Speaker Size?

Hey guys,

The MJ is getting some new speakers as I button up the interior, however there wasn't any in it when I got it. Anyone know what size came factory? And if it's possible to get a replacement speaker housing (cup)? The door panels were cut by my idiot cousin when he had it for 6x9's, so thats what will go in there I think.

The stock size in the doors are 5.25 inch.  However, many people have fit 6.5 inch speakers in with no problem.  I put 6.5 inch Pyle subs in my door, over the panel.  I love it, and in the small cab of the MJ, they really give you plenty of bass.

I cut my xj's front doors to fit 6x9s and I like them way more than the stupid 5" 'ers

No doubt they probably sound a ton better! I just wish the PO (my cousin) hadn't cut up the pristine black door panels.

How did you mount the 6x9 in the door?  I'm going to be installing some form of radio and speakers before long.

From looking at my doors, it looks like all that has to be done is cutting enough sheetmetal to fit the 6x9's cone or housing, and the door panel so it doesn't interfere with the speaker itself.

And then just sink screws into the panel itself to secure it I guess?  I may do that.  I was at the yj today and saw an 86 with the factory speaker covers in the b pillar.  I wonder if that owner did a mod or that's just the way they were that year.

Oops, forgot that part, its looks that way on mine. He used small self tapping screws to mount the speaker to the door, replaced the door panel then drilled holes to mount the speaker grill.  

• 3 years later...

If you are talking about the knee panel, that's where the factory tweeters went with the factory Jensen system.  Not sure if Comanches had them factory, but Cherokees did.  There were no factory speakers in the dash other than that.  As mentioned, 5.25 in the doors and 4x6 in the rear panels, near the seat belt mechanism.