My 88' Comanche

Hi Comanche Club,

I would like to introduce myself and tell my story of acquiring my first comanche!  I am currently a full time student, with a low budget, anyways my aunt had acquired an 88' Comanche but it had not been running for about 6 months.  I would go over and see this truck and I slowly fell in love with it, the body style, the fact of it being a jeep, and the rareness of it. So I ask if i could get it running if I could have it.  So with the help of comanche club's forum and more online research and write-ups I got it to run! and she let me have it for free!  I took on this comanche to make myself busy for the summer and to learn about cars, (I don't want to end up like the majority of my generation which probably doesnt even know how to change a cars' oil). since I have no prior experience before this summer.  I'm as dumb as it gets you could say when knowing about cars, but I'm slowly learning. But I was so ecstatic to get this truck.  Its an 88 2.5L Auto transmission 2wd.  Everything is stock on it so far. its probably the most basic barebones options you could get. I feel so unlucky, but still I'm lucky to get it for free.  I plan to just take care of it until I'm out of school and then fix it up when i get the money.  All i can think of now is about comanches. but i just get so jealous  of everyones rigs, and all the pics of four wheeling in there 4.0l 4wd mjs. wishing i had the 6-cylinder and 4x4.  I don't know what kind of potential my mj has other than driving on the road.

I guess that is an option. And I've heard it isn't too bad. I just wouldnt know how the 2.5L would do with 4wd. I think I'll plan to buy another mj with the 4.0l and 4wd. My 2.5L l, which gets better mileage can be my dd. :)

I have a 2.5 People think that they are weak motors but they are actually have a lot of torque. If you had it geared right it would be fine. But yet there is nothing wrong with another comanche

Agree, the 2.5 is actually a decent motor and more gas friendly than the 4.0l. The Jeep guys that got me into Comanches were big on the 4.0 engines, but didn't dog the 2.5 like they did the V6. Coming from a life long Jeep Eagle mechanic (not me, my Jeep friend), I'd say that's a pretty good vote of confidence for the 2.5.

Drive it, fix it up a little at a time, add some options or upgrades that you pick from the JY or find on line. Learn about the vehicle and I'm sure the right 4.0 4X4 will eventually come along. I didn't get a 4X4 until my 3rd Comanche!

What color is the interior, it looks like Maroon, or could it be Black?

Well thanks guys. I got the auto tranny. What can do to get more power from it? And how much better on mileage is it? And I think I'll just stick with it for now and as you said fix it up and put some upgrades on it. And when I get out of college I'll look for my 4x4 4.0L. And the interior is grey. Which is weird though cause everyone's I've seen is mostly grey or maroon. I'll post pictures of the interior. But I got the floor mats up now, I'm fighting some floor board rust. I've gotten away the flakey rust and wire brushed the floors. And just put some rust resistant paint on it. And then I'm going to patch the holes.

• 9 months later...

Figured that Id start updating this maybe you guys can provide inspiration and support as I just continue to fix and restore my comanche. Its been a slow process on a college kids budget and busy schedule.   Its not going to be a 4x4 offroad mj, nothing to exciting for you guys, just keeping it stock and preserving it the best of my abilities..  Ill get better about posting pics starting this weekend.  Ive been learning so much through the club and you all have been so helpful dealing with my stupid questions as being a hardly amateur mechanic, I learned my gearing is 4.56 which ive heard is rare, not really sure is this a good gearing or bad.  Got the 2.5l with it. Ive been dealing with an overheating problem, replaced thermostat and water pump still an issue, got a radiator on the way.  Hopefully thatll fix it.  Once thats fixed, ill continue on upgrading and getting it to tip top shape.   Things ive acquired to put on it are some fog lights, and gonna install the b pillar speaker brackets that I acquired recently.  I have plans to put a brush guard, just one of those small ones ive seen on some that i just can't figure out where to find.  I plan to add in a nice bed liner. replace the door panels, weather stripping, add in power steering, and replace suspension parts.   Heading to the local JY this weekend Ill get back with what I find.

thank you all in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Got some updates with pictures.

I got some new door panels and love them and also got a instrument bezel.  Glad I have the hockey stick style handles now, and also my speakers are covered up now. I think it looks pretty good. My intentions for the interior is to stay the dark grey panels and instruments, repaint the side trim pieces light grey, get light grey carpeting, and and reupholster my bench seat light grey. So light and dark grey with some wood accents.  We'll see

I installed the clear side markers as well, don't look at the dirt.

I also replaced my radiator, thermostat and housing, and water pump.  I have officially solved my overheating problem.

