Shift Boot.

Been looking around and found lots of information on the inner shift boot.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52106_03.htm

but my question is: is there also a trany to stick shift boot?

so it would be:

trany to stick shift

floorboard to stick shift

then the mini console to stick shift?

does this sound right or did i not look at it right?

thanks

That is the part that screws to the floorboard. The one that fits on, in?, the console is shown just below that and to the right. There is no boot that fits directly on the tran and shifter. I have made one for there when I build a Jeep for dirty usage.

So the one in the quadratech ad is a replacement for the inner boot on the comanche? am I understanding this right? the pic sure looks like the beast.

The one that screws to the floorboard.... many thanks for this info. I have been hung up on not seeing comanche in the fitment info previously.

The best one of these I have been able to source at any local scrap yard is still crap. (can you say duct tape.....)

will order one later today.

Groovy info Jim thanks..

Bob

Yes, there are transmission to shifter and floor to shifter and console to shifter boots.

The Quadratec 52106.03 boot is not the correct floor to shifter boot for MJs, but I've heard it can be made to work. The correct boot for the floor is 53002864 (OEM). I bought mine from a local dealer for $36 (they had to order it) and it fits the floor contour and bolt pattern. I assume it works for both AX15 and BA10 transmissions

The Quadratec 52109 02 is listed as for 89-99 AX15 transmissions. It measures about 2-1/4" O.D. and may fit an AX15 but is too small to fit the transmission to shifter location on a BA10. However, I was able to fit it inside the collar below the top plate that holds the shifter in place. Have not been able to locate the correct boot for this position on the BA10 and the old one is in pieces.

The accordion pleated pyramidal boot fits between the console and the shifter. They are available from several sources.

thanks this is the link i was looking for, but from the above post i need to do some more research to make sure it will fit without trouble.

Also how had is it to get the shifter off any tricks (i have not looked at it with the mind set of removing it).

thanks

on an AX5/15, there's two ways to remove the shifter.  Option #1 is to remove the 4 bolts that hold the shifter housing to the tranny and lift it all out.  Option #2 (my preference) is to remove just the shifter from the housing.....it is held in with a cup shaped thingy with a spring underneath.  Press down on the "cup" and rotate it 90 degrees anticlockwise to release it from the pins cast in the inside of the housing, then pull the shifter up.

But, to replace the seal you are talking about, you'll have to seperate the shift lever itself (once removed from the trans).  About 1/3 of the way up is a large collar with a locking detent tab inside it.  Place the lower half of the shifter in a vise securely, insert a long thin piece of metal (old hacksaw blade works well for this) into the slot in the collar and pull the top half of the shifter off the bottom half.  Then you can slide that old seal up the bottom half and replace it.

Jeff

I relined the inner shifter boot for my 88 Comanche Chief with a piece of inner tube rubber.

It's been 3 months, and it's still intact.

It would have been easier to replace it with a new factory part but I didn't know that I needed one until I had the shifter out for a clutch replacement, and I needed the truck the next day.

steve

• 2 weeks later...

Well just to refresh this post I bought the boot from quadratech. It doesn't fit it's too small and the holes don't line up at all...I'm going to have to return this and get the other one part number 53002864 from the post from keyv8r to see if that one works

The holes don't line up exactly, just use self taping screws to attach it to the tunnel. What do you mean by too small?

Ok I tried putting one screw into one hole and the rest doesn't line up...since it has like a metal gasket around the outer ridge it's hard to stretch it...plus, when you do put one screw in , the opposite side of that one its doesn't reach out to the specific hole it really falls in the tranny hole

Well just to refresh this post I bought the boot from quadratech. It doesn't fit it's too small and the holes don't line up at all...I'm going to have to return this and get the other one part number 53002864 from the post from keyv8r to see if that one works

Been there, done that, they never gave me credit for the returned part.

I pick up one from the local Jeep dealer. The part is from a TJ.  It was a perfect fit.

This was on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Jeep-Wrangler-TJ-Manual-Transmission-Inner-Shift-Boot-97-04-Shifter-tear-/221198231609?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AJeep%7CModel%3AWrangler&hash=item3380712839&vxp=mtr

Ok I tried putting one screw into one hole and the rest doesn't line up...since it has like a metal gasket around the outer ridge it's hard to stretch it...plus, when you do put one screw in , the opposite side of that one its doesn't reach out to the specific hole it really falls in the tranny hole

Its not meant to stretch, but once the screws are in the metal will fold to the contour of the plate that is screwed to the tunnel. I replaced mine months ago, so I don't really remember if any of the holes lined up or not. I'm going to say that they didn't, but I know I used self tapping sheet metal screws to mount the boot. IIRC the hole for the stick to pass through is off center, so just put in the same orientation as the original one was in. 

Been there, done that, they never gave me credit for the returned part.

I pick up one from the local Jeep dealer. The part is from a TJ.  It was a perfect fit.

This was on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Jeep-Wrangler-TJ-Manual-Transmission-Inner-Shift-Boot-97-04-Shifter-tear-/221198231609?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AJeep%7CModel%3AWrangler&hash=item3380712839&vxp=mtr

Yeah thats the same one in the OP's link. Which is the one I had bought, works perfect.

The eBay one looks like the one I got from the dealer and it costs less. Not positive it's the same as the OEM part I got, but cpatim and JeepComanche89 have used it and it works. So that gives you about $18 to spend on the next part you WILL need.

Just

Empty

Every

Pocket.