Rear Lift To High, How To Lower

Wrz

Recently installed a set of military wrapped springs ( 3+2 ) on my comanche. After mocking up the bed today i have a huge rake.  The front is lifted around 2'' and from my measurement the rear is lifted right around 4.5. I would like to lift the front to level it out some, but my funds are tight and cannot afford to lift the front. I have a steel jcr bumper, roll bar and tool box that will go onto the bed soon so having a 1/2-3/4 rake would be ideal

about 24-24.5 hub to flare

Is there anyway to lower the rear around 1 3/4- 2'' 

I know stock xj shackles will lower it about 1/2-3/4      

Thank and here are some pictures

Also is my tire suppost to be soo off center?

Looks like 23-3/4" to me, and that's NOT a 4" to 4-1/2" lift. IIRC, stock is about 21-1/2.

To be double-extra certain, measure from the top of the axle tube straight up to the bottom of the frame rail where the bump stop is located. Post that measurement, and I'll look up the factory spec in the FSM.

Looks like 23-3/4" to me, and that's NOT a 4" to 4-1/2" lift. IIRC, stock is about 21-1/2.

To be double-extra certain, measure from the top of the axle tube straight up to the bottom of the frame rail where the bump stop is located. Post that measurement, and I'll look up the factory spec in the FSM.

Sorry i took the picture on a slight angle, but it was almost dead set on 24''  I will post some more pictures in the am with more measurements

The MT springs lifted the rear almost 3" from what it was before I installed them. My original springs were shot. It took about a year for the MT springs to settle down an inch.

Note the key part of what Don wrote. MJs are supposed to have some rake from the factory. Yours looks very obvious because of the tires. What size are they?

Several years ago, I did a home-brew add-a-leaf on an '88 XJ for an ex-GF. The height from the hub center to the flare in the rear of an MJ is supposed to be 17" even. Before starting, hers measured 16-1/2". I used cut-off main leaves from another XJ pack. If everything is fresh, that usually generates an inch and a half of lift. In her case, it went up 1-1/4" from what is was before I started, but where I started was sagged. So I netted 3/4" of lift ... which was perfect for that vehicle.

I have a 2001 XJ in the driveway right now that looks low in the back. I kept telling myself it looked a bit low because I put new Up Country springs in the front, but today I measured. YIKES! 16" even, on both sides. That means even if I do an extra main leaf on each side, I won't even be able to get the 1" that Up Country provides -- the BEST I can hope for will be 1/2" higher than stock. (Unless I add two leaves -- or just replace the springs.)

What we're saying is, if your old springs were sagged, a new spring that brings it back to a bit above the factory stock height may look like a big lift ... but it isn't. Take those measurements from the axle tubes, and that's going to be a miuch more accurate gauge of how much lift you actually got.

Don, thanks for finding that old post. I remembered posting those dimensions previously, but I wouldn't have known where to look for them.

Don, thanks for finding that old post. I remembered posting those dimensions previously, but I wouldn't have known where to look for them.

I "sticky" what I think are useful posts in the DIY section to try to cut down on all the repeat questions that pop up all the time. It's far from complete, but folks should look for answers to often asked questions there first.   :thumbsup:

I "sticky" what I think are useful posts in the DIY section to try to cut down on all the repeat questions that pop up all the time. It's far from complete, but folks should look for answers to often asked questions there first.   :thumbsup:

Maybe you should sticky that eh?  :banana:

This could be as simple as some drop blocks.  use them to balance the truck out and then remove them later on when the leafs settle.

also, you can help the settling process along by putting weight in the bed.  a LOT of weight.  like to the bumpstops.  leave it there for a couple days and then remove.  repeat as necessary.  :D

Thanks for the replies, i took some measurments this morning from the axle tube to the frame

Passengerside is about 12 3/4

Drivers side is about 12'

this is where i measured to

The front springs are old man emu ome930   which should net me right around 1.75-2 inches of lift

I ordered a pair of new xj shackles from rockauto lastnight which should help hopefully,  if not i may have to sell off my oba for some acos

Tires are 30x9.50 a/t

here's a link to m build   page 5 is all the suspension

http://comancheclub.com/topic/36077-my-first-mj-and-build-project-restore/page-5

Thanks for the replies, i took some measurments this morning from the axle tube to the frame

Passengerside is about 12 3/4

Drivers side is about 12'

So you have about 3" of lift, which should settle down to around 2". That's right where you want to be with 2" lift springs in the front. I wouldn't change anything until you see how the new rear springs settle in.

:agree:  One thing you can count on for sure is that the front end with the OME 930 coils will never settle.  Mine are still at the same level they were when I put them in over five years ago. The MT rear springs will settle down as much as 2", depending on weight. After a year they settled out at exactly the same level as the front, mostly due to the camper shell I carry around. Then, to restore the factory rake, I installed slightly longer Teraflex rear greasable shackles. So the old girl is setting just about right now, about 2"-2.5" over factory specs. That's plenty for me.