Comanche Camper... The Comansion!!

Let me start by saying that this has been a couple months of collecting and waiting for the right parts to come along. Everyone likes a story, right? Have a seat... let me tell you something:

I work at a tech school. One of my coworkers came up to me and asked if I know of anyone selling a camper that he could turn into a deer shack. Not knowing anyone, I introduced him to CraigsList. He was floored by how much stuff is on there. Anyhow, I typed in the keywords "Camper Trailer" and the ball got rolling from there. We found several dumpy trailers that he wanted to look into further and I found something too. The title on the add was "Ranger Camper Topper". Hu... probably just an over the cab slide in style of camper. No. This was something much better. What kind of image pops into your head when you hear this?: "When the topper is closed there is the same room as a regular topper." or "It can be used for camping or just as a regular topper too." or "Hard to find!". What do I think of? I think of one these:

Yes! A WilderNest Adventure Topper!!! I found it all of a half hour from my house for a shockingly low price. All of the major parts are there. Couple parts missing are the pop out window supports and the fiberglass wands to keep the canvas tight... not a big deal. It was designed for a Ford Ranger so it doesn't fit quite right: our trucks have a tapper from front to rear that the Rangers don't and the MJ box is about two inches longer. Like this:

Something this cool has no place being mounted on a crusty truck like that one. Then comes the issue of the space between the cab and the topper itself. How would I fix that? Hmm... I'd get rid of the cab and so I could mount something cool like a fold down table or something on the front. Again, the problem comes down to the crusty truck... need something with way less rust to make it worth it. Something like this:

That's one happy gypsy!!!

So the story continues... After a long road trip today to go and get my nearly rust free box, I couldn't wait to start figuring out the frame that I'm putting under it. Yeah, I could've gone with cutting an MJ in half for a frame and made it real easy... but that's lame! What's better than building a sturdy frame to go under an MJ pickup box trailer? How about a trailer frame that made completely on stainless steel?! I'm pretty much just doing that because I've got a bunch of stainless that just about dropped into my lap recently. So, I've got the topper now and the bed, and now I can start laying out how I'm going to build the frame. How about some more pictures?!:

Plans are keep growing including a stainless tank mounted underneith for water, carpet wrapped panels inside, cool little cubbies for keeping camping gear, and so, so much more. I'm hoping for years of camping adventures with this thing and high hopes of taking it across the country behind my Eliminator. Of course, for every place we stop needs a sticker or a badge as proof that we've been there just like any other camper. To start the journey, it needs a badge of its own:

Stay tuned, guys... been looking forward to this build for a while!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hate you so much. :fs2:

But, I like this little guy a lot, so here's another just for fun. :fs2:

Looking great. I can't wait to see what you end up turning out on this. Should be pretty killer.

Most of this madness started when we were feeding ideas off each other, and I told Ben about this idea I had to find a Wildernest and make a trailer. Then like the jerk he is, he starts falling into all of this. Should be awesome Ben.

Subscribed.

Rob :fs2:

I hate you so much. :fs2:

But, I like this little guy a lot, so here's another just for fun. :fs2:

Looking great. I can't wait to see what you end up turning out on this. Should be pretty killer.

Most of this madness started when we were feeding ideas off each other, and I told Ben about this idea I had to find a Wildernest and make a trailer. Then like the jerk he is, he starts falling into all of this. Should be awesome Ben.

Subscribed.

Rob :fs2:

Uh... thank you? :dunno: I like being that jerk, though. :yes:

Thanks dudes. Wish I had an update for today but I've been spending it fussing around with the '88 in the pictures. Can't say that I'll be working on it next weekend either. I should be able to get back to within the next couple weeks.

Okay, so I lied... rather than not having an update for a while, I decided to stay a little late at work and whip up a couple frame cross members and my water tank.

Tired for the obligatory close up of a weld, but the camera wasn't focusing all too well... :shake:

Looking good Ben! I recognize those wheels and tires on your blue MJ. :chillin:

Yeah... the wheels and tires that came with the truck had one odd ball on the front left that was probably the snowball that started my t-case chain stretching. These had less tread, but at least they all matched!

As for the camper, I'm away from it this weekend, but that doesn't mean I'm not searching for parts. Taking a road trip this afternoon for some more stuff. comanche.gif

No more information than Big day? :hmm: what have you gotten done?

YES!!! Update time!

From Friday into Saturday, I got the frame done. Again, everything is stainless from the springs up... even the shackles.

Needed a way for the water lines to pass through the frame:

Due to the fact that they were the only wheels and tires I had around that hold decent air, the frame got mocked up on 33s. Not sure what the springs are from, but they sat just about perfect without the topper:

Small step back because of my lack of planning on where the spring mounts had to hang. The tank needed an small notch... not a real big deal:

Still need to finish the lower shock mounts and tighten up the straps under the water tank:

Going home!

With the topper on, the 33s are a bit tight... just what I wanted to see! Should be just about right when it's sitting on 31s:

Windy as all get out today, so I didn't completely set it up. You get the idea though:

Next on the list is to finish up the fit up. The front gap needs to be taken care of and the side rails need some adapter angles made up because of the taper to the box sides. I'd love to really clean it up and add some paint here and there, but the weather just won't allow it. Still, plenty to do!

That's awesome! Are you going to find some tail lights for the box?

Yeah. I'll just pull some off the shelf when it comes time for wiring it. For how tight my garage is, I'd hate for something to happen. They can wait for now.

Ben, are you planning on putting leveling jacks or anything like that on it to level it out and keep it from bouncing around while you sleep in it? Or is that even an issue with the wildernest campers?

I'll have one on the tongue and two on the rear. Waiting on the front jack until I have the front figured on where everything will go. The rear couple will be a part of the bumper. Not entirely sure on the final design, but they'll slide in and pin like a reciever hitch on each corner.

As far as the bouncing around, not sure if that'll happen while sleeping. I'd imagine that things would be more unstable while moving around... like when entering or exiting... because you have to do that through the rear in one of these... on your hands and knees... WHAT ARE YOU THINKIN' ABOUT, FOLKS?!! :shake: