How Much Is My Comanche Worth?

birdie5

Vehicles this old are very simple to work on. I started my build with very little knowledge about what I was doing and did as much research as I could and just dove in. You'd be amazed at what you can do with even the simplest of tools.

On that note, $1700 for an engine is expensive as hell. When I worked at a shop, we could get 4.0's from junkyards for $400 and charged around $600 to put her in with parts (this includes gaskets and tune up parts). These engines are not hard to remove and install. I do know the feeling of not wanting to part with a vehicle also. My '92 is rusted to all hell yet I don't want to get rid of it since it's a '92 ('91 model year :( ).

Ask many questions as there are many on this forum that are more than happy to help out. If you do a little searching and a little research and ask specific questions then you will see the full wealth of information that is really on this forum.

I know I overpaid for the work that has been done on it recently, I was in a one mechanic town and Betty was not running, I had little choice at the time. I appreciate everyone's help, and I don't doubt that I could figure out HOW to do the work myself but I'm a 115 lb woman with severe tennis elbow - I'm not going to be lifting any heavy objects. I don't think it's the right project for me. I'm not sure that I could even change one of the tires.

Options??? Sorry, don't know it's an '87

Manual* - 4cyl

Looks like a six cylinder to me. That's a sweet Dana 35.

:???: I'm confused now...

I think you're right, I think it is a 6 cylider

What is a Dana 35??

Your rear axle.

She is a five speed.

Well this is depressing - I have spent almost 5 on her!

You will never get the money back that you dump into a vehicle repairs...especially the labor. I said "real world value". Not trying to be a jerk...it's just the way it is.

You probably got the 4 cylinder and the 4.0 confused. That is a 4.0 six cylinder.

Nice looking truck. 2000 max. The folks on here speak the truth.

Sorry you paid so much for an engine. I'm assuming that is installed.

These trucks simply are not worth much. They are 20 - 26 years old and not collectors

Just all the freaks on here love them, but the market simply is not that great.

Everyone wants a Tacoma or a Super Duty

I like to think my MJ is "priceless" because it is to me. I love to keep fixing it. What the he** else would I do with my time, take up knitting?? I bought mine for $400...I've put 2-3K into it over 3 years...I've gotten USE out of it...I have no car payment. I'd be hard pressed to get $2000 for it here with zero rust and 70% new parts. Here's mine almost 2 years ago...I have put another $500-$800 into it since then...just in parts...no labor costs.

You have 2 choices. Cut your losses and sell it for what is worth or keep it and fix it up.

If you keep it, I suggest you start learning how to fix things yourself. It can be very rewarding.

Absolutely. Couldn't have said it better!!

The older MJ's can be a little tricky to get running correctly. I had trouble with mine and couldnt figure it out. Eventually, I took it to a mechanic who couldnt figure it out either. Then I decided to take it to a Jeep dealer. The problem turned out to be a faulty sensor which is very common. Now it runs like it did when new. If you plan to keep it, I suggest you give that a try. Try to look for a mechanic that has been there for many years. Then they will have had AMC/Renix experience. The money has been spent. Either you keep it or sell it. If you want to keep it, you may as well get it running and get some use out of it.

There are a lot of folks on this forum that would like to have it. Whether they can afford it is another story. But if you sell it, you will only get out of it what it is worth.

An '87 with a junkyard engine in it really isn't worth all that much. The body on yours isn't totally trashed, but it's not exactly showroom mint, either. It's a Chief, which means at least it's not a base model and has guages rather than idiot lights, but the most valuable part of the truck as it sits is the roll bar. The Dana 35 rear axle is also not a "must have" choice. The wheels aren't from an '87, and they also aren't alloy so it sorta makes you wonder why somebody even bothered to put them on.

I paid $500 for an '88 Chief in better condition with lower miles, and I paid $600 for an '87 Pioneer in better shape with lower miles. Both of those were around 100,000 miles when I bought them. The sad truth is that you have a truck that is realistically worth between $500 and $750. If you have twice that much in it and don't want to sell for less than what you have invested, I believe you have yourself a long-term investment on your hands. I know I wouldn't pay $1,500 for it, and I'm not saying that to be insulting. What matters to me is the body, interior and chassis. I can do mechanical work -- I'm not good at body work.

I sympathize with your situation. At this point, I have invested between $3000 and $4000 in my $500 '88 Chief, and it doesn't run because the clutch rusted to the flywheel. I don't have the time to fix it, the frame is developing a crack, and I should sell it -- but I'd have to give it away and I'm not quite ready to do that just yet.

if I remember right you are from ct? I'll be waiting for that chief to go up for sale;)

If you want my opinion, since it seems to me that you don't really want to keep it and work on it, please PLEASE try to make sure it finds a good home where it will be cherished and not flogged mercilessly into the ground. MJ mistreatment is a horrific tragedy.

MJs can be pretty temperamental but when they're running strong as a result of your hard work, there's nothing like that feeling.

I'm keeping her, I have too much money in her and I do like her. Anyway, what else is left to replace??

As far as the value goes I guess I assumed she'd be worth more than I paid for the engine I just put in her, I guess I thought at least 2,500. Apparently not, but that's OK.

Found out she needs a new rear end. Anyone know where I can get a used one?