January, 2014 - Alexia's '87 Sportruck

Happy new year! The holidays are over and it's time to start thinking about starting fresh. There's resolutions to make... projects to start thinking about again... other such "reset-button" type metaphors... This month's feature is no different. This month has been one of those long time running projects that you just can't help but take notice to. The kind of truck with that "rags to riches" kind of feel. That "from the bottom to the top" jive. Pretty much if you're reading this, you know what I mean when it comes to taking a vehicle that's had better days and resurrect it... *cough!* Just about EVERY Comanche owner. *cough!*... This month we celebrate...

Alexia's '87 SporTruck!!!

gallery_1_12_628910.jpg

MODEL AND YEAR:
1987 Comanche SporTruck - Restored and upgraded to 1997 with exterior, interior, electrical, and drive train from 1997+ style Cherokee models. Less than 2,000 miles on the restoration.
Other than non-wear parts, such as body, every part has been replaced or refurbished as needed.

ENGINE & PERFORMANCE:
4.0L bored and stroked to 4.7L(260-275HP estimated), 10:1 SCR
63mm throttle body on 1999+ intake manifold.
Preparing to install a supercharger to produce around 6PSI of boost.
GenRight Fuel Cell

DRIVETRAIN:
AW4 automatic, 220,000 miles on it. Just changed the fluid during the rebuild and it keeps taking punishment.
NP232 with a rattling chain
D30 Front, D44 Rear - 4.56 Gearing
New motor and transmission mounts

COOLING:
Spectrum Premium Aluminum Radiator
Dirtbound Offroad Triple Electric Fan Kit

ELECTRICAL & IGNITION:
Kelley's Works in Progress(5-90) 4 gauge battery and grounding wiring kit.
Custom made wiring harnesses for rear lighting, power options, and other items.

STEERING:
ZJ Tie Rod Swap

SUSPENSION:
5.5" Lift, Rubicon Express coils in the front, Spring Over Axle swap in the rear with 2WD springs.
Rubicon Express Drop Brackets
Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks
Iron Rock Off Road Track Bar
JKS Quicker Disconnects
All control arms replaced with new units.

INTERIOR:
1997 Dash, Leather Steering Wheel, and Center Console
ACC Carpet, Black
Comanche bucket seats with burgundy vinyl breaking apart.
Missing most of the plastic pieces and headliner.(More work to do.)
Sound deadening material applied on all the troublesome panels. Roof, rear cab panel, inside the B-pillars, and inside the doors. Absolutely no more rattling ka-boom shutting the doors now.
Tinted Windows
Power Windows, Locks, and Mirrors

BRAKES:
Centric Premium Rotors and PosiQuiet Pads on the Front
10"x2.5" rear brakes on the D44, entirely rebuilt with brand new components.

LIGHTING:
Hella Vision Plus ECE H4 Conversion Housings.

WHEELS/TIRES:
2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Moab rims and 32" BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain D/T tires.
Spidertrax Wheel Adapters

MISCELLANEOUS:
JCR Offroad front and rear bumpers.
Custom satin olive drab green paint done entirely in a home garage with automotive quality paint.

Best MJ story:
1.) I lit this project on fire a minimum of five times. A few times while welding, another drilling a hole, and some others I forget.
2.) I was pulled over this Black Friday in my Wrangler. During a conversation about Jeeps with the officer I mentioned I owned a Comanche. <Officer> The one that drives into down town without a muffler? <Alexia> Yeah, uh, that one...

http://comancheclub....-1997-comanche/

gallery_1_12_188155.jpg

gallery_1_12_104170.jpg

gallery_1_12_192360.jpg

gallery_1_12_185727.jpg

gallery_1_12_152173.jpg

gallery_1_12_628910.jpg

What owner loves best about CC:
The wide variety of ages represented among the members and the maturity that everyone shows. That everyone loves to stock pile spare parts and sell them at reasonable prices to each other so that we can keep our obsessions on the road.

●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●●

Alexia, it really goes without saying that your MJ is truly an unbelievable turnaround! While most would be happy with a '97+ XJ swap, you took it so much farther... and the journey isn't done yet either. While it's still not quite done yet, this one shows the definition of what is means to hit that reset button. Great job! Great truck! Great member! Congratulations Alexia for being our January, 2014 MJOTM!

-Ben

This post has been promoted to an article

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:      

This is my version of a Comanche Club "Five Star" rating. This build represents the level beyond the next level. Props on your ridiculous skill set and execution Alexia. :bowdown: This Manche of the Month was a no-brainer Ben! It's nice when even the local law enforcement knows you.  

Great quality build Alexia. You exemplify the DIY spirit perhaps better than anyone else; mechanicals, body, paint, and now even upholstery.  :bowdown: 

And you are also one hell of a system administrator for our forum too. Thanks for all you do bro. 

Thanks everyone! I am apologizing for making our MJOTM editor Ben(Neohic) have to bug me last month about missing the December dead line while I was trying to fix the MJ to get more finished pictures.(Which I still failed to do. >_>)

Great quality build Alexia. You exemplify the DIY spirit perhaps better than anyone else; mechanicals, body, paint, and now even upholstery.  :bowdown:

Think I might set those seats on fire and use the fabric I bought to make some nice cooking aprons. Sometimes my DIY is nice new shiny parts.

*Grumbles and wanders back out to the garage.*

Think I might set those seats on fire and use the fabric I bought to make some nice cooking aprons. Sometimes my DIY is nice new shiny parts.

*Grumbles and wanders back out to the garage.*

:rotfl2:   You'll get it right Alex.

Congratulations and so very well deserved. You have to respect anyone for bringing them back from the dead, but in this case respect alone is just not enough. I have to say that your build is so over the top with every nuance and detail planned then executed to the max, that it is a thread I have read countless times and gotten more out of it on each occasion. You do incredible work man you really do. I wish I had taken a page or two from your book, and painted mine myself....but there's that no garage thing again.... all kiddin aside...kudos and congratulations man, well deserved.

Now THIS is what I think of when I think "Comanche of the Month" - A long term build that's so well done you can't even tell it's the same truck (much of it isn't!) on top of running the website. That someone even has the skills to do something like this is exemplary and shows just how much talent we have here at CC. Congratulations and much luck to you. You're right up there with earl*t and knever3 on my list of favorite restorations, just off the top of my head but there's too many to name. Keep up the good work (do I even need to say this?)

Truly far, far beyond the call of duty. I can't wait to see how fast that thing will go with 6 pounds of boost.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

been looking forward to this for a while...as I'm sure you have been too! question: why 2wd springs in the rear?

Assuming to keep the rear end a bit lower since he's SOA.

Yep! A perfect 5.5" lift in the rear and the weight handling is still very good.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...