Clutch Slave Cylinder

i pulled the clutch slave cylinder yesterday to bleed it and installed it back in, pressed the clutch in to start my MJ for a test drive and a heard a loud ta-tink, i took the slave cylinder back off today to check weather or not i had blown a seal, the cylinder or broke the rod, sure enough the hard plastic piece on the end of the rod had broken in half, doesn't look like the rod itself is damaged so how does the rod go in and how long is it, the only reason i ask is because everything the previous owner's "machanic" touched is broke or breaking,

Redwolf

alright folks, i've been lookin around online and the only slave cylinder i can find with a "cone" on the rod for the cylinder is for the 2.1 diesel engine for an 86 MJ, my question for yall is how long is the rod in the picture for a slave cylinder for a 2.8 v6 engine?

Redwolf just incase yall wanna see the slave cylinder

As someone who's tried using an 86 external setup without the cone... yes, you need the cone.

yeah i found that out today when i hooked everything up and still had no clutch

Can that cone be removed from the rod without damage? If so I may still have one on the garbage slave that came with my 86.

i think so, i slipped a 10mm wrench over the rod and beat the rod once with a hammer but my cone had broke into 2, it's worth tryin somethin like that,

Redwolf

I just did the same thing last weekend. The cone is only pressed into place. It makes the metal portion of the rod about a half inch longer when fully seated. And it is needed to get full disengagement.

yeah i learned that the hard way, also learned that my slave cylinder is a chrysler slave cylinder which explains why i can't find a s10 with one,

Redwolf

Just wonderin, were ya able to get the cone off?

Redwolf

I haven't tried. Whoops. Will look for it this evening.

please do, i can't find one in any of the junkyards around my area and i tried em all although did find 2 MJs but with a straight 6 and an auto tranny both 4 wheel drive too, such a shame to see somethin so beautiful rot away :(

Redwolf

:( The cone on my old slave was cracked as well, from top to bottom. Sorry, best of luck searching for a good one.

it's alright, i found one this mornin on http://www.4wheelparts.com/ they call it a cluch slave cylinder plastic pivot, bought 3 of em, hopefully they don't all break tryin to get the slave cylinder in, thanks for checkin though,

Redwolf

Ok i got the plastic tips in the mail that I ordered and my dad installed one on the rod that goes from the slave cylinder to the bar that holds the clutch throwout bearing, we put the slave cylinder in makin sure the plastic piece lined up with the bar where its supposed to, now when i press the clutch in the rod doesn't look like it moves at all and the clutch pedal has almost no resitance at all, is something else borken under there?

Redwolf

You've got the giant aluminum space on there right?

Has it been bled correctly?  The external slaves need to be held compressed during bleeding.

what do ya mean by giant aluminum space, the spacer that goes between the slave cyl and the tranny? and yes the slave cyl has been bled correctly, me and my dad followed the haynes manual exactly, i started another thread containin the tranny problem, "tranny not shiftin" because i tighted the bottom bolt that my dad forgot and we had movment but very little,

http://comancheclub.com/topic/39779-tranny-not-shiftin/

Redwolf

• 2 weeks later...

Check the clutch master cylinder on the firewall, it miight be out also. And just my opinion but the cast iron cylinders are more reliable. I've had aluminum ones that are bad right off the self.

Check the clutch master cylinder on the firewall, it miight be out also. And just my opinion but the cast iron cylinders are more reliable. I've had aluminum ones that are bad right off the self.

i got it fixed, when me and my dad bled the clutch we never topped off the master cylinder so i drew air into the system like and idiot,

Redwolf