4-Door Xj Rockers Made To Fit On Mj - Pics Anyone?

OK well I've seen the discussions on replacement rocker panels. Some folks used the Sherman ones that fit over the existing rocker which is pretty much a fail. Also, I know there are a few OEM XJ 4-door rockers on the Interweb still, in addition to full replacement aftermarket ones with the taper at the front, etc.

So my question is this... has anyone here actually taken a 4-door XJ rocker, modified it to fit the MJ and have pictures to show how it turned out?

I read there is a bit of trimming at the very front behind the fender. No biggie. I know the XJ & MJ OEM rockers taper out as they go down the length. So I'm trying to figure out if the taper at the rear edge of the front door on an XJ rocker is identical to the taper of the rear edge of the door on an MJ.

If the taper is the same at that point, theoritcally you could make the replacement work fairly easily I would think.

• 1 year later...

I used the 2 door or 4 Door XJ Stamped Steel Rockers for my MJ... Previously used the el cheapo rockers that only lasted a couple years...

This is the Before Paint Stamped Rockers installed... They are the Perfect fit but obviously need to be cut down to fit

Image Not Found

These are the exact ones I used...

RRP870.jpg

I am an Offroad Shop and buy them thru my LKQ Keystone line but any LKQ Auto wreckers should be able to get them for you...

They are not the cheapest option out there but I think they are one of the best options at least for my application anyways...

RRP870 Passenger side

RRP871 Driver side

They Retail for $132.00 CDN so not sure what they will be for you locally but I would expect probably somewhere in the same area...

Thanks Jeepman, CrossCanadaParts has them listed for $117.20 with stock in Winnipeg. When I get closer to the time of needing them, I will talk to a local body shop to see if they can do any better on pricing (and I might not have to pay separate shipping if they order with other stuff, who knows).

Did you install them or did you have a body shop do the work?

Thanks Jeepman, CrossCanadaParts has them listed for $117.20 with stock in Winnipeg. When I get closer to the time of needing them, I will talk to a local body shop to see if they can do any better on pricing (and I might not have to pay separate shipping if they order with other stuff, who knows).

Did you install them or did you have a body shop do the work?

They are the same Company Now as LKQ Took them over as well as Pro Body Parts...

I just checked the site and they list them for $132.39 must be a location thing as they list them as in stock in Brampton... Either way they are a great product...

https://ecat.crosscanadaparts.com/base/welcome.php?year=1998&make=JEEP&model=CHEROKEE_(MIDSIZE)

Where are you located as I can sell them for less then retail if your near by Stoney Creek/Hamilton area...

I didn't Install these ones myself but Originally I gave him the Cheapo ones and he didn't like them so I sent them back and ordered these in and I observed him mocking them up and they fit near perfectly....

I had the same experience with my body shop.

Threw the C2C rocker in the trash.

Per direction from my bodyshop man, I ordered rockers from Auto Parts Network (APN).

(on the right, obviously)

Since I have no body work skills, I let the professional take care of it

I believe he used the outer part of the XJ rocker and grafted it into the existing sheet metal.

At the beginning of this thread, dave92cherokee showed some XJ rockers that did not fit well at all even though they seemed similar to OEM, like these Keystone ones. His situation however was grafting 2 different vehicles together, not just a rocker replacement, so it's a little different scenario.

I wonder if he was using OEM or what? We already know that C2C is nothing but trash, however I'm beginning to think that there are some differences in the OEM-looking ones as well. OEM = best, it's looking like Keystone = 2nd best.

The Auto Parts Network appear to be the same product, although APN is likely not the brand but the supplier. It would be nice to narrow down the best brand of replacement rocker to use, so we can help people in the future.

The nice thing about this thread is that we're flushing out which XJ rockers really do fit. I'm going to go for a known good brand that Jeepman used, sorry APN isn't a brand. I also checked out the APN site and did not see replacement rocker panels.

IIRC, the part APN sold was a Sherman. It was a complete replacement rocker panel, not a cover that some folks claim. My body shop man loved the rocker and spoke highly of its fit and finish. That means a lot to me since I know how particular he is and what level of work he does in his shop.

I was thinking the Sherman ones were crap too, I edited my post to not include them. I will do some research but Sherman may be selling the same parts. I can't see there being more than one or two suppliers of these rocker panels anyway, but we know there are many retailers.

I found out the hard way and ordered C2C. They were way off on the bottom bends. But we made them work with redoing them.

I got the bottom bends straighten out and got new bends to match the front of rocker. He than cut it on the bottom back to match the back bends. Got it fabed together and put on, so now I have rust free rockers

• 3 years later...

I know the thread is close to four years old but could someone update with information that is current?

I'm new to the Comanche Club and many things change in 4 years.

Please help a newbie avoid pain and frustration with poor fitting parts.

Thanks