WRZ's comanche Now the 96 od2 swap in progress

Wrz

How's everyone doing, I'm new to this forum and finally bought a comanche after searching for a few months. I've owned a few zj's and have a xj as a dd currently. I have high hopes for this build and we shall see where it takes me, can't say I have a budget since its a JEEP

Bought it from a member here on CC for $900 and got beat up on the shipping costing me a total of $1525 to my door. Needs a trans seal to get it running ( trans in bed )

Specs
1990 comanche pioneer lwb
174k auto 4x4 355 gears
Solid frame
Newer engine with 85k
Roll bar
Needs rockers and some body work

Here are some pics

My xj in the background

Took the bench seat carpet and some trim out

What a pitta the lower seat belt bolts are

Mostly surface but has a couple poke through spots on the drivers side

Passengers side mostly surface and nothing too major

Comanhe- $900
Shipping- $625
Cost to date- $1525

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Made some small progress on the mj

swapped the doors from a 99 cherrokee ( still need the door strickers )

The Donor Doors

Before

After

Another after pic, Must of delete the before pic :doh:

Still have to line up the body lines, and wire everything up but is comming along slowly

This weekend i will finish up sanding up he passengerside floor Monstaline the interior and start on fixing and doing the wiring

Anyone have a good write up on column to floo shift? The tranny is being refreshed this week and i would like to do this swap before the carpet goes in

Doors- Free from work :thumbsup:

Cost to date - $1525

Will add in the other parts i have as i install them

Made some good progress on the MJ today

spotted this little jem at my work and will be working on the price with the boss, will hopefully have it at the house this weekend comming up

no rott or rust anywhere just a dent on the lower rear corner

Sold the rims/tires and front brush guard the manche came with for $160

The first 3 came off like butter, the 4th was stripped and would not come out. ending up drilling the studs to get it off

will be replacing with zj studs since i will be doing discs in the rear at some point

Got the bed off :) what a pitta lifting by yourself

Some 5.9 zj rims i tossed on, had left over from a part out, will use for rollers

Little present from the PO

Happy to say the frame is rott free with some flakey undercoating and minor surface rust

Misc picture of the load sesing valve, will be eliminating when i redo the brakes

Do these leafs look correct? seem kinda funny with banna shape they have

made some more progress on the passenger side floor, alot of rust but no holes bigger then a skittle lol

Bed removal was pretty straight foward, with no broken bolts ( soaked them all in crc freeze off for two days ) Gas tank had new hardward which was great and made it easy and even came with a little over a quarter tank :)

Making some progress and will hopefully have her in the garage so i can work on it at night after work

next weekend i will get the frame and under carriage pressure washed, and weather permitting get the monstaline rolled on :banana:

Previous total - $1525

Parts sold- $160

Cost to date- $1365

Made some small progress on the manche today, Got the frame and under carriage all pressure washed, still have a few more spots to hit i missed

In the process

No rott, Just som minor surface rust and flakey unde coating

Tomarrow i have some grinding, sanding and some prep work before the monstaline goes on ;)

Looking good dude. What happened to that leaf?

I bought the jeep like that, does not appreared to be lifted. But would like to correct it or get a replacement pair

Any ideas why it's shaped like that?

• 1 month later...

Been awhile since ive updated my build, Stripped the front end of its sheet metal 2 weeks ago, and Finally made some real progress last weekend and got the engine pulled, figured it would be easier to replace the exhaust manifold, motor mounts ect and paint the engine bay with the engine out the way.

First time pulling a motor and it went fairly good with a few broken items but nothing too major

Gave the engine a quick bath and who would have knew my block is blue lol

Been a little nervous putting all this time and money into this engine that i never head run since the trans was in the bed when i bought it.

Takes a small edge off of things knowing it was rebuild at sometime

And the engine bay after a pressure wash

Tomarrow i will start on replacing gaskets and some engine goodies :) more pictures to come tomarrow

Love the progress you're making. Can't say I've ever seen a 4wd with an auto on the column. Great work!

Thanks I've been debating on doing a floor shift swap, but kind of like the old school column shift lol

Starting to clean up the motor one side at a time, Got the intake and exhaust manifold pulled ( to my suprise all the bolts came out very easy )

Knew the exhaust manifold was cracked and prevously welded a few times

Time for an upgrade, picked up some pacesetter headers off ebay a few months back for $147.50 shipped

Quick coat of paint since they had some paint chips from being moved around. ( also painted the motor mount )

Cleaned and painted the intake manifold and heat shield

Block after a cleaning and some paint

Throttle cable bracket cleaned and painted as well

Painted the bolts and will have to swap the washers with the new ones that came with the headers ( forgot all about them till i called it a day )

Shinned up the brass fittings with a wire wheel

Exhaust mocked up

Image Not Found

All assembled

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Hopefully i can find a good egr tomarrow from the jy, Apparently the egr tube needs to be modified to fit the headers, its off by a solid 5/8 and need to get the one bolt in behind tube 4. Think i will try to grind it down some

Previous total - $1365

Headers $147.50

Cost to date- $1512.50

Hope that motor runs after all that hard work. But I just started my rebuild on my 92 and I'm sticking money into something that Ive never driven. Good Luck

I hear ya deffently a gamble, but the owner i bought it from was pretty on the money as far as what was wrong with the jeep, so i have my fingers crossed

Had another good weekend on the comanche and made some more progress on the engine

Pulled some accessories off the front

Did not take too many before pictures, but here are some of the almost finished product

New Waterpump and painted pullys

Upgraded the fan clutch with one from a 98 ZJ and painted the fan

New high flow thermostate housing and 180 degree stat

Cleaned and painted the a/c compressor and brackets

Picked up a new to me valve cover from work, Nice upgrade

Upgraded the oil temperature sensor for when i do the gauge cluster swap

Front assembled

Changed the plugs and wires and they sent me the wrong cap and rotor http://comancheclub.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/fist shake 1.gif

Not too bad for a few hours of work

Still need to swap injectors

Add a second coat of paint to the valve cover and install

Wait for the brown santa to bring me alternator

Order a new cap and rotor

Change oil pan gasket and paint/clean

decide what to do with my throttle body ( really want to add the h.o one )

Swap in water temp sensor for futue gauge swap

I know I'm forgetting a few other items on the to-do list

If theres anything else i should swap out or upgrade feel free to chime in

Previous total - $1512.50

Water Pump- $30.00

High Flow Thermostat $50.85

Zj Fan Clutch- $44.95

Autolite Plugs- $9.00

Taylor wires - $43.95

Valve Cover- Work Perk

Cost to date - $1691.25

Looks awesome you can tell by the first pic you placed in the post! Huge difference in the look of the engine....

Thanks it's coming along, not as quick as a prefer but should look good when all done :)