Parking Brake Pedal Assembly

Because of the scarcity of MJ parking brake assemblies, every effort should be made to repair the one you have. If that is impossible then consider switching to XJ hand brake assembly. Not really that hard to do and they are plentful.

Got a link to that write up?  I have found one to purchase as a replacement but if I can rebuild the current one and let it find a new home, I will.

No I don't.  I'll poke around. I was hoping he would show up in this thread.

Jeep YJ assys are very similar, and I think they could be made to work. I havent tried it but I have one set aside for if I ever have a problem with the one in my MJ.  They are still available from the dealership as there was a recall on them.

:peek:      Did someone call me???

http://comancheclub.com/topic/34536-diy-e-brake-fix/

Still having to tinker with mine. I know what i have to do, its just a huge PITA to take it out.  :fs1:  

OP, if you have any questions PM me and i will do my best to respond accordingly.

OP, if you have any questions PM me and i will do my best to respond accordingly.

The pictures aren't showing up for me.

But I have a question..is there a piece, or what would be out of adjustment, that would hold the parking brake down some so you can get your foot on it easily.

I know I'm not the only one with this issue so I figured it would be okay to slightly hyjack this thread. lol

It look like this when its off:

And it looks normal when its on..

The pictures aren't showing up for me.

But I have a question..is there a piece, or what would be out of adjustment, that would hold the parking brake down some so you can get your foot on it easily.

I know I'm not the only one with this issue so I figured it would be okay to slightly hyjack this thread. lol

It look like this when its off:

And it looks normal when its on..

Sorry about the writeup, i'll see what i can do.  As for the picture, your pedal may be bent or someone cut and rewelded so that this is the new normal position. Also how it bolts to the body could have been altered/damaged in some way.

Sorry about the writeup, i'll see what i can do.  As for the picture, your pedal may be bent or someone cut and rewelded so that this is the new normal position. Also how it bolts to the body could have been altered/damaged in some way.

No problem, the pictures would just help me to figure out my problem.

Well I know of at least 3 members here all with the same issue, so I don't think someone tampered with it like that. I think something happened to the "stopper"...if there is one

The spring responsible for holding the lock arm against the pedal doodad is patheticly weak, thats why i found a much stronger replacement. See writeup.

The lock arm and notched rotating assembly were designed/cut poorly, allowing for it to slip easily when put under load. I like to grind out the notches on the rotating pedal deal and weld a sharper/longer tip onto the locking arm so that it seats deeper into the notches.

Nope, there is a metal stopper built into the bracket the acts as a dead stop for the pedal when released. When i first redid mine, i used an extremely strong return spring, to strong in fact. It would damn near break your leg when it released.

Hmm I wonder if its possible for the metal stopped to bend or brake off..

• 3 years later...

Hey guys I've read most of this and well I'm in dire need of one the gear inside my PB that combines the pedal to the housing well in simple terms is @#$%ing gone, when i bought it I thought the teeth were just worn to find when i disassembled it they actually removed it and due to the fact i live in a very sloped mountain area i need it seeing as my gears cannot hold the truck in place when parking. Most shops here won't do the cherokee swap because i have a bench seat. Please email me any factor that i can use. Email because I'm hardly at my computer. Thank you for any assistance and info you can give in advance, I'm pretty much at a brick wall and need a fix solution fast.

• 6 years later...