1986 2.5 Rough idle

Likely vacuum leak. Check intake to block bolt tightness, then look for bad hoses. There's one that forms a tight 90degree behind the throttle body on Renix TBI 2.5s. I replace it with a longer hose(like 6 inches compared to 2.5), and run it up in a loop, so the hose doesn't clamp closed in the tight bend that would be required to replace the original with a similar length of hose, and it lasts longer. The original is a molded rubber elbow, and its always gone bad on every one I've ever seen.

Ok, so you're pretty sure the manifold is sealed to the head. My 4banger TBI experience comes from owning my '89 YJ for 15 years, but it all applies to the XJ/MJ 2.5 TBI system.

The 4banger TBI has a Idle Speed Actuator, which externally alters the throttle blade position for idle, not an Idle Air Control valve like the 4.oL. The ISA motor serves as an output device and as a sensor for closed throttle position, and they wear out and can get corrosion inside on the closed throttle switch. Its the 4-wire Wrather-Pack connected device in front of the TB. Could try checking its connection or even replacing it. Be gentle with the idle adjustment bolt(which touches an arm that moves the throttle shaft) - you can damage the stepper motor by trying to adjust it if the bolt is bound or corroded.

Also have had o-rings on the fuel injector in the TB fail(forgot to mention this one, it was a problem a long time ago on my 2.5L TBI), causing rough/no idle condition. Be careful not to drop anything down the TB when pulling the injector, and get replacement o-rings before checking them - they usually discintigrate due to old age and Ethanol in our fuel. The injector is somewhat expensive, or at least it was back when I had issues around it.

If the hose to the MAP sensor on the firewall is old or leaks, the engine won't idle right, either.

Finally, if the EGR valve is stuck open, you would have trouble trying to idle. You should be able to move the diaphragm with your fingers reaching around and under the "UFO" shaped diaphragm. I have had a sticky EGR valve before. I could hear it squeak as the diaphragm moved while driving, a weird sort of chirping sound. It is controlled by a vacuum solenoid valve with a hose leading to it, one leading away from it, and a small plastic filter that allows it to purge vacuum to atmosphere when necessary. That tiny filter fitting can get clogged. Also have had the solenoid quit working, so I replaced it. All things EGR related for mine were long ago.

Gah, one other thing - make sure the brake booster isn't rusted underneath. A pinhole of rust can make for a large vacuum leak. You'd know if it was leaking, though, because all you'd have is manual brakes - little to no stopping power. If it is rusted/no good, consider the WJ or '95-up XJ dual-diaphragm booster/master cylinder upgrade/swap - its incredible how much it increases braking performance, and is the first upgrade I'd do to any older XJ/MJ I'll ever own.

• 4 years later...

just want to follow up on a 4 year old post..

both forum and Google search brings this post up so I figured it would be good to bring it full circle

my MJ is a hauler / utility truck so I don't log many hours in it any more..

its actually driven more by friends wanting to borrow a pickup than anything else..

pulled it into the garage this past weekend for some tune up work..

All I can say is the night before I did the service I decided to check all my manifold bolts..

they weren't loose, but they weren't tight..

so for the record.. the tightening of my manifold bolts fixed the erratic idle.. 30 min of "yoga wrenching" and my "issue" I have been putting off was miraculously solved..

moral of the story..

don't UNDEERESTIMATE THE POWER OF A VACCUM LEAK!!!

just want to follow up on a 4 year old post..

both forum and Google search brings this post up so I figured it would be good to bring it full circle

my MJ is a hauler / utility truck so I don't log many hours in it any more..

its actually driven more by friends wanting to borrow a pickup than anything else..

pulled it into the garage this past weekend for some tune up work..

All I can say is the night before I did the service I decided to check all my manifold bolts..

they weren't loose, but they weren't tight..

so for the record.. the tightening of my manifold bolts fixed the erratic idle.. 30 min of "yoga wrenching" and my "issue" I have been putting off was miraculously solved..

moral of the story..

don't UNDEERESTIMATE THE POWER OF A VACCUM LEAK!!!

Excellent!! Thanks for posting this up.