Dump Truck Conversion

My 4x4 conversion is complete and I'm now looking at doing something else with my truck.

Has anyone kicked around the idea of converting your truck's bed to a dump bed?  I've seen S10 chevys and Toyota pick-ups but no Comanches.

Some would ask why.  I would ask why not?  I still use my truck to haul dirt and yard debris so having my truck dump would save my back.

http://www.stealthdumptrucks.com/  I emailed these guys and they say none of their parts fit a jeep chassis, which is fine.  There's ways to make it work I'm sure.   I've looked into piecing it together and I know it can be done.   Fabricating something isn't the hurdle, but designing something that would work is.

I understand the fuel tank filler tube would need to be relocated to the wheel well.  The emergency brake cable bracket attached to the bed reattached to the frame somehow.  I understand the fuel tank straps would need reattaching to the frame some how.  Would the bed clear the fuel tank upon lift?  I'd want the bumper to stay in place while the bed lifted up and over the bumper similar to what stealthdumptrucks does.

I'd appreciate any input you guys might have.

Thanks

I see no reason why it can't be done. The biggest problem being the X uniframe under the bed. Most hydraulic cylinders fit in that area. You would need scissor arrangement instead of a cylinder, or two pushing on the bed. Also either extensively modify the frame or build a platform and raise the bed a couple inches. Maybe six. If you leave the bed in the regular position you will have to remove or modify the rear bumper. Another alternative would be to mount the cylinders outside of the frame. Require relocating the gas tank. Plus all the things you mentioned.  I just use a trailer with a hydraulic dump bed.

I used to work at a Mason Supply Yard, there were 3 guys that had the Loadhandler.

They Swore it was a Great Thing.

Easier than Shovelling the Load out fully,

Leaves with a Cleaner Bed, Less Scrapes.

With the Dump Bed, Unless you Really Reinforce it, there is a Big Risk of it doing the Twist!!!

I've looked at the Loadhandler and thought it a great option, but I'm not sure my back would stand all that twisting motion. I'd love to have a dump trailer or just a trailer but parking space is an issue...

You could always go with a dump body insert, we just got one in at work and looks pretty cool, Just bolts through the bed and into the frame in a couple spots

Here are a few pictures

This is cool, I like this.

Kind of doubt that this is really feasible though as you would exceed the truck carrying capacity rather quickly.

I think our trucks are for medium hauling, anything more (dump bed action size) makes me think you should use a bigger truck.