What Other Camper Shells Fit?

Not to be an @$$...This has been asked and answered before.  I "think" some years of S10 shells fit, but are lacking in height.

I have a 1987 Comanche Pioneer. I'd like to find a camper shell. The dimensions are 62" x 73", roughly. Are there any other smaller trucks that would have a camper that fits? Thanks

Not to be an @$$...This has been asked and answered before. 

Jeez dude, if people only asked questions that had never been asked, there wouldn't be much of a forum, would there!!?  You scared off a noob!!  I'd like to know the answer too.  I've looked far and wide for a shell that actually fits and looks good.  The people listing on CL just say "off a Chevy" or "fits any small truck".  Nobody prints dimensions.  Very frustrating.

I don't know if there is a perfect shell for an MJ.  S-10...too short height wise (and narrow)...older Yota, wrong angle at cab...I even tried one off an Isuzu truck...too narrow.  The only one that I've seen actually fit are the aluminum ones.  I don't personally like those, but they're light...seems like they'd be noisy

Sorry if I came over as harsh - not my intention.  That is why I provided an answer to his question. 

Best place to look for a shell is here on the ComancheClub and then on Craigslist.  Trouble is, most likely you will have to travel if you find a Comanche specific shell.  When looking for an S10 shell as a replacement, I would use Craigslist and ask the seller to measure the length and width of his shell to get an idea if it was close to fitting before I drove out to see the shell.  There is an old post I will attempt to find with the years and dimensions of the S10 shell that does fit the Comanche bed.

The last shell I got for my Commanche was on CraigsList, BUT someone on the ComancheClub had reposted the CL ad here.  Then I found it here and drove 300 miles to get the shell.

Not to be an @$$...This has been asked and answered before. 

Jeez dude, if people only asked questions that had never been asked, there wouldn't be much of a forum, would there!!?  You scared off a noob!!  I'd like to know the answer too.  I've looked far and wide for a shell that actually fits and looks good.  The people listing on CL just say "off a Chevy" or "fits any small truck".  Nobody prints dimensions.  Very frustrating.

I don't know if there is a perfect shell for an MJ.  S-10...too short height wise (and narrow)...older Yota, wrong angle at cab...I even tried one off an Isuzu truck...too narrow.  The only one that I've seen actually fit are the aluminum ones.  I don't personally like those, but they're light...seems like they'd be noisy

Something I've been wondering about, why does my owner's manual say I shouldn't put a truck bed camper on my MJ?

Because it raises the center of gravity considerably and the lawyers didn't want Jeep to be responsible when somebody tipped one over.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

there a web site called http://www.truckinamerica.com/toppers/BedSize.htmthers a list of trucks and bed sizes there . 

here's a few for short beds most are only 20" tall that could fit the comanche

model           year          length                width             height             cab degree

nissansb/rc  83-84          743/4                60                    20                    4

nissansb/kc  85-86          75                     60                    20                    6

nissansb/kc/biglite 94-95   743/4              60                     20                   4

mazdasb/rc/ec  94-05        75                   60                    201/2               n/a    

s-10 sb/xc     82-93            743/4              60                    20                     4

these were just a few that i found that could work not perfect most are short height wise . thought i'd post what i found cause i'm looking for one and the mazda sb rc/ec 94-05 looks to be the best fit for my 87 comanche swb . hope this helps ya'll 

Chris71 has already posted the same website that I used. I looked at several possible cap shells, but as already stated the height was an issue. I kept looking on Craigslist and finally after 15 months one showed up. Drove 50 miles and bought it. 

You may need top be patient, but they keep showing up if you look long enough and try several craigslist locations around your home

well chopper35nj just posted part of that list of bed sizes , for me the dodge is way to long and a couple inches wider height looks good , like i was saying before the mazda's are really close if you don't mind a half inch differance in height and 1/2 wider , so a mazda camper shell would work for me , here in my neck of the woods there's not many comanche's around . heck sometimes i think i'm the only one town except that white long bed i see once a year lol. anyways i don't think i would ever find a comanche top here , so i look for close enough . 

I have an aluminum topper that I swap back and forth between my S10 and Chief, I aint never rode in the bed long enough to know if it's tinny or loud, doubt I could hear it over the Guarddogs anyways... far as the look, the topper serves 2 trucks, looks fine on both, and it was cheap, $50.

• 1 year later...