I'll be following this thread with interest. 

Good luck, and make sure to document your work not only with pictures but with measurements and notes. I wish you all success, partly for a selfish reason: I may want to duplicate your work someday!

Let me know if I can help in any way.

I'll be sure to post any info I can get on it and that i discover. And leave info about bbrackets and mounts for sure. And if anybody wants to buy the 2.5L I'm going to pull out of the parts truck for cheap let me know. It will be scrapped if nobody wants it. And the 4 speed that goes with it. It runs and tranny is good. Also have another parts motor and another good 4 speed. Central Indiana area. Cheap.

Hmmm, thought the Vermeer BC1400 chipper had the 122 HP CAT diesel. Just last week the town was trimming my branches out front for the aerial power lines and I was out discussing the engine model with the operators. Always looking at possible diesels.

Hmmm, thought the Vermeer BC1400 chipper had the 122 HP CAT diesel. Just last week the town was trimming my branches out front for the aerial power lines and I was out discussing the engine model with the operators. Always looking at possible diesels.

I think you could order different power units... I could be mistaken. We have 140 something pieces of equipment, so I could be getting it mixed up with something else. Most of the stuff has a John Deere, but we have some oddballs in the mix also.

Rob

I think you could order different power units... I could be mistaken. We have 140 something pieces of equipment, so I could be getting it mixed up with something else. Most of the stuff has a John Deere, but we have some oddballs in the mix also.

Rob

:dunno:

• 3 weeks later...

So finally have an update. last weekend i got my gasket kit and installed all the ones that were missing like the oil pan gasket. and replaced the rear main seal since it leaked and when we took it out, found that it had a big chunk missing from it. for ALL the gaskets and seals, the kit only cost $112 shipped. and came with other gaskets for other models of Kamatsu engines. i can get a part number if anybody ever needs it.

didnt take many pictures of the process.....

Image Not Found

I also contacted Phoenix Castings monday and ordered my adapter to mate the tranny to the engine. Bill, from the company, sent us some info on how to figure out exactly what housing we needed to get and was very helpful. $650 for it and itll take about a month for him to cast. Not bad. better than buying 2 adapters like i was thinking id have to for $1100!

also started to pull the engine out of the parts truck for mock up and might have it completely out this weekend. making a junkyard run saturday so depends on how long that takes. ha.

Since you are having a custom casting made, ask how much it would be for multiple parts made on the same casting run. I expect the cost would be very small, and it should bring the price per part down drasticly if you have the idea that you or anyone else would like to have duplicate parts for more such swaps in the future.

At least ask to keep the match plates (the master jig that is used to make the sand casting molds) - that way they won't get lost in case you ever decide to have more castings made. With the match plates, you could go to any foundry in the future and have a new casting run done.

Since you are having a custom casting made, ask how much it would be for multiple parts made on the same casting run. I expect the cost would be very small, and it should bring the price per part down drasticly if you have the idea that you or anyone else would like to have duplicate parts for more such swaps in the future.

At least ask to keep the match plates (the master jig that is used to make the sand casting molds) - that way they won't get lost in case you ever decide to have more castings made. With the match plates, you could go to any foundry in the future and have a new casting run done.

Very, very good idea here.  I'm sure there are a few members here that would love you dearly for this lol.

the adapter isnt exactly "custom". the company used to produce them but there wasnt much of a demand for them so they quit offering them. bill said that he thinks he still has the molds, but after a week he didnt get back to me so i called him yesterday and emailed him again and he said he would look yesterday afternoon and get back with me but hasnt yet. I'm hoping he can still do it all for me...

• 3 weeks later...

heard from Bill at Phoenix Castings a couple days this week. Tuesday he said he started on it last sunday but the casting was bad and there were holes in it so he had to scrap it and they were pouring more that tuesday so he would start again wednesday. got an email last night that said he started on it again friday night and would be done on the lathe sunday and then just had t

o drill the mounting holes.  i paid the first half for him to ship it to me ($330) then ill pay the other half once i get it and make sure its right. i also ordered motor mounts today. they are for a 5.9L cummins and got them from summit. part# ANI-2710 they are anchor industries mounts.

this is the picture Bill sent me of the adapter on the lathe.

motor mounts.

hoping to have the adapter in the next week or 2 then start mock up!

