Got Me Stumped

The very first plug (round thing with two holes) is for the shift light. It is open in top gear and reverse, closed in the other gears. leaving it off (like when using a transmission that doesn't have a hookup for it) won't do anything besides disabling the shift light.

I've been around quite a few AX-4/5s, AX-15s, and BA 10/5s. I've only ever seen the one sensor on them for the reverse lights. Also, both of the Renix manual XJs I had would pop up the shift up light in 5th and reverse... I've never seen anything that would indicate there was a switch on the trans for that.

I got my truck with an AX4, it had two plugs on it, one operated the reverse light, the other one (the one that the right connector goes to) connected to a switch on the 4th gear shift rail.

I swapped in an AX5, it had the one plug so I plugged that one in, and I have working reverse lights. It did not have the circular connector, so I could not plug that one in (it has a plug threaded into the hole). My shift light does not come on anymore. If I would feel more energetic I would crawl under my truck and splice the two wires together to see if that makes my shift light work again to prove my theory.