Military Wrapped Springs With Lift, Group Buy

4 leafs total: 3 regular and one overload.

5 total: 3 regular and 2 overloads

somewhere there are photos of both kinds.

Thanks.

I saw on the General Springs website diagrams of the springs.

Do either spring give a lift of 2" to 3"? Like all of us, as we age things start to sag. I am sure my 25+ yr old springs are showing signs of aging.

Thanks.

I saw on the General Springs website diagrams of the springs.

Do either spring give a lift of 2" to 3"? Like all of us, as we age things start to sag. I am sure my 25+ yr old springs are showing signs of aging.

Tim,

G.S. is going to custom make springs for our trucks. They will make whatever lift we ask for. Just need to get enough guys together to make an order so they can do a run of 5 or more sets to help bring the costs down. Personally I want 2" of lift. I'm reading that the MT (metric Tonne) springs net a couple of inches of lift just because they have a higher spring rate. Yes they will ride a bit rougher, how much is debateable. That is the price to pay for load capacity.

I do want to be included in the group purchase, I just want to know the details before I commit fully. I am not really needing the "military wrap" spring.

What will the cost per spring be?

Approx how much lift?

When do we/I need to finalize?

I emailed GS through their website with my same questions. This was the reply:

"The difference between the 3/1 and 3/2 is design and grading of steel. The 3/2 has a higher capacity at 1700 lbs per side while the 3/1 is rated at 1280 lbs per side. The 3/2 will typically sit the truck 1-1/2" taller than stock as long as your current spring is not the 3/2. Shipping will be between $40 - $60 for a pair depending on which spring you decide on."

Looks like the majority is after the 3/2 with a wrap around the front eye since the people who have previously purchased these springs say they give roughly 1.5" - 2" of lift. Are there any other modifications wanted to the 3/2 or a different spring built as well that would generate as much interest?

Picture of hanger and spring:

Sorry about the quality, its the best I could do since its dark and raining.

I think the 3/2 configuration would suit the military wrap style of spring best.

I would be very happy with 3" of lift over the factory configuration. 2" would work that is what everybody else wants as I can make up the difference with shackles.

Ok, so as I understand it, the 3/2 pack will net us around 1 1/2" to 2" of lift. I would prefer a solid 2" to 2 1/2" of lift, but close enough. The mods are working on getting G.S. into the vendor section where we can order up. I see we have enough interest for an order, so hopefully Mr. Wallace will chime in to let us know how to order.

Looking at that last picture posted, it appears it is going to be very close fit with a mil. wrap. Anyone else got some more pictures showing different angles of the clearance?

Anybody have info on how the 3/2 would flex? I get that they are much stiffer than stock but I still want some flex.

My 91 long bed came with the factory "Big Ton" (aka Metric Ton) package. The second owner added two additional overload leafs to each side. He hauled drywall. My truck still rides OK when empty, but it is a truck - not an SUV. A 300 mile one way trip is not an issue for us at all. And the truck is still OK with a 3300 lbs of blocks properly loaded in the bed for a short ride home.

A short bed would, I expect, be less comfortable. Military Wrap sounds like a "possible" issue and an extra expense.

If you can get enough people interested, I'd be interested in the 3/1 setup since I'm not looking for any more lift. My '86 also isn't used to carry anything real heavy (short of tools and a spare tire) so I'm more interested in the flex.

Ok, everyone, I have tried to summerize who has expressed interest in buying sets and the configuration.

If I missed someone or got the wrong config, please correct me.

Garvin - 3/1

ride172 -3/2

butchershop - 3/2

cpa tim - 3/2 or 4/1

jvd - 3/2 or 4/1

sinkrun - 3/2 or 4/1

86comanche - 3/2 or 4/1

biotex - 4/1 3/2

danbyrambler - 3/2 or 4/1

87warrior - 4/1

tazer15 - 4/1

That make 12 possible customers, but not a committment to the configuration.

Probably should clarify that a little since I just re-read your first post. I'm looking for a 3/1 stock sized spring (not really interested in the 2" lift extra as you had posted). I'm in no rush so whenever you get enough to make a run, give me a yell.

What's the difference between 3/2 and 4/1? And if there's enough interest I'll do the 3/1 as my first choice. Not looking for more lift just didn't think those would have the same interest.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the 3/2 is three regular springs with two booster springs. There is only one wrap spring.

The two boosters give you a greater weight capasity - 1700 lbs per spring.

The 4/1 has four regular springs with one booster. Two of the regular springs wrap around the bolts (front only?) to give additional support (why?). I don't know the weight rating or lift.

The 3/1 config give a weight capacity of 1280 lbs per spring. I don't know if there is any lift from 3/1.

I am leaning for the 3/2. I don't know why I would need the add'l wrap, but I would like the lift and weight capasity.

My $0.02

My reply from GS said that the 3/2 would give approx 1.5" lift

Probably should clarify that a little since I just re-read your first post. I'm looking for a 3/1 stock sized spring (not really interested in the 2" lift extra as you had posted). I'm in no rush so whenever you get enough to make a run, give me a yell.

That what I have recorded for you.

My '87 is currently getting restored. So I am looking ot move soon on a purchase.

I don't know why I would need the add'l wrap, but I would like the lift and weight capasity.

Tim,

The weakest link to the springs seems to be right at the eye hole on the main spring. At least this is where I see them fail. For the little extra money it costs, I personally think it to be worth it. The only way I plan to order a set of springs is if they have the second wrap. I'm going off road and would like the extra assurance. Do we need it? probably not. Just another way to make my manche a bit more personalized.

It is looking like there is enough interest anyways to get an order together both ways. Again Tim, thanks for helping to take charge of this. :cheers:

In fact I even had a CC discount set up (10% off IIRC) with Joe, the owner. Don't know if it's still in effect now though.

Is there still a discount available? Joe???

It sounds like everyone has different needs and wants.

For a group discount do we all have to order the same springs?

Do we have to order at the same time?

Is it possible to get a discount code to use when ordering?

So the key is to get at least 5 pair (10 total springs) in order to get the better price so it's looking as though the 3/2 with a military wrap is a go and kind of split over the next one of whether to go with a 3/1 or 4/1 and if any lift is desired with the other configuration or just stock with a wrap. As far as ordering once the springs are ready to go then I'll put a link to the spring on the site which only the people on this forum will have and then you'll just purchase them there or you can always call in your order as well. I''m not looking for any money up front because this will take a few weeks to be manufactured and would rather have the orders placed and shipped immediately than sitting on them for a while. We can always put a little extra arch in the 3/2 if desired as well so maybe the 3/2 with wrap on front eye with extra 1/2" arch or so and also need to figure out the other spring for people looking to remain closer to a stock stance or lift on that spring as well?