender wells, and rocker panels" ,

(include pictures that show rust in these areas)

What rear axle should i look for?

"9/10 MJs came with this rear axle (insert pic of D35), but you should look for this (insert pic of D44) shaped rear differential cover" then explain briefly the other available axle (D20, insert pic) and also how aftermarket axles might come into play. Briefly explain the D35's less than stellar rapport, but act as if its rolling death trap.

Front axle?

4wd MJs came factory with the Dana 30, (insert Pic) high pinion blah blah blah,

2wd MJs, metal tube blah blah blah (this should be VERY short)

Did comanches have "packages"? Which one is the "best"?   (include a picture of a truck for each level)

Laredo - top of the line, power everything

Sport truck - not a clue, just decals?

Eliminator - Decals, different interior color scheme

Pioneer/Base - Decals, different interior color scheme 

Comanche X - Not a clue, 86 year model only yes?

Comanche XL - ?

Metric tonne - What years? More payload/heavier leafsprings, D44 rear axle, RARE. (picture of heavier leafs, D44, Metric tonne badge)

LWB - Width and Length dimesions (pic)

SWB - "                                                   "

Explain each years greatest strength/weakness, BRIEFLY.

1986:

Engine:

4.0 I6 not offered,

2.5 I4 carberated, underpowered, but reliable

2.8 V6 carberated, complex vacuum system, underpowered, chronically unreliable

2.1 I4 Turbo Diesel, Exceptionally rare, very high MPG, parts = unobtainium, finicky/not as reliable as the 2.5

Trans:

torqueflite 904 (don't know)

ax-4

ax-5

T-case:

np 205 (don't know)

1987 - 1988.5

Pro: 4.0 became available

Renix fuel injection

AX-15 became available

Con: C101 connector (blah blah blah) what you can do about it. . . .

1988.5 - 1990

Pro: no C101

And so on and so forth. Try and make something that your mom could use and still be able to determine the very best MJ to buy for the money. Not only does your mom not need to know about transmission drive ratios, axle shaft dimesions, or the need for sulfur free gear oil she doesnt want to know. The average person, whom i assume this is going to be written for, only needs to know the things that are critically important. If they the really detailed info, put a link at the bottom of the page. If you try to include everything that i think you are trying to include and try to give some buyer's advice you are going to lose all that try to read this but the most savy comanche addicts, such as ourselves.

I believe you have very good intentions and would like to see you continue your work, i just believe you are trying to do to much.    

Best of luck,

Cracker   :wavey:

EDIT: Add where to find production date

Driver's side door (Provide pic)

Engine bay fire wall, driver's side (Provide pic)

Glove compartment (i think)

In my opinion, what you have so far is just a generic compilation of comanche related information, which has been done over and oooover. I was expecting something that contained all the pit falls and things to watch out for when thinking of buying and MJ, such as:

How bad are Comanches about rusting? Where should i look?

even the newest comanche is over 20 years old, so therefore unless it was garage kept all these years or has spent its entire life in a very arid climate (Arizona) it stands a good chance that there will be rust somewhere on it.

"Check for rust at these key points,

driver side floor board, fender wells, and rocker panels" ,

(include pictures that show rust in these areas)

What rear axle should i look for?

"9/10 MJs came with this rear axle (insert pic of D35), but you should look for this (insert pic of D44) shaped rear differential cover" then explain briefly the other available axle (D20, insert pic) and also how aftermarket axles might come into play. Briefly explain the D35's less than stellar rapport, but act as if its rolling death trap.

Front axle?

4wd MJs came factory with the Dana 30, (insert Pic) high pinion blah blah blah,

2wd MJs, metal tube blah blah blah (this should be VERY short)

Did comanches have "packages"? Which one is the "best"?   (include a picture of a truck for each level)

Laredo - top of the line, power everything

Sport truck - not a clue, just decals?

Eliminator - Decals, different interior color scheme

Pioneer/Base - Decals, different interior color scheme 

Comanche X - Not a clue, 86 year model only yes?

Comanche XL - ?

Metric tonne - What years? More payload/heavier leafsprings, D44 rear axle, RARE. (picture of heavier leafs, D44, Metric tonne badge)

LWB - Width and Length dimesions (pic)

SWB - "                                                   "

Explain each years greatest strength/weakness, BRIEFLY.

1986:

Engine:

4.0 I6 not offered,

2.5 I4 carberated, underpowered, but reliable

2.8 V6 carberated, complex vacuum system, underpowered, chronically unreliable

2.1 I4 Turbo Diesel, Exceptionally rare, very high MPG, parts = unobtainium, finicky/not as reliable as the 2.5

Trans:

torqueflite 904 (don't know)

ax-4

ax-5

T-case:

np 205 (don't know)

1987 - 1988.5

Pro: 4.0 became available

Renix fuel injection

AX-15 became available

Con: C101 connector (blah blah blah) what you can do about it. . . .

1988.5 - 1990

Pro: no C101

And so on and so forth. Try and make something that your mom could use and still be able to determine the very best MJ to buy for the money. Not only does your mom not need to know about transmission drive ratios, axle shaft dimesions, or the need for sulfur free gear oil she doesnt want to know. The average person, whom i assume this is going to be written for, only needs to know the things that are critically important. If they the really detailed info, put a link at the bottom of the page. If you try to include everything that i think you are trying to include and try to give some buyer's advice you are going to lose all that try to read this but the most savy comanche addicts, such as ourselves.

