Different Comanches?

so i've seen pioneer MJs, i've heard of custom, X, and XLS, chief, even heard of the eliminator, what's the different "sub-classes" of comanches and what are the differerences? i'd really like to know, maybe it'll help me probably ID my MJ,

Redwolf

In '86 only there was the base, X, and XLS. Your title should give clues to what it is, also your vin can tell you what it is. I've had two '86 X rigs and each one is completely different in options.

My last one had selec-trac, 2.8L, automatic, idiot light cluster, vinyl buckets without full center console, single color paint, no chrome at all other than the standard 10 slot grille, and the "upgraded" steel wheels. Basically what I'd consider a true X since only a few things are "upgraded".

My current one has command-trac, 2.8L, 5spd, 3/4 gauge cluster, cloth bench, two-tone paint, everything chrome, steelies with chrome trim rings, factory sport bar, factory fog lights. Closer to an XLS since all it is really missing is the buckets and full gauge cluster.

You have to remember that every option could be ordered no matter the trim level. Most were just purchased off the lot, and most where probably base models or your standard X. My current rig though shows there are odd-balls out there with basically every option but still designated a lower trim.

In '86 only there was the base, X, and XLS. Your title should give clues to what it is, also your vin can tell you what it is. I've had two '86 X rigs and each one is completely different in options.

My last one had selec-trac, 2.8L, automatic, idiot light cluster, vinyl buckets without full center console, single color paint, no chrome at all other than the standard 10 slot grille, and the "upgraded" steel wheels. Basically what I'd consider a true X since only a few things are "upgraded".

My current one has command-trac, 2.8L, 5spd, 3/4 gauge cluster, cloth bench, two-tone paint, everything chrome, steelies with chrome trim rings, factory sport bar, factory fog lights. Closer to an XLS since all it is really missing is the buckets and full gauge cluster.

You have to remember that every option could be ordered no matter the trim level. Most were just purchased off the lot, and most where probably base models or your standard X. My current rig though shows there are odd-balls out there with basically every option but still designated a lower trim.

ok so how could i decode the vin number cause my title just says 1986 jeep comanche pick-up, probably between the previous owner and DMV there is a BIG idiot  :laughin:

Redwolf

Post it up, someone will decode it for ya. There are also decoders available online, but when I was trying to figure mine out each one gave me a different answer.

yeah same here, i also tried findin out the history on my MJ and car fax said it had 18 reports, auto reports said 24 so i don't know what to believe,

the vin number is: 1JTWW6616GT189532

Redwolf

Mine is an oddball too. 2.8, 5spd, selec-trac, chrome everything, cloth bench, aluminum wheels, 3pc slider window, idiot lights. It's an X

what is the selec-trac? i tried googlin it but can't find anything,

Redwolf

Mine is an oddball too. 2.8, 5spd, selec-trac, chrome everything, cloth bench, aluminum wheels, 3pc slider window, idiot lights. It's an X

what is the selec-trac? i tried googlin it but can't find anything,

Redwolf

Gives an additional 4WD option, ie, "Full-Time" 4WD.  The options would be 2H - 4H (PT) - 4H (FT) - N - 4L.

1988-xj-Selectrac-info.jpg

In 86 there is also the Custom 

now i'm really confused as to what comanche i have, my MJ is plan, right now it has a flat black grille and head light "housins", black bumpers, solid red with thin black pin strips, tailgate says JEEP in black, the JEEP emblem on the from is chrome, i have the chrome rods above the doors, head light pull out switch, cig outlight, i have bench sets, solid back glass, mini console, i'll post pictures tomorrow so yall can see what i'm takin bout,

Redwolf

Really the Custom and Base are the same thing from what I understand, just depends who you talk to is what it'll get called. It was the lowest trim option so that to me is the "base" for all other trim levels.

now i'm really confused as to what comanche i have, my MJ is plan, right now it has a flat black grille and head light "housins", black bumpers, solid red with thin black pin strips, tailgate says JEEP in black, the JEEP emblem on the from is chrome, i have the chrome rods above the doors, head light pull out switch, cig outlight, i have bench sets, solid back glass, mini console, i'll post pictures tomorrow so yall can see what i'm takin bout,

Redwolf

To screw with things even more, I forgot to mention that my old '86 X had a rear slider but my current decked out X does not. No vent windows or cargo box light on either as well. My current one had the factory bed cover at one time too (stupid snaps are still there rusting my bed).

The Jeep letters on the front are always bare metal unless someone painted over them, and the mini console is always there unless you have a full with buckets. Nothing special about the headlight switch or cig lighter as well. The drip rail trim above the door is touchy since even if it was black at one time, the black becomes brittle and peels off so someone could have peeled it off and exposed the bare metal underneath. The window trim is this same way. All the brochures I've seen for '86 had the metal trim above and below the grille, as well as the drip rail, as bare metal. Windshield trim is bare metal as well. Optional chrome like my current X has includes the bumpers, door handles, tailgate handle, mirrors, everything surrounding and including the grille, and tail lights. There is also side molding that could be gotten with a chrome trim line down the middle.

There might have also been something special about the XLS interior, but I've never seen one so can't say. The dash facing might have been silver or something, but all the silver ones I've seen just look like someone took silver rustoleum to the black one and they look awful IMO. Mine is black with silver trim lines around each opening, but I think this was a standard thing since all my MJs have been like this including the Eliminators which are the top dog.

Really the Custom and Base are the same thing from what I understand, just depends who you talk to is what it'll get called. It was the lowest trim option so that to me is the "base" for all other trim levels.

