Adjustable Aluminum Wheel Lug Holes

I just bought a set of aluminum wheels, very nice, but the lug holes are slightly elongated (adjustable), so I want to know what angle of lug nuts would be best to use to cause the least damage possible, since the holes are straight through, no inherent angle.

There is no such thing as elongated lug nut holes that I've ever heard of ... except wheels that have been drive with loose lug nuts and the holes damaged.

A long, LONG time ago I had a set of aftermarket alloy wheels on a Javelin that used straight lug nuts. The holes were not elongated, and the lug nuts had straight shanks and washers for bearing on the face of the wheel. I have seen alloys that are universal fit -- the lug holes are in a removable, reversible insert. Orient them one way and you had a Ford bolt pattern, reverse them and you had a GM pattern. I haven't seen wheels like that for a very long time, either.

Are your wheels "hub-centric"? If not ... don't use them.

I've seen them, they're "universal", so you can put them on anything with 5 lugs.  They scare the hell out of me.  You could not pay me to use those, especially if they're not hub centric. 

You wouldn't use tapered lug nuts on something that doesn't have a taper in the rim.

No way would I use wheels like that on any roads with other vehicle traffic. They used to sell these universal wheels for utility trailers back in the day. I suppose you could run them off-road only so the only person you hurt will be yourself. Can you post a pic of these things? From the inner side to see if they are hub-centric? And if so, which hub are they concentric to? Bad idea mate............

Oh, and lol.   :shake:

Several of the major after market wheel manufacturers used to make wheels like that.  Marketed under names like vari-fit etc.  They came with a set of  thick steel 'washers/inserts' one set had holes in the center of the washer, the other set had a hole closer to one end so the wheel could be used on 3 different 5 lug bolt patterns, most often, 4.5, 4.75, and 5".  If you are set on using those rims, what you need is a set of the washers/inserts that were made for that brand of wheel.  Hope that helps a bit. 

I recall seeing some five-spoke style wheels made several decades ago with elongated lug holes to fit different vehicles. My thoughts are, if the elongations are divergent from the center, the wheel would not be able to shift around on the hub due to the placement of the lugs [and the associated torqued down lug nuts] keeping the wheels in place as one is driving... is this not a correct assumption?

Those are just the lug nuts, not the oblong inserts to keep the wheels located. Plus those lug nuts are bullet shaped, which is a bit strange. Even AutoZone has the correct lug nuts, but they don't seem to offer the correct inserts. The lug nuts look like these:

117414.jpg

If the manufacturer's name is stamped on the wheels anywhere, perhaps they are still in business and can provide the inserts.