Georgia: '92 4.0 Ho, Ax-15, 2Wd

Just picked her up from just outside of Atlanta today, hense her name. She's a '92 (build date 3/92), 4.0 HO, AX-15, 2WD, Sportruck (?) with 246K miles and some needs. Most notably she needs a front 3/4 but she is rust free (sold new in Ft. Meyers, FL).

Griswold family truckster at work...

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like a whole front clip to me. But hey, not having to paint or pinstripe them? Heck yeah i'd pay $230

Yep, $230 for the whole front clip minus the driver's side fender. There's also $30 in "core charges" and a few other misc parts in there (carpeted panel for back of the cab, brackets, etc).

I registered Georgia at lunch today and had a really neat thing happen. On the way to the DMV I saw Meg, my old '87 driving around. I hadn't seen that truck in 3.5 yrs...what are the odds of running across my 1st MJ on the way to registering the new one??

I registered Georgia at lunch today and had a really neat thing happen. On the way to the DMV I saw Meg, my old '87 driving around. I hadn't seen that truck in 3.5 yrs...what are the odds of running across my 1st MJ on the way to registering the new one??

That's an omen. Hope it's a good one and Meg's okay with you and the new younger missus.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the brake system. OE master cylinder had leaked horribly, stripping the paint off the LF wheel well. Calipers were full of spiders and the LR wheel cylinder leaked and made a mess. I replaced the brake hoses, calipers, pads, rotors, wheel cylinders, shoes, & drums and put in a '96 XJ dual diaphragm booster with a '97 ZJ master cylinder.

Thanks! Hit a milestone today. Georgia was finally healthy enough to drive to work!!

That being said there's still lots to do. Both the interior and exterior are still in desperate need of a cleaning, radio doesn't work, interior lights don't work, speedo gets stuck at 47mph, one turn signal doesn't work, etc, etc. But she's our plying the roads again...brought a new dishwasher home tonight with her too

Seat of the pants comparison says the power is about equal. I haven't done a compression test on Georgia but after 246K I'm sure she's lost some. Maura's compression, by comparison, should be off the charts. The idle of the H.O. is more stable than that of a Renix and the aftermarket support is much wider. If a H.O. donor came by for cheap I wouldn't pass it up...

Managed to get a lot done on Georgia this past weekend. I had to replace most of the accessories (idler pulley bearing was bad, A/C compressor got a delete pulley, and alternator started squealing). Continuing my trend of getting defective parts from Mexico, reman alternator #1 was bad out of the box. Alternator # 2 (reman in China) seems ok so far.

I changed out the e-brake assy and now have one that works :banana: It was, however, a PITA to change. Why skillfully hide one bolt behind the fuse panel?? In any event it's done.

Also went for my alignment this weekend. No issues from the accident :thumbsup:

They had to order shims for the LCA so I have to go back in a few weeks.

Georgia's clutch started acting goofy this week so I replaced the master cylinder.  Seems ok for now but I have to keep an eye on it.  Also replaced the radio and removed all the weird wiring from at least 2 old stereo systems.  Added the carpeted panel for the rear of the cab that I scored from an '88 Elminator in the jy and started tending to some of the body work.  The PO drove through some kind of industrial paint that WILL NOT come off the driver's side.  Replaced the LR fender flare wtih one from the parts stash.  Absolutely no complaints about the condition of the body:

Also I no longer have a Comanche/Cherokee.  I have a Comanche/Comanche Sport (sticker will not come off without collateral damage...).

Yep.  I used Permatex Clear RTV silicone adhesive sealant to glue the badge on.  I also used it to fix the 4 screw holes in the back of Georgia's cab (aftermarket amp).  I was trying to figure out how to scrape the residue from the "Cherokee" badge off the fender and found the combination of Goo Gone and an ice scraper (non marring plastic blade) worked really well.

Pulled the dents on the pass side out this weekend. The rocker, cab corner, and front of the bed had decent dents/creases from the accident. The rocker is unchanged but I pulled the dents 80% or so of the way out (didn't want to paint it). A big C clamp and some body tools did the trick:

Also took Georgia to 2 Pull-a-parts today and she did well on the 100 mile + trip though I need to chase down the oil leak.  I now have a fully functional instrument cluster, windshield trim, and assorted other bits & pieces I needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Been working on Georgia for the past few evenings.  Fixed the interior lights, added the under dash courtesy lights, added the headlight delay module, replaced the missing windshield trim, and replaced the exhaust system with my jy spare system.  It turns out the Renix SWB exhaust and HO SWB exhaust are very close but not identical.  I had to cut all the welded tabs on the pipe, lengthen them by about 2.5", and move them back about 3".  The HO cat is larger, which effects everything else downstream.