Flex Plate, No Start

Plus the CPS & ECU also tell the injectors when to squirt.

Didn't think about that scenario, I don't want to source a 25 year old JY part, it's going to fail sometime anyway. The only other option is a very expensive one. The Hesco conversion kit for the front of the crank and I think I have to pull the harmonic balancer off to install it. I thought it was around $300!

Wow, I called Hesco this morning to see if they ever had a problem like this and mentioned that I had some of their parts on the truck and the guy really turned me off. He said the Jeeps are getting old and almost considered "Scrap". Wow, never heard that. I don't consider my truck scrap, thank you very much. He said I'd be better off changing everything over to the '91 and up OBD1 system to get away from my problem locating the flexplate.

Now I'm offended and still without my truck.

It's just hard to understand how multiple aftermarket parts could ALL be the same and yet ALL be wrong. I put a Crown flexplate into an '88 XJ several years ago, and it fired right up and ran perfectly. I can't understand how they would have changed their production since then.

Is there any possibility that you got the holes misaligned? I know the six mounting holes are staggered slightly, but is it possible that by a little forcing the flexplate could have been installed in an incorrect alignment?

I believe the flexplate can only be installed one way. I took the washer and rotated it to every bolt to make sure this exact scenario wasn't happening. I thought the same thing. I will Really clean it up tonight, I called a junk yard and they have a used one I can see tomorrow. If that's not correct and if I can't find any number on it I will just have it welded to get buy until I can get it figured out I guess. I am in the same boat, I can't think why the aftermarket parts can be all wrong, just racking my brain to find out why. I'm sure it's an easy fix like putting gas in it but we'll see!!

Come to think of it I insert a large screwdriver through the wiindow to wedge against a bolt to torque it. Maybe it could slip? I know the ring gear is welded but I don't know if the signal ring can be moved. Very interesting!!!!!! I can't wait to get home and check to see what a goof I am if that's the case. :doh:

Update today. When I got home i looked at the signal ring and it can't move because it's all one piece, with the exception of the welded on starter ring. I called a junk yard close to my house yesterday and they supposedly had a flexplate from a '90 Cherokee. I didn't hold my breath if it was going to be the right one or in good shape but the pictures tell the story.

I have amassed quite the collection of flexplates. The one on the bottom is still my stock cracked one. The two on the top are the Crown and the ATP that have the timing windows in the wrong location. The second one to last is the junk yard part I picked up this morning. It is exactly the same as my stock one. So it does exist, it's no fluke. I got it running after adjusting the TPS sensor. It runs good but it has a wicked lifter tick. I have 50psi of oil pressure but it's out of the ordinary. That's for another post I guess. I'm so glad I have it out of the garage on it's own 4 wheels. Thanks for all the replies and help guys!

Wow, what the hell....

Now that I'm pondering this a bit... I have a buddy who has an XJ that his daughter drives, and he got a steal of a deal on it because it never would run right after a transmission (and I assume flexplate) replacement. He finally got it to run correctly by actually slotting the mount for the distributor and moving it slightly. I don't fully understand the CPS/distributor relationship, but I'm now wondering if it was due to a bunk flexplate like this....

There wasn't ANY part numbers on either old flexplate so I will never know why these parts differ. It would be nice to determine what was really wrong. I do know this, if there's any more problems in the future with the entire drivetrain I will rip it out and go newer, '91+. It's just too hard to find parts anymore, I will agree with Hesco.

• 1 year later...

So revisiting this old thread, I think the junk yard flexplate cracked with my new stroker. I still have a new Crown flexplate but as you know the timing windows are in the wrong position. Anyone want to take another stab on what to do? I can take a video of the noise, just the other day it was 90 degrees out and the noise was almost completely gone. That is what leads me to believe it's another flexplate. I need to make sure it's not any type of mechanical noise before the "warranty" is over on the motor.

Yes I have, I plan on replacing it just for a piece of mind anyway.  It's a little difficult to see up there and I am pretty fast on replacing it so I will do what that post suggests and if I don't see any cracks I might just pull it out anyway to give it a good inspection.  

I took a video today to let you guys hear what I am talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ1VbtAWZrw

Here is a short video of it revving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wIU0HXWljI

See what you think, I think it may be a bit of both, but without putting a new flexplate in I cannot rule it out.