2 Wheel Drive To 4 Wheel Drive Conversion

so i'm lookin hard for the AX15 tranny but i can't find any locally in the junkyards or from donor XJs but autozone sells em but according to autozones website the ax15 won't fit in the 86 2.8 MJ, if that's so how did the 5-speed 86 MJs get 4wd?

Redwolf

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have another question in relation to this. I finished my swap and it won't start anyone have any ideas? it doest turn over, I hear the fuel pump and no I have good pressure just no turning over.

If it doesn't turn over, you should be looking at a weak battery, bad starter, bad starter solenoid, or bad starter relay.

I do have another question in relation to this. I finished my swap and it won't start anyone have any ideas? it doest turn over, I hear the fuel pump and no I have good pressure just no turning over.

If it doesn't turn over, you should be looking at a weak battery, bad starter, bad starter solenoid, or bad starter relay.
I fixed it a while back. It was my transmission and shifter not agreeing with what position what was in

so i'm lookin hard for the AX15 tranny but i can't find any locally in the junkyards or from donor XJs but autozone sells em but according to autozones website the ax15 won't fit in the 86 2.8 MJ, if that's so how did the 5-speed 86 MJs get 4wd?

Redwolf

The AX-15 was used behind the 4.0 litre inline six and has an AMC bolt pattern, which your engine does not have. The AX-5 is used behind the 2.5 litre inline four and 2.8 litre vee six and uses the GM bolt pattern, which your engine does have. You cannot use an AX-15 from an XJ and expect it to bolt in. They made both 4wd and 2wd versions of every single transmission used in these things. They made 4wd AX-5s, so that is what you will need if you're pulling your stuff from a Jeep.

Short answer: 5-speed 86 MJs had 4wd versions of the AX-5.

Redwolf

The AX-15 was used behind the 4.0 litre inline six and has an AMC bolt pattern, which your engine does not have. The AX-5 is used behind the 2.5 litre inline four and 2.8 litre vee six and uses the GM bolt pattern, which your engine does have. You cannot use an AX-15 from an XJ and expect it to bolt in. They made both 4wd and 2wd versions of every single transmission used in these things. They made 4wd AX-5s, so that is what you will need if you're pulling your stuff from a Jeep.

ok so is 86 the only year of jeep that i could possibly pull a transmission from for my 4wd convertion?

However, an AX15 from a 4 cylinder Dodge Dakota will fit behind the 2.5/2.8. But these are far and few between.

if it'll fit but like Minuit said the bolt pattern aint the same, could i take the bell housin off my AX5 and put it on the AX15?

Redwolf

Redwolf

ok so is 86 the only year of jeep that i could possibly pull a transmission from for my 4wd convertion?

However, an AX15 from a 4 cylinder Dodge Dakota will fit behind the 2.5/2.8. But these are far and few between.

if it'll fit but like Minuit said the bolt pattern aint the same, could i take the bell housin off my AX5 and put it on the AX15?

Redwolf

1. No. The AX-5 was always the 5-speed manual behind 2.5s/2.8s from the factory as far as I know.

2. The Dodge Dakota briefly got the AMC 2.5l engine (the same one that Jeeps got!) with the same bellhousing bolt pattern as your 2.8. The AX-15 bellhousing will not fit the AX-5. However, if you can find a 5-speed Dodge Dakota with the AMC 2.5l engine, you can use THAT AX-15 in your MJ. No others unless you swap the bellhousings.

However, these Dodge Dakotas are rare.

All transmissions that fit the AMC 2.5l engine will fit your 2.8. They use the same bellhousing bolt pattern! You can only use an AX-15 if you either find a bellhousing or an entire transmission from a Dodge Dakota with an AMC 2.5l engine.

No.

worth asking, so what's the  difference between the ax5 and the ax15, i was always told the ax15 was the 4x4 version of the ax5,

Redwolf

worth asking, so what's the  difference between the ax5 and the ax15, i was always told the ax15 was the 4x4 version of the ax5,

You were told wrong. The AX-15 is a larger transmission, with a larger bellhousing that mates to the larger bolt pattern of the 4.0L block. It also takes a larger diameter throw-out bearing, and a larger spline diameter for the clutch disk. The AX-5 (as well as the AX-4) and the AX-15 both came in 2WD versions and 4WD versions. The difference is whether the transmission has a tail cone with a seal for the driveshaft yoke, or a rear housing with a bolt flange to which the transfer case can be attached.