I believe you have very good intentions and would like to see you continue your work, i just believe you are trying to do to much.    

Best of luck,

Cracker   :wavey:

EDIT: Add where to find production date

Driver's side door (Provide pic)

Engine bay fire wall, driver's side (Provide pic)

Glove compartment (i think)

I appreciate your reply and I will certainly keep your opinions in mind. However, do keep in mind that what you see here is little more than a test of the formatting - the page layout. This is a very early stage and everything is subject to change. The reason I chose to start with generic drivetrain stuff is it's easy to research and it's commonly known information around here, so CC members can get an idea for how the final product will read. The actual MJ section of the buyer's guide with sections on rust, etc. will come shortly.

With that said, I disagree with your vision of how this will work. I'm not here to write another owner's manual. A heavily distilled "this truck has engine. is very good engine" guide isn't my idea either, although something of that type does have its merits. My goal, ambitious as it may be, is to have a single document that contains 90% of everything a potential MJ owner will need to know to make an informed purchasing decision. How is someone supposed to know what a C101 connector is and why it's a bad thing from a list of model years? I won't write a novel over it but at least some information backing up the pros and cons of certain things is necessary. In my own opinion, someone who "doesn't want to know" what type of gear oil to use in their transmission is better off in a vehicle other than a 22+ year old Comanche and is certainly not the targeted audience of this guide. People who don't care about transmission gear ratios (very understandable) don't have to read that section; they can read or not read whatever they choose. With that said, MJs are old and sometimes finicky vehicles and knowing some details will go a long way in ensuring that the prospective buyer has the best possible experience with their Comanche. I do agree that 99.9% of people just don't care about crap like the exact bore and stroke of the engines, and that stuff isn't in here for a reason. Things like that and transmission/t-case spline counts are only useful to someone doing serious work to a truck they probably already own - not the goal of this guide. I don't think 3-4 lines is too much description (as long as it's relevant) for the most complicated part of an entire vehicle.

Now that that's out of the way, I think you're overestimating how big this thing will end up being. The "drivetrain" section is going to be the biggest by far and you're seeing a majority of it here. Even though we disagree, I do appreciate you taking your time to give an opinion. We all benefit from some criticism. :thumbsup:

@carnuck: I knew the AW4 ratios were a bit different. Thanks for clarifying.

@johnj: Any info about the diesel is highly appreciated. I know next to nothing about them. Thanks!

@redraptor: You're exactly the kind of person I'm looking to reach with a buyer's guide and your input is appreciated.

I am looking for an MJ right now. Here's what I'd like to see:

- quick breakdown year-by-year of changes or noteable items (change of grille, trim levels, etc.)

- separate section just for engine and one for transmissions, since they cross over different years

- list of known issues with all years (e.g. floor pan rust, rocker rust)

Don't make it too long or detailed, try to keep it in point form. If you're interested in MJ's you don't need to know gear ratios really, or too many tech specs at the buying stage. You really want an overview of what is good/bad about each year and what to look for when buying one. Tips on how easy or hard it is to fix those known issues would be helpful also. A buyers guide is a great idea.

I appreciate your reply and I will certainly keep your opinions in mind. However, do keep in mind that what you see here is little more than a test of the formatting - the page layout. This is a very early stage and everything is subject to change. The reason I chose to start with generic drivetrain stuff is it's easy to research and it's commonly known information around here, so CC members can get an idea for how the final product will read. The actual MJ section of the buyer's guide with sections on rust, etc. will come shortly.

With that said, I disagree with your vision of how this will work. I'm not here to write another owner's manual. A heavily distilled "this truck has engine. is very good engine" guide isn't my idea either, although something of that type does have its merits. My goal, ambitious as it may be, is to have a single document that contains 90% of everything a potential MJ owner will need to know to make an informed purchasing decision. How is someone supposed to know what a C101 connector is and why it's a bad thing from a list of model years? I won't write a novel over it but at least some information backing up the pros and cons of certain things is necessary. In my own opinion, someone who "doesn't want to know" what type of gear oil to use in their transmission is better off in a vehicle other than a 22+ year old Comanche and is certainly not the targeted audience of this guide. People who don't care about transmission gear ratios (very understandable) don't have to read that section; they can read or not read whatever they choose. With that said, MJs are old and sometimes finicky vehicles and knowing some details will go a long way in ensuring that the prospective buyer has the best possible experience with their Comanche. I do agree that 99.9% of people just don't care about crap like the exact bore and stroke of the engines, and that stuff isn't in here for a reason. Things like that and transmission/t-case spline counts are only useful to someone doing serious work to a truck they probably already own - not the goal of this guide. I don't think 3-4 lines is too much description (as long as it's relevant) for the most complicated part of an entire vehicle.

Now that that's out of the way, I think you're overestimating how big this thing will end up being. The "drivetrain" section is going to be the biggest by far and you're seeing a majority of it here. Even though we disagree, I do appreciate you taking your time to give an opinion. We all benefit from some criticism. :thumbsup:

@carnuck: I knew the AW4 ratios were a bit different. Thanks for clarifying.

@johnj: Any info about the diesel is highly appreciated. I know next to nothing about them. Thanks!

@redraptor: You're exactly the kind of person I'm looking to reach with a buyer's guide and your input is appreciated.