Now I need to fix my leaking valve cover its come from the filler plug.  I plan to get all new vacuum lines and harnesses. and a new air filter.

While working on it, I here the loudest buzzing Ive ever heard from my fathers bee hives, They were going crazy this morning

You have a great start here young man! I agree keep this as your DD and find a 4x4 in a few years. As for learning to fix your own vehicle, we all start somewhere. Keep at it bit by bit

Thank you sir!  I feel that keeping it as a DD will be a good idea, next step is to add in P/S i have pump and reservoir, gonna find a gear box this weekend. And then after going to look into installing A/c then it will be a pretty comfortable truck to use as a DD. 

Then I have a reason to get another one with 4x4 and 4.0. 

And I am gonna fix it slowly.  I have been painting plastic accent pieces, and gonna be painting the bumpers, just to give it some flare. May go ahead and paint in a nice bed liner.  Not looking to get the body painted just yet. Gonna do a couple more things to the interior then Ill be satisfied with the cosmetics.  It definitely needs some engine work,  Ive been just having a really rough idle, and its only from when it starts cold, after driving it idles really smoothly. Not sure what it may be. Looking into that next.

Been several days and hasnt overheated anymore!  So now thats fix, I have many other things on my agenda.  Saturday i will be visiting a yard and looking for various things.  I plan to tomorrow do some cruisers tips.  I been trying to figure one problem Ive been having since i got it.  It has a rough idle when started cold and it has to be started with the gas pedal down a little and it will just cut out if i let go of the gas after its started.  But once its warm it runs smooth.  I donno what it is i get frustrated easily lol.  I had a hypothesis that its the oxygen sensor gone bad sending a bad or no signal to the computer which in turn lets it run really rich due to like a default setting in the computer explaining why it runs normal at normal operating temp  i donno  I'm probably wrong

• 2 weeks later...

Just gonna put up a quick update. This weekend I am putting a whole new exhaust on, including o2 sensor. I'll get back with results on that. I'm still battling a running rough situation. After this I plan to replace vacuum lines and look into testing the map sensor or replace it. Another thing I plan to do is fixing my leaky oil filler cap and I plan to do a whole engine wash and cleaning. It's accumulated about a year of oil leaking sludge from a cracked valve cover that I just replaced recently. To say the least my work on this old 4 banger is coming along

Thanks comanche kid !! I plan to certainly keep it all stock and just restore this one. Next summer it's getting a new paint job

So today finished replacing the exhaust. Looks a lot nicer than the old rust pipes that were there before. I plan to clean up the engine compartment next. Change the transmission fluid. Work on some cosmetic things. And have a photoshoot In the next week to show my truck to you all some more.

Here's old exhaust parts

And the new

• 2 weeks later...

Would like to just post an update. Been working on the jeep every so often. Running into problems like usual but as of now things are better. Got the new exhaust on. Put in new plugs and wires. I still am suffering a problem with it running rough and I am stuck and not know what else to do. Here are some recent pics

• 2 months later...

Just another update, not a really exciting build thats for sure.

Okay so school has started again for me, so any work done to it will have to wait until Christmas break or summer.  I have decided to keep this truck mostly how it was built.  Going to keep it like it is and not doing any drive train swaps.  So I plan to restore it pretty much like the day it came off the line (exactly how the cheapskate who ordered it, with the minimal options..lol)  One thing I am doing is adding in power steering I have all parts exception a gear box.  I will do this next summer for sure.  Manual steering is a pain sometimes.

I posted to get some ideas from some of the members for what I should do next or what I should add to my list.  So far its been running great, did a lot of the cruisers tips and as of now no need to do engine work. I did a lot of that this past summer.  I'm looking for more cosmetic changes and ideas.  So shoot some my way.  Thanks in advance!

Some stuff I have thought of is:

Change to stock mirrors, instead of the door mount mirrors

Put in new weather stripping, old stuff is drying out

Put in carpet, I'm not liking the vinyl really

Do the zj brake booster upgrade

You shouldn't have any issues bolting it up. It's a pretty common mod. There is a chance you might have pressure issues being that you've got a 2.5 setup, but I say that because I don't know how it compares to the 4.0. But it's a fairly common upgrade, and there's lots of stuff about it. It'll mean less turns of the steering wheel to go from lock to lock, which is always a good thing. Also, I'm pretty sure that for the quick ratio, you need one for a V8 ZJ, although some sources say that all ZJ boxes are the same. At any rate, you're looking for the 12.7:1. I believe the stock xj/mj power steering box is 14:1, and the manuals are anywhere from 16-20:1.