Alexia's 1987 To 1997 Comanche

I'm curious why you didn't want to pull the intake manifold off, mill the inlet bigger, and stick the new throttle body directly to it. 'Sup wit' dat? Awesome and interesting work as usual there, Alex!  :popcorn:

I have taken the intake manifold off five times now. I hate taking it off especially with the terrible exhaust manifold design on it.

Also, while I could mill the inlet bigger it would hit the bolt hole bosses of the stock locations.(Just barely.) Plus the GM DBW throttle body needs a minimum of 10mm of a spacer to clear everything else since it sticks down below the surface outside the mounting area.

I'm doing this conversion myself and was looking back through yours and couldn't find how you did the rear wiring. Did you adapt into the MJ harness or extend the cherokee harness to reach the taillights?

A little of both. I ran mostly new wires to the back and reused connectors as needed.

I'm doing this conversion myself and was looking back through yours and couldn't find how you did the rear wiring. Did you adapt into the MJ harness or extend the cherokee harness to reach the taillights?

A little of both. I ran mostly new wires to the back and reused connectors as needed.

Running new wires is what I figured would be easiest. I've been pondering what to do about it for a few days.

Running new wires is what I figured would be easiest. I've been pondering what to do about it for a few days.

Do you have a Home Depot near you? They sell 14 and 16 gauge wires in multiple colors meant for wiring trailers. It is good quality and what I used for the rear lights.

I do have one fairly close I think that's what I'll do. Thanks. How's the fuel cell working out? I'm going to try the Dakota tank out but worst case scenario I'm going to end up with a fuel cell. By the way I really don't like Chrome but wow does that look awesome on your truck.

I do have one fairly close I think that's what I'll do. Thanks. How's the fuel cell working out? I'm going to try the Dakota tank out but worst case scenario I'm going to end up with a fuel cell. By the way I really don't like Chrome but wow does that look awesome on your truck.

The fuel cell comes with a metal cover that I should put over it to protect the rubber and plastic pieces from UV damage. Otherwise, it works fine.

• 3 weeks later...

The end mill snapped in half during the final cut out of the piece so I ended up having to some manual cutting and sanding to finish the piece.

IMG_2135.jpg

This was before more sanding and polishing.

IMG_2133.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg

Progress on the wiring harness. I need to get some wire tie downs to utilize in the now empty bolt holes from the throttle linkage bracket.

IMG_0815.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I wrapped up the GM accelerator position pedal(APP) modifications tonight. There is one more I might do that involves the transmission kick down cable, but I have to see what I am doing with the transmission programming first.

The pedal position is amazing now since I could customize it anywhere I wished it to be.

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2143.jpg

IMG_2142.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The accelerator position pedal is finished. The hole in the firewall had to be enlarged, but afterwards the other modifications to the transmission valve cable worked out great. Hooking the TVC up to the pedal is a little silly, but it saves a lot of engineering of a CAN bus device to actuate a solenoid on the transmission.

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2147.jpg

Clever! Is it adjustable so you can still dial everything in?

Yep, I set it to be able to account for the cable stretching. I needed 1/8" more of travel on the cable so the pedal is just barely not bottoming out against the full travel. I can set the voltages in the Haltech to make 100% throttle a little earlier.

• 4 weeks later...

I like it. Which head are you using Alex?

I am fairly sure I put a 0630 casting on there. Stock, no special clean up or anything done. It was rebuilt so the head was shaved slightly making the combustion chamber smaller which bumped the compression ratio slightly.

So I must have missed it, you're no longer running the Supercharger?

Nope, it is just too small for the engine. I have plans for a turbocharger eventually. This is what the Haltech is really leading into.

Are the Sprintex install instructions available anywhere online? And before I waste my time, I'm at 4.5L-4.6L. Basic Hesco stroker crank and rods still with the stock cylinder bore. So no-go for this engine Alex?

EDIT:  Found the TJ 4.0 instructions. Reading now..............

Are the Sprintex install instructions available anywhere online? And before I waste my time, I'm at 4.5L-4.6L. Basic Hesco stroker crank and rods still with the stock cylinder bore. So no-go for this engine Alex?

The supercharger included in the kit was originally designed to target around 3.6L. On the 4.0L it is meant to produce about 6 PSI of boost. So basically the original PSI drop from 3.6L to 4.0L basically becomes 0 PSI around the typical size of a stroker engine.

I have all the copies of the instructions, but most of the installation issues with the prototype I worked out and documented.