(Its very hard to convey emotion online through text, so read the following with a positive and inquisitive tone. )

Not to distract from the point of this thread, but how is listing the transmission gear ratios and fluid capacities going to help the "average" jeep enthusiast, who in all likely hood has never even heard of an MJ, determine the best one to buy? Its your guide, so therefore you absolutely should right it as you see fit, i'm just afraid the people you are trying to reach will be off put by the sheer amount of information. To us (obsessed CC members) its nothing, but to the everyone else. . . . .

animated-peanut.gif

Alright, thats enough from me. Just do what you think is best Minuit and i am sure everybody will appreciate all your time and effort. No matter what you decide i am looking forward to the finished product. :)

Trans gear ratios don't mean much to most people but diff ratio info is good to know if you plan like many of us, to ho with bigger tires. Oil weights and types will be good info for ongoing maintenance purposes. I was thinking a section with bolt on upgrades woulb be good, bit that is a lot of info. Maybe just a paragraph with a few examples and then a list of links to upgrade pages. My 2 cents.

• 3 weeks later...

Terribly sorry for the hiatus in updates - hopefully it won't last long. This time, I've incorporated some of your suggestions (for example, I hid those evil, evil gear ratios behind spoiler tags. Think of the children!) and started the year breakdown since that seems to be a pretty popular request. More will come tomorrow.

This is the part where you all get to contribute! I'd like to have pics of trucks from each model year, preferably showing the visual differences between the years. Mostly stock trucks would be preferred but anything that identifies a truck as a particular year is wanted. Grille shots, engine bay shots, anything unique to a particular model year. Send me your pics!

v0.03

Outline

6: Credits (this is where all of the major contributors will be listed, including anyone who contributes pics)

Part 1: Introduction

I: Model Year Breakdown

Although the Comanche was only offered for a short period of time, it went through many iterations, with significant changes occurring each model year. Each model year is widely considered an improvement over the previous year.

1986: Often considered the "odd duck" year, 1986 Comanches are considered the least desirable, mostly due to the. Despite this, the 2.5L engine, when paired with a manual transmission, is similar to its 1987-1990 counterparts and is quite useful. All 1986 Comanches are fitted with the 7-foot long bed.

1987: A significant improvement over the 1986 model year. The carbureted 2.8L engine was replaced by the multi-point injected 4.0L inline six, and the 3-speed TorqueFlite 727 was replaced by an Aisin-Warner 4-speed. 4.0L engines could also come equipped with the somewhat troublesome Peugeot BA-10/5 transmission.

1988: The most widely produced model year, 1988 brought relatively few changes. (??)

1989: (no C101 connector blah blah AX-15 blah blah)

1990: (what changed for 1990?)

1991: Besides 1987, the 1991 model year brought the most drastic changes to the Comanche. Both the 2.5L and 4.0L engines received significant upgrades, with the 2.5L engine receiving multi-point fuel injection similar to that of the 4.0L engine, and the 4.0L engine's fuel injection system was upgraded substantially. 1991 Comanches feature On-Board Diagnostics (OBD I), interfaced through a check engine light. Cosmetic changes were significant, including several new colors and a new front fascia. The SporTruck package also received a significant facelift, and became quite rare.

4C3lLRTm.jpg

A stock 1991 SporTruck in Silver Star Metallic paint, one of the paint colors introduced that year.

1992: The final model year for the Comanche, and the most desirable. Changes for 1992 were cosmetic, with a new color (Hunter Green Metallic) and a new graphics package (Sport) introduced.

II: Drivetrain

Engines

nEVkq95l.jpg

2.1L Renault J8S I4 Turbo Diesel (1986, early 1987): The rarest by far of the available engines. Although this engine has a poor reputation and parts are extremely scarce, many Comanche Club members consider 2.1L-equipped Comanches highly desirable due to their rarity (less than 100 diesel Comanches are estimated to exist in the United States). The 2.1L is a belt-driven overhead camshaft engine.

Power output: 87hp, 132 ft-lbs

2.5L AMC 150 I4 (1986-1992): The standard and most common engine found in the Comanche throughout its production, the 2.5L engine is based on the highly reliable AMC Inline 6 family of engines. It was offered in two major generations during its production run. Although lacking in power compared to 6-cylinder engines, 2.5L engines are considered strong for their size and are expected to last well past 200,000 miles if well maintained. The manufacturer specifies 10W-30 motor oil, but recommendations vary. The 2.5L is a chain-driven overhead valve engine that does not require regular timing maintenance.

- Renault-Bendix Throttle Body Injection (1986-1990): A fairly simple and reliable single-port injection system, the 2.5L TBI was Renault-Bendix's first Jeep engine control system. It is considerably simpler than Multi-Point Injection systems and is not prone to as many electrical issues as a contemporary 4.0L engine.

- Mopar 'Power Tech' Multi-Point Injection (1991-1992): An updated system similar in design to the system used in the 4.0L engine, the Mopar 2.5L engine is similar in many respects to the 4.0L version and much of the same information applies.

2.8L General Motors LR2 V6 (1986): The original 6-cylinder option in 1986 Comanches, the 2.8L engine featured an unreliable carburetor and failure-prone oiling systems, tarnishing its reputation in the Jeep community. With its low power output, poor reliability, and marginal fuel economy compared to later engines, 1986 Comanches with the 2.8L engine are considered some of the least desirable examples. Despite its poor reputation, some 2.8L engines are known to have lasted well past 200,000 miles. The 2.8L is a chain-driven overhead valve engine that does not require regular timing maintenance.

