Using A Torque Wrench In Reverse?

gogmorgo

Since I'm a little new to using a torque wrench, I was looking up how to's, just to make sure I was doing it right. In just about every one, someone says "don't use it in reverse" and/or "don't use it for disassembly".

My question is, why not? The manufacturer for mine put the reverse onto it, and then gave accuracy ratings for both forward and reverse. The accuracy is higher in the forward (clockwise) position, but not by all that much.

Is there some grounds to not using it to turn things counter-clockwise? Google's not helping...

You don't need to know what the torque rating is when you are dis-assembling and there could be a possibility of damaging the torque wrench by exceeding the mechanism's rating. Many times when dis-assembling an engine it is necessary to use a cheater to break loose bolts that have been in place for a long time or that have been loctited. The torque required to break it loose with a cheater could well damage a torque wrench.

The torque wrench has bi-directional ability as some fasteners may have left hand threads. The wrench mechanism is designed primarily for right hand threads and therefore is not as accurate when used on left hand threads.

Its fine to use one of these....they're more accurate anyway. I also use my HF "click" type to disassemble parts all the time. I just accept that there is going to be a margin of error with torque wrenches unless you get one of the high dollar versions, then I'd be more careful. But if I spent the money for a precise torque wrench, I'd also have it calibrated yearly or so.

64720.jpg

Depends on the wrench some will work both ways and some only go one way.

I don't use one for disassembly because I have other tools for that.but I would say as long as you don't exceed max torque and your not pulling on it past where it clicks you will be ok.

If you are putting a cheater bar on a torque wrench you need kicked in the head.

Torque wrenchs are delicate and specially calibrated and should be treated as such, I make a living with mine and they have to be accurate.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I was using it because it's the only thing I have that accepts a 1/2 drive socket... I set it pretty high, around 200 lbft and didn't hear it click, but that was the first time I'd used it. It's just a cheap Mastercraft wrench, regular price around $100. If I do break it, their warranty is the no-questions-asked lifetime type, so i wasn't too worried. In future, maybe I will be.

I was just pulling an axle shaft out of a garbage hub that was cut out from under a ZJ. When I couldn't budge it I put a torch on the nut, and it pulled pretty easy. I'm thinking I should borrow a breaker and cheater for attacking the nut on my own axle, though.

But the kid behind the computer at the Canadian Tire won't know what's wrong with it ;) If it doesn't work anymore, I'll take it back, and I guess lesson learned however it works out. If it does still work, I'll take better care of it from now on!

Limited budget, heheh... Mostly my entire tool kit is stuff I got for Christmas/birthday presents from my parents :dunno: Not really sure why I got it this Christmas... I asked for a jack and jack stands, but got a torque wrench. :???: Can't really complain, I guess...

I know nobody wants to hear it, but I use mine for disassembly sometimes.

We have 200-1000 ft-lbs ones at work (S/O P/N is QD5R1000 if you want to see what one is worth) and we use them as breaker bars. They actually come with a snipe, and are 'calibrated' with the snipe on them. Experience has shown that they function the same with and without the snipe (as they should); you can't use it by yourself with the snipe on it in the application we have them for. We've had them well past the 1000 ft-lbs mark using them for disassembly, never an issue.

Are you sure Mastercraft lifetime warrantees their torque wrenches? I thought they were only a 1 year.

I've had Crappy tire employees tell me (outside of the store) anything with Mastercraft of any age is replaced under warranty, although I suppose since they're all franchise stores, I guess it depends on where you go how things are done? I dunno. My FSAE team, unless they're donated, always gets Mastercraft tools because of the warranty, and the fact that there's a CT right up the street from campus, so it doesn't take very long or really cost anything to replace things if/when they break. And truth be told, we don't break things very often. Also, we've noticed that the Mastercraft tools are less likely to disappear...

At any rate, I just dug up the packaging and it says lifetime warranty right on it in two languages.

At any rate, I just dug up the packaging and it says lifetime warranty right on it in two languages.

Good deal then. Sears warrantees everything, but torque wrenches only for a year... That's why I thought CT might be the same.

CT does NOT warranty some things beyond a year though. Micrometers, and I believe digital/dial calipers, and a few other things... Even though they are labelled 'Mastercraft'.

Well, I've headed your words, and went out and invested in these:

KsG0GqA.jpg

I'm hoping to attack my axle sometime this weekend... supposed to be sunny and get as warm(?) as 15°F.

CT does NOT warranty some things beyond a year though. Micrometers, and I believe digital/dial calipers, and a few other things... Even though they are labelled 'Mastercraft'.

Good to know...