5.5" $600 Mj Lift - Cheap, High Quality, 100% Complete Lift [Please Read Note]

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice write up, but using stock control arms is a terrible idea. I've seen stock control arms fail on the trail several times. Including both stock uppers fold like a taco on an XJ with drop brackets and aftermarket lowers. Using the factory lowers with drop brackets is just asking for failure. If your now extra low hanging control arms ever touch anything, they will fold.

Drop brackets and factory control arms are okay if you ONLY drive on the street. Even then I wouldn't do it, but that's just me.

Nice write up, but using stock control arms is a terrible idea. I've seen stock control arms fail on the trail several times. Including both stock uppers fold like a taco on an XJ with drop brackets and aftermarket lowers. Using the factory lowers with drop brackets is just asking for failure. If your now extra low hanging control arms ever touch anything, they will fold. Drop brackets and factory control arms are okay if you ONLY drive on the street. Even then I wouldn't do it, but that's just me.

The lower control arms will be the exactly same height off the ground as they were before minus any difference in tire height.

• 1 month later...

Biotex, on 16 Jul 2013 - 06:59, said:

I lifted mine 4.5", and did not use the control arm drop kit. My lifted MJ drives perfectly at all speeds. Not sure what drivability issues they are referring to when they state:

"This kit is used to lower the upper and lower control arm mounting points when the XJ Cherokee is lifted at least 4.5". Lowering the control arm mounting points reduces the arms angles and substantially improves ride quality and handling."

The lowering kit also greatly reduces ground clearance behind the front tires where you need it when coming off a rock. I'm not sure I can justify the expense for a 4.5" lift.

4.5" front and rear? If so what did you do for the rear? Spring over and remove a leaf?

• 1 month later...

Linky no longer worky, and it was working last week sometime.

Anyone know what vehicle RE2053 spring perches are for? My Google fu needs some practice I guess. I can't find anything with that part number on the net...but I have two of them in the original packages with that number stamped. Maybe universal?

Linky no longer worky, and it was working last week sometime.

Anyone know what vehicle RE2053 spring perches are for? My Google fu needs some practice I guess. I can't find anything with that part number on the net...but I have two of them in the original packages with that number stamped. Maybe universal?

I fixed the link!

• 3 weeks later...

About the Rubicon Express control arm drop brackets, I've been told they require some modification to actually fit on an XJ/MJ, and to just go with the rough country brackets (over $200). I doubt he was bull$#!&tin me, but I'd like to make sure before dropping the extra cash on those rough country ones. With the amount of research that went into this list, I'm sure you'd know better than he would on those specific brackets. 

About the Rubicon Express control arm drop brackets, I've been told they require some modification to actually fit on an XJ/MJ, and to just go with the rough country brackets (over $200). I doubt he was bull$#!&tin me, but I'd like to make sure before dropping the extra cash on those rough country ones. With the amount of research that went into this list, I'm sure you'd know better than he would on those specific brackets.

The RE9900 drop brackets fit fine. The RE9905 bracket braces technically do not fit, but can be made to fit. An extra hole needs to be drilled for the forward cross member bolt position and some minor trimming around the Comanche's extra LCA bracing may be required. I have held it up to my Comanche's frame and noted those minor differences they would prevent it from fitting. I have not yet done those modifications to install them or completely test fit them.

The RE9900 drop brackets fit fine. The RE9905 bracket braces technically do not fit, but can be made to fit. An extra hole needs to be drilled for the forward cross member bolt position and some minor trimming around the Comanche's extra LCA bracing may be required. I have held it up to my Comanche's frame and noted those minor differences they would prevent it from fitting. I have not yet done those modifications to install them or completely test fit them.

X2 The brackets themselves fit fine.

• 2 weeks later...

What would I benefit from if I installed them? Just a more rigid structure? Do you recommend I get them, or would it be an unnecessary expense?

They brace the drop bracket to the frame. If you only drive on the road they are probably not needed. Off road, it would probably be a good idea.

Quick question, what would you feel would be the best shocks to go with this set up. Thanks for your time.

He used Bilstein 5100 series shocks,

Front: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009VTIMVU/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rear: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009FU6PWI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Are the exact models he used on his, I ordered a set myself.

Quick question, what would you feel would be the best shocks to go with this set up. Thanks for your time.

He used Bilstein 5100 series shocks,

Front: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009VTIMVU/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Rear: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009FU6PWI/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Are the exact models he used on his, I ordered a set myself.

Yep, those are the ones I bought. The bar pin has to be pressed out and replaced with aftermarket bushings. I reused the bushings from the previous shocks since they were still good.

The rear shocks: I ended up using the Zone Offroad ZONJ5859 and mounted the shocks higher on the rear axle.

http://www.nonamestudios.com/uploads/gallery/album_12/gallery_1_12_131064.jpg

Depending on how the Iron Rock mounts are put in place it might be needed to use the one inch longer Bilstein 33-151663 shocks for the rear. The Iron Rock mounts are a little more flexible in mounting position than the Zone Offroad mounts.

Ride: Front is smooth especially after adding WJ lower control arms. The rear is a little rough due to the light rear, but smooths out with a few hundred pounds of load.

Would CA drop brackets be required for this lift with adjustable control arms? Thought just crossed my mind as I was about to hit the buy now button on quite a few lift components. I've got the 4.5 ruby coils rather than the 5.5, since they lift higher than stated.

*Shrugs* I made the choice to use drop brackets solely for retaining the stock control arms and a good control angle to keep a good on road ride. That is really a choice for you to make. You could always do it without the drop brackets first to see how you like and how the control arms look.