4.0L AMC 242 I6 (1987-1992): The legendarily reliable successor to the 258 inline 6, the 4.0L engine appeared in Comanches in two different generations, with a great deal of difference between the two. The manufacturer specifies 10W-30 motor oil, but a wide variety of recommendations can be found. Due to their high zinc content (which an engine of this vintage was designed for), diesel engine oils are frequently recommended. 4.0L engines are generally expected to easily reach 200,000 miles without rebuilding if well maintained. The 4.0L is a chain-driven overhead valve engine that does not require regular timing maintenance.

- Renault-Bendix (Renix) Multi-Point Injection (1987-1990): The first iteration of the 4.0L engine's fuel injection system, the French-developed Renix engine control system was considered quite advanced for its time and is in some ways more complex than its successor. Although a significant improvement on the electronic carburetors used by its predecessors, the Renix system is prone to electrical issues, particularly revolving around its insufficient chassis grounds. The Renix system does not feature easily testable diagnostics. Certain tools can interface with this system, but it does not store trouble codes, requiring testing while the engine is running. Although the Renix system is more prone to electrical issues, a well cared for Renix example can equal a Mopar engine in reliability.

- Mopar 'Power Tech' (High Output) Multi-Point Injection (1991-1992): A significant upgrade to the previous Renix system, the Mopar system eliminates the knock sensor, EGR valve, a number of vacuum lines and adds first generation On-Board Diagnostics (OBD1) controlled through a 'Check Engine' light. The electrical system of this engine is considerably more robust than the Renix system, with far fewer ground-related issues. Revised cylinder heads and intake manifolds considerably increased high-end power at the expense of a higher torque peak.

Power output: 173 HP/220 ft-lb (1987), 177 HP/224 ft-lb (1988-1990), 190 HP/225 ft-lb (1991-92)

Transmissions

Chrysler TorqueFlite 904 (1986): The only automatic transmission option for the 1986 model year and the only Chrysler transmission used in Comanches, this 3-speed automatic was paired to some 2.8L and 2.5L engines. Although quite reliable, it was replaced for 1987 by the computer-controlled AW4. The manufacturer specifies ATF+3 fluid, which is no longer in production. Substitute ATF+4 fluid.

Fluid capacity: 8-11qt. split between fluid pan and torque converter. Verify fill level using dipstick.

Gear ratios:

Fluid capacity: 8-10 qt. split between torque converter and fluid pan. Verify fill level using dipstick.

Gear ratios:

(omitting Borg-Warner T5, no proof has been found of its use in MJs)

Aisin AX-4/AX-5 (1986-1992): The manual transmission options for the 2.1L, 2.5L, and 2.8L engines, the AX-4 and AX-5 are light-duty transmissions considered sufficient for the output of their engines. While both transmissions are essentially the same design, the AX-5 features an added fifth overdrive gear for highway use. 10W-30 motor oil (regular or synthetic) is specified by the manufacturer, but Pennzoil Syncromesh and Redline MT-90 fluids are also frequently recommended. DO NOT lubricate Aisin manual transmissions with GL-5 gear oil, as the transmissions feature brass synchronizers that will be destroyed by standard gear oils.

Gear ratios:

Aisin AX-15 (1989.5-1992): The 5-speed manual transmission option found behind 4.0L engines after late 1989. The AX-15 is a medium-duty manual transmission that is considered adequate for the 4.0L engine's power output. As with the AX-4 and AX-5, the manufacturer specifies 10W-30 motor oil, but Pennzoil Synchromesh and Redline MT-90 fluids are frequently recommended. DO NOT lubricate Aisin manual transmissions with GL-5 gear oil, as the transmissions feature brass synchronizers that will be destroyed by standard gear oils.

Gear ratios:

Transfer Cases

New Process 207 (1986):

New Process 228 (1986):

New Process 231 (1987-1992):

Shift Pattern: 2WD - 4WD (Part Time) - N - 4WD Low

New Process 242 (1987-1992):

Shift Pattern: 2WD - 4WD (Part Time) - 4WD (Full Time) - N - 4WD Low

Axles

Dana 30 (1986-1992): The only front axle to equip Comanches, the Dana 30 (or D30) is considered a highly reliable axle well-suited for light to moderate off-road use. 2 wheel drive models will feature a solid beam in place of this axle.

Dana 35 (1986-1992):

AMC 20 (1986):

Dana 44 (1987-1992):

Final Drive (axle) ratios:

Up Next: Completing the year breakdown and adding visual aids. More drivetrain info.

I like the use of spoilers.  for me getting into something new having to much info is off putting. I can't tell you how many time i have looked to start a project only to be overwhelmed by a massive "introduction" guide.  having the spoilers is a great idea, it can limit the information down to a level most are comfortable with and still have in depth information for those who are interested. 

I like the guide thus far keep up the good work!  :thumbsup:

I like the use of spoilers.  for me getting into something new having to much info is off putting. I can't tell you how many time i have looked to start a project only to be overwhelmed by a massive "introduction" guide.  having the spoilers is a great idea, it can limit the information down to a level most are comfortable with and still have in depth information for those who are interested. 