Redwolf

To screw with things even more, I forgot to mention that my old '86 X had a rear slider but my current decked out X does not. No vent windows or cargo box light on either as well. My current one had the factory bed cover at one time too (stupid snaps are still there rusting my bed).

The Jeep letters on the front are always bare metal unless someone painted over them, and the mini console is always there unless you have a full with buckets. Nothing special about the headlight switch or cig lighter as well. The drip rail trim above the door is touchy since even if it was black at one time, the black becomes brittle and peels off so someone could have peeled it off and exposed the bare metal underneath. The window trim is this same way. All the brochures I've seen for '86 had the metal trim above and below the grille, as well as the drip rail, as bare metal. Windshield trim is bare metal as well. Optional chrome like my current X has includes the bumpers, door handles, tailgate handle, mirrors, everything surrounding and including the grille, and tail lights. There is also side molding that could be gotten with a chrome trim line down the middle.

There might have also been something special about the XLS interior, but I've never seen one so can't say. The dash facing might have been silver or something, but all the silver ones I've seen just look like someone took silver rustoleum to the black one and they look awful IMO. Mine is black with silver trim lines around each opening, but I think this was a standard thing since all my MJs have been like this including the Eliminators which are the top dog.

so it's kinda like the jeep wranglers now, ya have rubicon, sahara, sport, sport s, thinks like that but the only difference there seems to be is the name cause ya could customize it before ya bought it?

Redwolf

Do you have the vin? I can decode it for you 

my vin number is 1JTWW6616GT189532 is decodin all ya can do or can ya find out all the info on that vin number like accidents, tickets, stuff light that?

Redwolf

this is my MJ, inside and out all the way around, i just didn't take pics behide the seat and sorry for the mess, me and my dad were bleedin the clutch slave cylinder and a plastic pivot broke  :wall:  :doh:

Redwolf

Looks like a base/custom. I'm assuming the turbine wheels were added and the steel is the factory wheel? Idiot lights? Kind of hard to tell but was the grille spray painted? Those pinstripes (if they are even factory) are not the ones found on the X package, and that is definitely not an XLS unless all the chrome was painted over.

Gotta ask, whats up with that later style steering wheel? Think those look awful compared to the stock three spoke ones.

my vin number is 1JTWW6616GT189532 is decodin all ya can do or can ya find out all the info on that vin number like accidents, tickets, stuff light that?

Redwolf

www.vehicleidentificationnumber.com

1 - US

J - Jeep

T - Truck

W - 6 cyl 173 ci 2.8 ltr

W - 5 spd 4*2

66 - Pickup Comanche 4*2 7' bed

1 - Comanche "custom" std payload

6 - Check digit

G - 1986

T - assembly plant

Remaining numbers the serial no.

As for history, you should look on car fax or similar.

Looks like a base/custom. I'm assuming the turbine wheels were added and the steel is the factory wheel? Idiot lights? Kind of hard to tell but was the grille spray painted? Those pinstripes (if they are even factory) are not the ones found on the X package, and that is definitely not an XLS unless all the chrome was painted over.

Gotta ask, whats up with that later style steering wheel? Think those look awful compared to the stock three spoke ones.

i don't know bout the rims, i got three that match (i'm assumin they're the turbine) and one steel rim, the grille is not spray painted over, i'd be able to tell from touchin it so many times with greasy hands, as far as idiot lights go, i'll have to get back to ya on that one, i know i got 3 of the four main lights on the dash workin, i don't think the gas one will ever work do to it first havin a mechanical fuel pump,

Redwolf

www.vehicleidentificationnumber.com

1 - US

J - Jeep

T - Truck

W - 6 cyl 173 ci 2.8 ltr

W - 5 spd 4*2

66 - Pickup Comanche 4*2 7' bed

1 - Comanche "custom" std payload

6 - Check digit

G - 1986

T - assembly plant

Remaining numbers the serial no.

As for history, you should look on car fax or similar.

what does all that mean? and i've tried car fax and all that, i can't seem to get a free one, why buy somethin i'll only use once,

Redwolf

That tells you what it all had on it stock and your type of MJ. So you have a Comanche Custom. as for the car fax, ive never ran one

alright but what does the follow mean:

W - 6 cyl 173 ci 2.8 ltr (i get the 6 cylinder part but what bout everything else?)

W - 5 spd 4*2 (i understand the 5 speed part but what's 4*2?)

66 - Pickup Comanche 4*2 7' bed (pickup comanche is a given but what bought the 4*2 7' bed?)

1 - Comanche "custom" std payload (i'm understandin the custom part from but what's std payload?)

6 - Check digit (what's check digit?)

Redwolf

173 cubic inch/2.8 litre engine

5 speed trans.  2 wheel drive - not 4x4

Repeat the 2 wd and it has a 7 foot bed (all '86s had the 7 ft bed)

If the eighth digit (the "1") was a 7, the trim package would be an "X". If the digit was an 8, the trim package would be a "Sport" or "XL".

The "check digit" is a meaningless number. 

173 cubic inch/2.8 litre engine

5 speed trans.  2 wheel drive - not 4x4

Repeat the 2 wd and it has a 7 foot bed (all '86s had the 7 ft bed)

If the eighth digit (the "1") was a 7, the trim package would be an "X". If the digit was an 8, the trim package would be a "Sport" or "XL".

The "check digit" is a meaningless number. 

that's sweet to know, so in a nut shell i have a 1986 jeep comanche custome, 2.8 173 cubic inch V6 engine with a AX5 5 speed tranny, 7' bed 2WD made in Toldo, Ohio? :) by the way, was the original engine made in mexico and USA?

Redwolf