Oops Put Pb Blaster On Ignition Terminals

('87 2.5L MJ)

I didn't see a post about this so far, so I thought to mention:

PB Blaster Penetrating Oil is NOT like electrically protective dielectric grease in that

the conductivity level of components to which the Blaster is applied

seems to drop greatly.  For instance, the distributor cap terminals and those matching plug wire/coil wire

terminals.

I made that mistake earlier this evening; it wasn't so bad as I was by the ocean and had

a friend bring the XJ (with tow strap) by in convienient time.

I wiped off the excess residue from the terminals before I made that call for the XJ.

I cranked to no-Starts then scraped off extra build-up on the terminals; I even did so in the

distributor cap (that I had Not sprayed into).

The MJ ran fine before I pulled the wires and sprayed on the PB B... 'thinking' to clean up some slight corrosion.

And each time I re-cleaned the terminals I checked for their being in the proper order for firing.

That included the time after the XJ got there and I got the Carburetor Cleaner can from the

Cargo bin and thoroughly sprayed the MJ terminals with that...after a drying time and no starting,

the MJ was pushed into the driveway.

I plan to get the Dremel out tomorrow and really clean the terminals; I'll find the Acetone too.

I'll post any relevant updates.

...one set of those parts on an MJ that doesn't like PB Blaster...  :)

PB Blaster Penetrating Oil is NOT like electrically protective dielectric grease in that the conductivity level of components to which the Blaster is applied seems to drop greatly.  For instance, the distributor cap terminals and those matching plug wire/coil wire terminals.

I think most everyone knows (or should know) that PB Blaster and similar solvents are designed for breaking down iron oxide (rust) on corroded ferrous metallics and should never be used on electrical connections of any kind. Also dielectric grease is an non-conductive insulator, designed to prevent moisture entry to electrical connections. If used on a copper metal-to-metal electrical bond it increases resistance. Dielectric grease is used is to coat rubber gaskets and boots to prevent water entry to the electrical connection.

PB Blaster Penetrating Oil is NOT like electrically protective dielectric grease in that the conductivity level of components to which the Blaster is applied seems to drop greatly.  For instance, the distributor cap terminals and those matching plug wire/coil wire terminals.

I think most everyone knows (or should know) that PB Blaster and similar solvents are designed for breaking down iron oxide (rust) on corroded ferrous metallics and should never be used on electrical connections of any kind. Also dielectric grease is an non-conductive insulator, designed to prevent moisture entry to electrical connections. If used on a copper metal-to-metal electrical bond it increases resistance. Dielectric grease is used is to coat rubber gaskets and boots to prevent water entry to the electrical connection.

^^^ What he said. Do NOT use dielectric grease directly on the contacts. It IS an insulator, it is NOT a conductor.

spraying PB on the terminals of itself would not stop it from starting.

Also the solvents in pb do evaporate in a short time so they do not pos a long term issue,the balance is just oil. so it would actually be fine to help remove corrosion from the metal parts  your working on, its not an acid and it will not attack metals. ,the only thing to keep it off of or not over use it on, is rubber or plastic items.

you should just get new parts if they had any amount of corrosion on them that you need to use a dremal to remove!., cap,rotor and wires are not expensive.