Thanks a bunch. I don't want to go too crazy with hiding things, but I'll definitely keep them in.

@glundblad: That's another little intricacy that I'll have to lay down. Thanks.

Thanks a bunch. I don't want to go too crazy with hiding things, but I'll definitely keep them in.

I think hiding just the very in depth stuff like transmission ratios helps keep the potential buyer from being overwhelmed.  for the most part none of the major car companies list the transmission ratios just the drive axle ratios and available engines.

If you have a section or sub section for off road, maybe have something to answer the basic I just got a jeep, what size tires will fit or how high can i lift it, and is there a body lift (someone always asks  :nuts: ) questions.  

Fuel Economy seems to be important to newer generations, maybe have a sub-section in each engine description with Fuelley banners that show various real world MPGs (hidden as most of us get very poor fuel economy and that might scare them away lol) I can provide a full sized banner like yours if needed.

don't forget about the Street Comanches!  . :MJ 1: .

Here's the promised update for today.

v0.04

Outline

6: Credits (this is where all of the major contributors will be listed, including anyone who contributes pics)

It is advised for new Comanche owners to read the Introduction and Issues and Solutions sections before others. The Overview section contains a large amount of information that may be overwhelming to new or prospective Comanche owners!

I: What this guide is for

This guide is designed to be a comprehensive, yet relatively simple introduction to the Jeep Comanche, providing information that new owners and interested buyers will need to know. This guide is not intended to be a complete resource for every detail of these vehicles, but rather an easy to understand overview that still contains the most important details. While as many important aspects will be covered as possible, the newest Comanche is now twenty two years old, and conditions vary wildly. If you are purchasing a Comanche or have purchased one recently, you are encouraged to familiarize yourself with the vehicle and its quirks. This guide is intended to help you along in doing so. With that said, you don't need to read the entire guide - in fact doing so may be overwhelming at first glance!

This guide is mainly intended to cover stock trucks, so some specifications will vary if your vehicle has been modified.

II: What this guide isn't for

This guide isn't an owner's manual - the information here is mainly intended to get new Comanche owners started with the basics. This isn't a guide for setting up your truck for wheeling, in fact virtually none of this guide involves modifying the truck at all.

III: A brief history lesson

I: Basic Specifications

II: Model Year Breakdown

Although the Comanche was only offered for a short period of time, it went through many iterations, with significant changes occurring each model year. Each model year is widely considered an improvement over the previous year.

1986: Often considered the "odd duck" year, 1986 Comanches are considered the least desirable, mostly due to some key differences in the engine bay, as well as its weak 2.8L engine. Despite this, the 2.5L engine, when paired with a manual transmission, is similar to its 1987-1990 counterparts and is an excellent engine. All 1986 Comanches are fitted with the 7-foot long bed.

1987: A significant improvement over the 1986 model year. The carbureted 2.8L engine was replaced by the multi-point injected 4.0L inline six, and the 3-speed TorqueFlite 727 was replaced by an Aisin-Warner 4-speed. 4.0L engines could also come equipped with the somewhat troublesome Peugeot BA-10/5 manual transmission. 100 1987 "Street Comanches" were produced, with the 4.0L engine, a manual transmission, and special racing-style cosmetic body parts.

1988: The most widely produced model year, 1988 brought relatively few changes. The 10-slot grille was replaced by an 8-slot grille, and the 4.0L engine received a slight power upgrade. A special edition, the Olympic Edition, was offered.

1991: Besides 1987, the 1991 model year brought the most drastic changes to the Comanche. Both the 2.5L and 4.0L engines received significant upgrades, with the 2.5L engine receiving multi-point fuel injection similar to that of the 4.0L engine, and the 4.0L engine's fuel injection system was upgraded substantially. 1991 Comanches feature On-Board Diagnostics (OBD I), interfaced through a check engine light. Cosmetic changes were significant, including several new colors and a new front fascia. The SporTruck package also received a significant facelift, and became quite rare.

4C3lLRTm.jpg

A stock 1991 SporTruck in Silver Star Metallic paint, one of the paint colors introduced that year.

1992: The final model year for the Comanche, and the most desirable. Changes for 1992 were cosmetic, with a new color (Hunter Green Metallic) and a new graphics package (Sport) introduced.

III: Drivetrain

Engines

nEVkq95l.jpg

Diesel Comanche owners: Automan2164, opsled/jeepcoMJ (former),

2.8L General Motors LR2 V6 (1986): The original 6-cylinder option in 1986 Comanches, the 2.8L engine featured an unreliable carburetor and failure-prone oiling systems, tarnishing its reputation in the Jeep community. With its low power output, poor reliability, and marginal fuel economy compared to later engines, 1986 Comanches with the 2.8L engine are considered some of the least desirable examples. Despite its poor reputation, some 2.8L engines are known to have lasted well past 200,000 miles. The 2.8L is a chain-driven overhead valve engine that does not require regular timing maintenance.

4.0L AMC 242 I6 (1987-1992): The legendarily reliable successor to the 258 inline 6, the 4.0L engine appeared in Comanches in two different generations, with a great deal of difference between the two. The manufacturer specifies 10W-30 motor oil, but a wide variety of recommendations can be found. Due to their high zinc content (which an engine of this vintage was designed for), diesel engine oils such as Shell Rotella T5 are frequently recommended. 4.0L engines are generally expected to easily reach 200,000 miles without rebuilding if well maintained. The 4.0L is a chain-driven overhead valve engine that does not require regular timing maintenance.

