Replacing 215/75 R15's

See I've had nothing but good luck and I've had them on my f150, Dakota, Durango, all my friends have them on their xjs and I have them on my mj. For the price of the tire I don't think you could go wrong

The best thing I could say about these tires now is the price, so I agree with that. I've used a lot of Goodyear Wrangler tires in the past, 10+ years ago, and they were decent for the $$. Now they are below the quality of the crappy OEM tires on new vehicles, Walmart quality, require periodic balancing, and they wear out fast. They are now cheap throw away tires that get you by for awhile.

The best thing I could say about these tires now is the price, so I agree with that. I've used a lot of Goodyear Wrangler tires in the past, 10+ years ago, and they were decent for the $$. Now they are below the quality of the crappy OEM tires on new vehicles, Walmart quality, require periodic balancing, and they wear out fast. They are now cheap throw away tires that get you by for awhile.

They now have a 60,000 mile warranty. If they wear out before that ... get 'em replaced. (I assume the warranty is prorated, like all tire life warranties.)

• 2 weeks later...

An update..

All mounted and balanced and seem to work well (I only have about 10 miles on them).  I am fussing around with the tire pressures and right now I am running about 36 psi in them.  I will play around with the pressure for a while.  I could tell they were a little stiffer on the turns and a little more geared up on the turnpike vs the stock 215/75/15s.

An update..

All mounted and balanced and seem to work well (I only have about 10 miles on them).  I am fussing around with the tire pressures and right now I am running about 36 psi in them.  I will play around with the pressure for a while.

That's much too high. It should be 30, or maybe even 28.

According to my '88 MJ factory service manual, the recommended tire pressure is 30 psi for sizes P205/75R15 through P225/75R15 ... and 33 psi for P195R15

You should be able to get the stock style Goodyear wranglers in 235/75/15 for around $100 a piece.

That'll probably be the cheapest for a decent new tire. The 225/75/15's are more expensive in my area.

EXACTLY!!! I found the smaller 225/75's were more expensive, I just got 4 brand new 235/75/15's wrangler radials on my Comanche 3 weeks ago for just a little over 75.00 ea locally and LOVE THEM ( I guess any set of new tires would have made a difference compared to my old worn ones)  but just for the record there are no fitment issues whatsoever on my stock 2WD. :thumbsup:  

I've been running 32 psi in the front and 28psi in the rear with the 4 ply 235's on my MJ for the last 2 years.  The tire wear is pretty even all around so far.  On my TJ with 31x10.50 Uniroyal 6 ply mud tires I had to run 24 psi front and 22psi rear to get good even wear and full tread contact.  Just an FYI.

I have stock 235 wranglers on my 87.  The ones I have now are "Silent Armor".  I am very happy with them.  I get a slight rub when my steering wheel is fully turned.  Not a big deal though. I just don't turn that sharp.   Goodyear has a few different types of wrangler tires and I am sure some are better than others.  I ran some variant on my previous generation tahoes and had good results.  When it came time to replace them on both tahoes, I bought the same tires again.

An update..

All mounted and balanced and seem to work well (I only have about 10 miles on them).  I am fussing around with the tire pressures and right now I am running about 36 psi in them.  I will play around with the pressure for a while.

According to my '88 MJ factory service manual, the recommended tire pressure is 30 psi for sizes P205/75R15 through P225/75R15 ... and 33 psi for P195R15

The door jam on mine says to use 30 psi for P series 215/75/15s.  I have done that for the past 150K with good luck , but with these 6ply rated tires, I am considering going up a bit on the pressure to allow me to take advange of the stiffer sidewalls.....not to the 52 psi they will take but up a little bit to about 35 or so. 

An update..

The door jam on mine says to use 30 psi for P series 215/75/15s.  I have done that for the past 150K with good luck , but with these 6ply rated tires, I am considering going up a bit on the pressure to allow me to take advange of the stiffer sidewalls.....not to the 52 psi they will take but up a little bit to about 35 or so. 

"P205/75R15 through P225/75R15" includes P215/75R15 -- it's right between 205 and 225.

With a stiffer sidewall, you need LESS pressure to keep the tread patch flat on the ground. All you are going to do running higher pressure is to cause the center of your tread to wear down before the shoulders.

I am running General Grabber AT2 30 9.50/15's on my 2wd SWB, w/1.75 coil spacers and AAL. I picked mine up through Discount Tire on-line with free shipping and $70 rebate...mounted and balanced at the local WalMart and I was rolling down the road for $468.00 all in.