You were told wrong. The AX-15 is a larger transmission, with a larger bellhousing that mates to the larger bolt pattern of the 4.0L block. It also takes a larger diameter throw-out bearing, and a larger spline diameter for the clutch disk. The AX-5 (as well as the AX-4) and the AX-15 both came in 2WD versions and 4WD versions. The difference is whether the transmission has a tail cone with a seal for the driveshaft yoke, or a rear housing with a bolt flange to which the transfer case can be attached.

ok, glad i now know that, it'll make my hunt easier, now i have another question bout the 2wd to 4wd project, would i need to get a more "heavy duty" suspention?

Redwolf

ok, glad i now know that, it'll make my hunt easier, now i have another question bout the 2wd to 4wd project, would i need to get a more "heavy duty" suspention?

No.

It's a 3/4-ton pickup, why would you need to change the suspension? Do your homework -- there's nothing different from the 2WD to the 4WD models except the ride height, and in the Cherokee not even that changes.

No.

It's a 3/4-ton pickup, why would you need to change the suspension? Do your homework -- there's nothing different from the 2WD to the 4WD models except the ride height, and in the Cherokee not even that changes.

ok, i was told by a couple people that i'd have to put a heavier duty suspention on it, i was also told it was a 1/4 ton truck,

Redwolf

Reddog.......since you are on here you have (access to) a computer.

read this.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Comanche_(MJ)

Read it twice (that's 2 times)

if you have other thoughts or questions ......make notes .....write them done......try this       www.google.com

Rock on  :rock on: 

It might help you

I have a 2.8 4x4 ax-5 and 207 transfer case, but its probably not coming out till next summer. that probably doesn't help unless your willing to wait a year then willing to pay shipping from Canada to the us.

ok, i was told by a couple people that i'd have to put a heavier duty suspention on it, i was also told it was a 1/4 ton truck,

Whoever you have been "told by" obviously doesn't know squat, so perhaps you should stop listening to them

The rated payload for a stock Comanche was 1475. The payload for the Metric Ton pacgage was 2200 pounds. A )U.S.) ton is 2000 pounds, so a quarter ton is only 500 pounds. The basic Comanche carries nearly three times that, so it's a 3/4-ton. The metric ton carries MORE THAN a U.S. ton.

You have here the most authoritative source of information about the Comanche. Why are you even paying attention to people who obviously have no clue?

Reddog.......since you are on here you have (access to) a computer.

read this.....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Comanche_(MJ)

Read it twice (that's 2 times)

if you have other thoughts or questions ......make notes .....write them done......try this       www.google.com

Rock on  :rock on: 

It might help you

thanks yxmj that's a boat load of helpful info bout specs and history on the MJs deffently will help me in the future

Whoever you have been "told by" obviously doesn't know squat, so perhaps you should stop listening to them

The rated payload for a stock Comanche was 1475. The payload for the Metric Ton pacgage was 2200 pounds. A )U.S.) ton is 2000 pounds, so a quarter ton is only 500 pounds. The basic Comanche carries nearly three times that, so it's a 3/4-ton. The metric ton carries MORE THAN a U.S. ton.

You have here the most authoritative source of information about the Comanche. Why are you even paying attention to people who obviously have no clue?

thanks for clearin that up eagle and i only believed my MJ was a 1/4 ton because when i load the bed half full of steel (which is normally around 900lbs) the back sags like i have blown shocks,

Redwolf

thanks for clearin that up eagle and i only believed my MJ was a 1/4 ton because when i load the bed half full of steel (which is normally around 900lbs) the back sags like i have blown shocks,

Redwolf

odds are if you haven't replaced the rear springs they are worn out and sagging.  you can buy rear shocks with "helper" springs to help stabilize a load. I have seen a few threads on here with part numbers.

the heaviest load i moved with my MJ at once was 30 pavers (1,080 lbs) in the bed and 40 pavers (1,440 lbs) on a trailer.  My newish Metric Ton springs looked sagged (but not bad) with the just the bed load, adding the trailer it only sagged more slightly.  

The springs on dad's MJ are shot, 500-700 lbs will reach the bump stops

Well, a couple of posts back you wrote that you believed it was a 1/4-ton because "somebody" told you that. Now it's because the suspension deflects under load. Make up your mind.

Your truck was rated to carry 1,475 pounds when it was new. Shocks do NOT support weight, they dampen spring oscillation. Blown shocks do not cause a vehicle to sit lower. Springs carry the weight. Springs deflect under load -- 900 pounds is about 2/3 of the maximum your truck is rated to carry. You can't expect to throw 900 pounds in the back and not have it deflect.