The 4.0L engine existed in two forms:

Transmissions

Gear ratios:

Gear ratios:

Aisin AX-4/AX-5 (1986-1992): The manual transmission options for the 2.1L, 2.5L, and 2.8L engines, the AX-4 and AX-5 are light-duty transmissions considered sufficient for the output of their engines. While both transmissions are essentially the same design, the AX-5 features an added fifth overdrive gear for highway use. 10W-30 motor oil (regular or synthetic) is specified by the manufacturer, but Pennzoil Syncromesh and Redline MT-90 fluids are also frequently recommended. DO NOT lubricate Aisin manual transmissions with GL-5 gear oil, as the transmissions feature brass synchronizers that will be destroyed by standard gear oils.

Gear ratios:

Aisin AX-15 (1989.5-1992): The 5-speed manual transmission option found behind 4.0L engines after late 1989. The AX-15 is a medium-duty manual transmission that is considered adequate for the 4.0L engine's power output. As with the AX-4 and AX-5, the manufacturer specifies 10W-30 motor oil, but Pennzoil Synchromesh and Redline MT-90 fluids are frequently recommended. DO NOT lubricate Aisin manual transmissions with GL-5 gear oil, as the transmissions feature brass synchronizers that will be destroyed by standard gear oils.

Gear ratios:

Transfer Cases

New Process 207 (1986):

New Process 228 (1986):

New Process 231 (1987-1992): The standard transfer case for all non-1986 trucks, the NP231 is a simple, manually shifted, chain driven transfer case. The 231 is considered more than strong enough for any stock drivetrain. The NP231 is designed to use Dexron-Mercon transmission fluid.

New Process 242 (1987-1992): The "full-time" transfer case for 1987-1992, the NP242 is similar to the NP231 except for the addition of a full-time 4WD option, allowing for the use of 4 wheel drive on surfaces with good traction. As with the NP231, the 242 is designed to use Dexron-Mercon transmission fluid.

Axles

Dana 30 (1986-1992): The only front axle to equip Comanches, the Dana 30 (or D30) is considered a highly reliable axle well-suited for light to moderate off-road use. 2 wheel drive models will feature a solid beam in place of this axle.

Dana 35 (1986-1992):

AMC 20 (1986):

Dana 44 (1987-1992):

2.5L or 2.8L, 5-speed manual: 4.10:1
2.5L, 4-speed manual: 3.55:1
2.5L or 2.8L, 3 or 4-speed automatic: 4.56:1
4.0L, 5-speed manual: 3.07:1
4.0L, 4-speed automatic: 3.55:1

Part 3: Maintenance Information

Part 4: Common Issues and Solutions

I: Rust

Since the newest Comanche is now 22 years old, rust is simply a fact of life for all but the most well-cared-for examples. Comanches operated in areas of high road salt use are particularly prone to rusting, with vehicles in deserts or temperate climates (such as the Southern United States) least prone to rust.

Floor Pans: Virtually all Comanches are expected to have at least some rust here, and this is generally the first place a Comanche rusts. If the vehicle has not been meticulously checked for leaks during its entire lifespan, water can (and will) leak onto the floor pans and collect under the carpet without any place to go. Depending on how the vehicle has been stored, rust will range from minor surface damage to complete destruction of the vehicle's floor. A number of methods to repair floor pans exist, including ready-made patch panels, although these are often of extremely poor quality.

Rocker Panels: Generally the first place rust is visible to the naked eye, rocker panel rust occurs mostly as a result of road conditions or poor maintenance. A number of methods to repair rocker panels exist.

Rear Wheel Wells: After a Comanche rusts in its rocker panels, the rear wheel arches are generally the next areas to go. Salt, mud and other debris builds up behind the rear tire, and if allowed to sit uncleaned, will eventually destroy the area around the rear fender flares. Due to the Comanche's rarity, repairs to the bed will generally have to consist of either cut-out sheet metal sections from other Comanches or custom fabrication work.

Part 5: Conclusion

Part 6: Credits

Up next: Finishing the overview and common issues. I still need pics.

Here is a very small update. More will come later.

v0.05

Outline

It is advised for new Comanche owners to read the Introduction and Issues and Solutions sections before others. The Overview section contains a large amount of information that may be overwhelming to new or prospective Comanche owners!

I: What this guide is for

This guide is designed to be a comprehensive, yet relatively simple introduction to the Jeep Comanche, providing information that new owners and interested buyers will need to know. This guide is not intended to be a complete resource for every detail of these vehicles, but rather an easy to understand overview that still contains the most important details. While as many important aspects will be covered as possible, the newest Comanche is now twenty two years old, and conditions vary wildly. If you are purchasing a Comanche or have purchased one recently, you are encouraged to familiarize yourself with the vehicle and its quirks. This guide is intended to help you along in doing so. With that said, you don't need to read the entire guide - in fact doing so may be overwhelming at first glance!

This guide is mainly intended to cover stock trucks, so some specifications will vary if your vehicle has been modified.

II: What this guide isn't for

This guide isn't an owner's manual - the information here is mainly intended to get new Comanche owners started with the basics. This isn't a guide for setting up your truck for wheeling, in fact virtually none of this guide involves modifying the truck at all.