Take special care drilling your casting - proper alignment is critical. I was kinda hoping the foundry would have done that for you... oh well.

we are not drilling the holes, Phoenix is. thats what he is doing this week and thats all he has left to do.

Very cool. Very Fun build to watch. Does anyone have any specs on how much power this engine produces?

http://cumminsengines.com/b3-3-tier-3#ratings

this is the quick info on this motor. there is a lot more out there with some searching.

and also, about 3 weeks after we installed all the gaskets, we fired it up yesterday to see if it leaked. IT DIDNT!

next weekend i am also taking it to get the timing advanced.

If it was a stationary motor you may need to have a fuel injection advancing system put on. Made that mistake once. The different pump co$t and arm and a leg but the power difference was incredible! On your motor mount pads, if you are making custom brackets for the frame, maybe look into the CJ 6 cyl motor mounts. Energy Suspension makes a poly version that is pretty much bullet proof. Energy Suspension 2-1102G

I ran them in my '83 Cherokee, '84 Eagle and '84 J10 with stroker 6 cyls while towing a trailer made from a bus.

If it was a stationary motor you may need to have a fuel injection advancing system put on. Made that mistake once. The different pump co$t and arm and a leg but the power difference was incredible! On your motor mount pads, if you are making custom brackets for the frame, maybe look into the CJ 6 cyl motor mounts. Energy Suspension makes a poly version that is pretty much bullet proof. Energy Suspension 2-1102G

I ran them in my '83 Cherokee, '84 Eagle and '84 J10 with stroker 6 cyls while towing a trailer made from a bus.

I'm having the timing advanced this saturday. and ive already bought motor mounts i posted. but ill look into the ones you suggested when i throw the 2nd motor in something.

decided not to mess with the timing. got my flywheel and bellhousing adapters in monday!!!

when i opened the shipping box there were 3 LED flashlights with their company name on them and they made me a calender with each month having a picture of the process of them making my adapters. i thought it was pretty cool!!

it all fit pretty well. had to tap 2 holes that werent on the transmission side of the bellhousing adapter and have to grind down the heads of cap socket bolts used on the motor side of the bellhousing adapter. but other than that perfect!

spent $13 at work for 20 bolts for it and ordered flywheel bolts tonight for $19. now were looking for a pilot bearing!

should have it bolted together and ready for test fit this weekend sometime.

going good!

I guess there was some miscommunication before when you said you were getting a custom bell housing cast for $650. I thought that was very reasonable for custom casting one, including machining and drilling.

Is that a good price for machining an adapter plate from billet stock? (I don't see any reason for casting that since milling and drilling it from flat stock would be so much easier - but I guess cost is the driving factor, whichever is cheaper and still nets the same results.) Seems high for this area...

Anyway, congrats on overcoming that hurdle. :)

I guess there was some miscommunication before when you said you were getting a custom bell housing cast for $650. I thought that was very reasonable for custom casting one, including machining and drilling.

Is that a good price for machining an adapter plate from billet stock? (I don't see any reason for casting that since milling and drilling it from flat stock would be so much easier - but I guess cost is the driving factor, whichever is cheaper and still nets the same results.) Seems high for this area...

Anyway, congrats on overcoming that hurdle. :)

it is probably way cheaper for them to cast out the adapter ring than it is to buy a piece of flat stock. it is 18" across and only 2" wide so thats alot of scrap needing to be cut or milled away. and same with tthe flywheel adapter, probably cheaper to cast their own parts ready for machining. and it was a good price for the work. seeing as how it was gonna be about $1200 to go the route i thought i had to go and buy 2 adapters.