Windshield Wiper Problems

My wipers have barely any difference in speed from slow and high. Sometimes the high just stops on the winshield. Changed the motor for a new one and lubricated and replaced the bushings in the linkage. I also swapped in a different intermittent module with no difference. Has any ne else had this same problem? I'd also like to know if anyone knows what the voltage readings are at the motor ? I have 7 volts on one wire and 10 on another don't, know wether there are seperate feeds for the different speeds or not but i would figure i would get a tleast 12 volts from one of the hot wires when i'm switched to the fast speed. Please any help will be great. I live in a very rainy area and need help fast.

Your wiper motor and switch both ground at the point described in the following write-up. If not done already, I suggest doing the ground refreshing found in the link in my signature. The C101 connector if you have an 87 or 88.

Improving the Instrument Panel Ground

The ground point for the complete instrument cluster on your XJ or MJ is located up under the driver’s side dash. If you lay on your back and look up under there with a flashlight, without wearing a hat, you will see a black wire attached to a shiny piece of metal almost directly above the hood release knob. The screw will have either a ¼” or 5/16” head on it.

This ground point is responsible for handling the ground circuit for the following items: Dome lamps, Seatbelt and key warning, trans comfort switch, wiper switch, headlamp switch and delay module, fog lamp switch, cargo lamp switch, all instrument panel grounds and illumination, power windows and door locks, cruise control dump valve, and a few more things.

The problem is that where the ground point is located does not have a good contact with the chassis where the ground should be. The solution is simple.

Make up a jumper wire with #10 gauge wire about 10” long. On one end, crimp on a ¼” round wire terminal. On the other end, crimp on a 3/8” round wire terminal.

Remove the screw from the existing ground wire and attach the small terminal of your jumper so that the original wire and your new jumper share the same attaching point, one over the other.

Look above the driver’s side plastic kick panel just forward of the top of the hood release knob. You will see an 8mm stud there. Attach the large terminal end there with a washer and nut over it tightened securely.

**Special note for Comanche owners: Make your jumper wire 12” long and attach it on the driver’s side kick panel close to the fusebox on the 8mm stud.**

Revised 11-29-2011

I went down and tried to help drewboy23, compared my voltage on my MJ to his....my truck was no help(no intermittent wipers). The full story is he swapped in a column with intermittent wipers, and right now low works great...getting about 11.5v outta that wire(white w/ black) on low...but on high the (blue w/ white wire) we are getting 8v. So to me it's losing voltage somewhere....Or the wiring is different from model to model and where the trucks high hooks up to the columns wiped switch is in the wrong terminal. But maybe the wiper switch has a bad internal conection.

Improving the Instrument Panel Ground

The ground point for the complete instrument cluster on your XJ or MJ is located up under the driver’s side dash. If you lay on your back and look up under there with a flashlight, without wearing a hat, you will see a black wire attached to a shiny piece of metal almost directly above the hood release knob. The screw will have either a ¼” or 5/16” head on it.

I have looked and looked for this ground bolt on my 91 and can not see it. Is it present on the HOs as well Cruiser?

I have looked and looked for this ground bolt on my 91 and can not see it. Is it present on the HOs as well Cruiser?

I'm not sure. Attaches to the kneebar near where the round black diagonal dash brace is. Not far from the velcro for the wiper module IIRC.

Did you try bypassing the wiper intermittent module. Just pull the connectors off the module and connect them together.

.g

I believe I remember him telling me he bypassed it and same thing. Which if that was the case, I would think the switch itself is having the issue.