III: A brief history lesson

I: Basic Specifications

II: Model Year Breakdown

1986: Often considered the "odd duck" year, 1986 Comanches are considered the least desirable, mostly due to some key differences in the engine bay, as well as its weak 2.8L engine. Despite this, the 2.5L engine, when paired with a manual transmission, is similar to its 1987-1990 counterparts and is an excellent engine. All 1986 Comanches are fitted with the 7-foot long bed. 1986 Comanches are typically identified by an uppercase fender badge.

Wg0frarl.jpg

A stock 1986 Custom. Note the long bed and uppercase 'COMANCHE' badge.

1987: A significant improvement over the 1986 model year. The carbureted 2.8L engine was replaced by the multi-point injected 4.0L inline six, and the 3-speed TorqueFlite 727 was replaced by an Aisin-Warner 4-speed. 4.0L engines could also come equipped with the somewhat troublesome Peugeot BA-10/5 manual transmission. 100 1987 "Street Comanches" were produced, with the 4.0L engine, a manual transmission, and special racing-style cosmetic body parts.

1988: The most widely produced model year, 1988 brought relatively few changes. The 10-slot grille was replaced by an 8-slot grille, and the 4.0L engine received a slight power upgrade. A special edition, the Olympic Edition, was offered.

1991: Besides 1987, the 1991 model year brought the most drastic changes to the Comanche. Both the 2.5L and 4.0L engines received significant upgrades, with the 2.5L engine receiving multi-point fuel injection similar to that of the 4.0L engine, and the 4.0L engine's fuel injection system was upgraded substantially. 1991 Comanches feature On-Board Diagnostics (OBD I), interfaced through a check engine light. 1991 and later gauge clusters are fully electronic, lacking a speedometer cable. Cosmetic changes were significant, including several new colors and a new front fascia. The SporTruck package also received a significant facelift, and became quite rare.

4C3lLRTl.jpg

III: Drivetrain

Engines

nEVkq95l.jpg

Diesel Comanche owners: Automan2164, opsled/jeepcoMJ (former),

- Renault-Bendix Throttle Body Injection (1986-1990): A fairly simple and reliable single-port injection system, the 2.5L TBI was Renault-Bendix's first Jeep engine control system. It is considerably simpler than Multi-Point Injection systems and is not prone to as many electrical issues as a contemporary 4.0L engine. 1986 and 1987 model year vehicles with this engine have a '2.5 Litre' badge on the tailgate.

- Mopar 'Power Tech' Multi-Point Injection (1991-1992): An updated system similar in design to the system used in the 4.0L engine, the Mopar 2.5L engine is similar in many respects to the 4.0L version and much of the same information applies. Vehicles with this engine do not have a badge on the tailgate.

2.8L General Motors LR2 V6 (1986): The original 6-cylinder option in 1986 Comanches, the 2.8L engine featured an unreliable carburetor and failure-prone oiling systems, tarnishing its reputation in the Jeep community. With its low power output, poor reliability, and marginal fuel economy compared to later engines, 1986 Comanches with the 2.8L engine are considered some of the least desirable examples. Despite its poor reputation, some 2.8L engines are known to have lasted well past 200,000 miles. The 2.8L is a chain-driven overhead valve engine that does not require regular timing maintenance. Vehicles equipped with the 2.8L engine have a 'V6-2.8L' badge on the tailgate.

Pj1LmLTl.jpg

2.8L engine bay. Note the carburetor and small radiator.

4.0L AMC 242 I6 (1987-1992): The legendarily reliable successor to the 258 inline 6, the 4.0L engine appeared in Comanches in two different generations, with a great deal of difference between the two. The manufacturer specifies 10W-30 motor oil, but a wide variety of recommendations can be found. Due to their high zinc content (which an engine of this vintage was designed for), diesel engine oils such as Shell Rotella T5 are frequently recommended. 4.0L engines are generally expected to easily reach 200,000 miles without rebuilding if well maintained. The 4.0L is a chain-driven overhead valve engine that does not require regular timing maintenance.

The 4.0L engine existed in two forms:

- Renault-Bendix (Renix) Multi-Point Injection (1987-1990): The first iteration of the 4.0L engine's fuel injection system, the French-developed Renix engine control system was considered quite advanced for its time and is in some ways more complex than its successor. Although a significant improvement on the electronic carburetors used by its predecessors, the Renix system is prone to electrical issues, particularly revolving around its insufficient chassis grounds. The Renix system does not feature easily testable diagnostics. Certain tools can interface with this system, but it does not store trouble codes, requiring testing while the engine is running. Although the Renix system is more prone to electrical issues, a well cared for Renix example can equal a Mopar engine in reliability. Vehicles with the Renix 4.0L engine have a '4.0 Litre' badge on the tailgate.

- Mopar 'Power Tech' (High Output) Multi-Point Injection (1991-1992): A significant upgrade to the previous Renix system, the Mopar system eliminates the knock sensor, EGR valve, a number of vacuum lines and adds first generation On-Board Diagnostics (OBD1) controlled through a 'Check Engine' light. The electrical system of this engine is considerably more robust than the Renix system, with far fewer ground-related issues. Revised cylinder heads and intake manifolds considerably increased high-end power at the expense of a higher torque peak. Vehicles with the Mopar 4.0L engine have a '4.0 Litre HIGH OUTPUT' badge on the tailgate.

Transmissions

Gear ratios:

Gear ratios:

4: 0.705 (1987-90) 0.753 (1991-92)

Gear ratios:

Peugeot BA-10/5 (1987-1989.5): The 5-speed manual transmission found behind 4.0L engines from 1987 to mid 1989. The BA-10/5 is a light-duty manual transmission that is considered inadequate for the 4.0L engine's power output if not driven carefully. While many owners have seen success with this transmission, it is considered inferior to the later AX-15 transmissions. The BA-10/5 can be identified by a square shaped drain plug that few tools will fit. The BA-10/5 is designed for standard gear oil.

Fluid capacity: 2.45 qt.

Gear ratios:

1: 3.39

R: 3.76

Aisin AX-15 (1989.5-1992): The 5-speed manual transmission option found behind 4.0L engines in trucks built after March 1989. The AX-15 is a medium-duty manual transmission that is considered adequate for the 4.0L engine's power output. As with the AX-4 and AX-5, the manufacturer specifies 10W-30 motor oil, but Pennzoil Synchromesh and Redline MT-90 fluids are frequently recommended. DO NOT lubricate Aisin manual transmissions with GL-5 gear oil, as the transmissions feature brass synchronizers that will be destroyed by standard gear oils.

Gear ratios:

Transfer Cases

New Process 207 (1986):

New Process 228 (1986):

New Process 231 (1987-1992): The standard transfer case for all non-1986 trucks, the NP231 is a simple, manually shifted, chain driven transfer case. The 231 is considered more than strong enough for any stock drivetrain. The NP231 is designed to use Dexron-Mercon transmission fluid.

New Process 242 (1987-1992): The "full-time" transfer case for 1987-1992, the NP242 is similar to the NP231 except for the addition of a full-time 4WD option, allowing for the use of 4 wheel drive on surfaces with good traction. As with the NP231, the 242 is designed to use Dexron-Mercon transmission fluid.

Axles

zYdziZxl.jpg

Dana 30 (1986-1992): The only front axle to equip Comanches, the Dana 30 (or D30) is considered a highly reliable axle well-suited for light to moderate off-road use. 2 wheel drive models feature a solid beam in place of this axle.

Dana 35 (1986-1992): The standard rear axle to equip Comanches without the Metric Ton package. The Dana 35 (D35) has a poor reputation in the Jeep community due to its weakness under extreme use with oversized tires. The Dana 35 is typically reliable when equipped with tires less than 33 inches tall. Dana 35 units after 1989 use C-clips to retain axle shafts.

AMC 20 (1986): The "heavy duty" rear axle for 1986 Comanches, the AMC 20 is a rare axle identified by its perfectly round differential cover. While not as highly prized as Dana 44 rear axles, the AMC 20 is far stronger than the Dana 35.

Dana 44 (1987-1992): The rear axle of Comanches with the "Heavy Duty Axle" option or the Metric Ton package, the Dana 44 is highly regarded for its strength in extreme use situations with tires up to 37 inches tall. Comanches with the Dana 44 axle are highly sought after.

2.5L or 2.8L, 5-speed manual: 4.10:1
2.5L, 4-speed manual: 3.55:1
2.5L or 2.8L, 3 or 4-speed automatic: 4.56:1
4.0L, 5-speed manual: 3.07:1
4.0L, 4-speed automatic: 3.55:1

Part 3: Maintenance Information

Part 4: Common Issues and Solutions

I: Rust

Since the newest Comanche is now 22 years old, rust is simply a fact of life for all but the most well-cared-for examples. Comanches operated in areas of high road salt use are particularly prone to rusting, with vehicles in deserts or temperate climates (such as the Southern United States) least prone to rust.

Floor Pans: Virtually all Comanches are expected to have at least some rust here, and this is generally the first place a Comanche rusts. If the vehicle has not been meticulously checked for leaks during its entire lifespan, water can (and will) leak onto the floor pans and collect under the carpet without any place to go. Depending on how the vehicle has been stored, rust will range from minor surface damage to complete destruction of the vehicle's floor. A number of methods to repair floor pans exist, including ready-made patch panels, although these are often of extremely poor quality.

Rocker Panels: Generally the first place rust is visible to the naked eye, rocker panel rust occurs mostly as a result of road conditions or poor maintenance. A number of methods to repair rocker panels exist.

Rear Wheel Wells: After a Comanche rusts in its rocker panels, the rear wheel arches are generally the next areas to go. Salt, mud and other debris builds up behind the rear tire, and if allowed to sit uncleaned, will eventually destroy the area around the rear fender flares. Due to the Comanche's rarity, repairs to the bed will generally have to consist of either cut-out sheet metal sections from other Comanches or custom fabrication work.

Part 5: Conclusion

Part 6: Credits

Information

Minuit,

Critical Input

Pictures

Minuit: 1991 Comanche

redwolf624: 1986 Comanche, 2.8L engine bay

Up next: Finishing the overview and common issues. I still need pics.

Just a note, but the ratios for the AW4 are off slightly. '87 to 08/90 (21 spline) are .705 and the 23 spline '91 up are .753 due to the HO making it's power at a higher RPM.

Nice to see the update.  But here is a slight correction to the AW4 transmission ratios from carnuck.

Another very slight correction:  The Metric Ton package was the Big Ton package in 1991.  Don't know when it changed, but that is what it is on the factory sticker of my 91.