Deep in the heart of Comanche County

Thanks Guys,

I've already ordered the track bar reloction bracket and extended sway bar brackets from Down East Offroad. I was also missing the driver's side tie rod end jam nut so I ordered that too.

It should end up like step 12 in the directions here: http://www.downeastoffroad.com/HighSteerInstr.html

It looks like just a couple of flat 1/4" or 3/16" pieces of steel. I guess I could have found some flat stock locally but it was about 35 bucks plus shipping, no biggie. Plus I don't have to drive everywhere to find it.

Here's a shot from their webpage.

clip_image026.jpg

The track bar I have is the Rock Krawler Bomb Proof track bar. I like it, its super beefy. It may be too long to relocate above the axle, we'll see. I think I may have to shorten the frame side, threaded end about an inch or get a shorter track bar.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received the bracket to relocate the track bar. After several failed attempts to weld it, I finally got the metal sizzling and got it on. I was nervous at first because I'm not that great at welding but as I went on I could tell it going to stay,,,,its not coming off. Might not be the prettiest weld but it will work.

4847590875_9e21372218_z.jpg

Now I need to shorten my track bar about three inches.

Here's a shot of the NP241J with the flange mount removed and a 1310 yoke in its place. I thought the counter weight/balancer would stay on the output shaft but it came off with the flange. The yoke replaced it all and I lost about 1.5 inches. This put my drive shaft at max extension so I've got it dropped off at a machine shop to be extended.

4847590545_3dde1da63a_b.jpg

4848213538_9cc7e46e4a_b.jpg

You have a way better buld going on hands down :bowdown: I love your mj that is exzactly what mine looked like when i broght it home minus the lift and 4x4. :( so your in san antonio? I would love to wheel with you some time when i get mine road worthy..... i wish i had half of the goodies that you have for this buld....

You have a way better buld going on hands down :bowdown: I love your mj that is exzactly what mine looked like when i broght it home minus the lift and 4x4. :( so your in san antonio? I would love to wheel with you some time when i get mine road worthy..... i wish i had half of the goodies that you have for this buld....

Thanks man, I'm about 80 miles SW of Fort Worth. Sometimes I miss the good ole days of a stock truck that would get 20-22 mpg though.

Well this morning I got out early before it got too hot I got the sway bar links welded on as well as the missing jam nut from the driver's side TRE.

I mounted one of the sway bar links on the outboard side and one on the inboard side....I'm sure I'll bend these things into pretzels when I forget to pull the discos. They're mounted at slightly different heights and lengths relative to the axle because of the huge drag link and TREs, as well as the increased turning radius of the WJ/Down East knuckles. Also, my sway bar is a little twisted.

I am becoming more confident with my little Lincoln welder. :D Soon, I'll be an all-grown-up Jeeper. :cheers:

4850156969_63e01db490_b.jpg

4850157365_fa1f3b5a53_b.jpg

4850778158_1d2c6e0e2a_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

It touched 112 degrees today here in Comanche County, TX. I think I was the only fool working out in the heat all day.

It payed off though, I made good progress. I picked up the driveshafts and the track bar from the machine shop. I had the track bar shortened, but when I picked it up it was too short. So I took it back and had it extended.

Also, I had to lengthen the rear drive shaft and shorten the front. The rear yoke I got for the 241 was a 1310. I wish I would have got a 1330. So the rear is 1310x1310 and the front is a 1330x1330. I'm still running the original front drive shaft which is now has a front 1310/1330 conversion u-joint and a cv that has a 1310/1330 conversion u-joint at the transfer case. Later when I have a little bit of cash, I'll get a new 1330 rear output yoke for the Tcase and a 1330 yoke for the rear diff and a set of new "true 1330" driveshafts so both will be 1330s on both ends. Then I'll keep these for spares.

I also got the passenger side upper control arm in and and the rest of the exhaust. Now I just need to align the wheels, test out the suspension travel, and test/refurbish the brakes. I also still need to plumb the ARBs and set up the compressor.

Here's some shots of the almost finished product. I guess it will never be truly finished. I sold the Carr light bar that was on the cab. I don't miss the way it looked, but I like the extra light for offroad and on the highway at night. Especially around here where people hit deer or cows quite frequently. I'd like to get another set of KCs for the JCR bumper. I'll take any make really, I'm thinking a good quality rectangular set for a low profile, because its a little tough to see what's directly in front of the truck with the new lift.

4883668719_5547d27b84_b.jpg

4883669067_98cbf40b0a_b.jpg

The front suspension: I have to say that the Down East kit steers like a dream. I'm running 30 psi in the 35" Maxxis Creepy Crawlers and the steering wheel turns effortlessly. I'm pretty stoked about it, and...there's zero bump steer, it handles great so far. Once I get to wheel it, I'll give a better review of the set up.

4883669237_6db2541c81_b.jpg

4884272520_773a4b20b9_b.jpg

4883669623_6a5c49f528_b.jpg

...and the cool hat I picked up at the dealership... It matches the CC sticker! :banana:

4883669419_e99ea1fe65_b.jpg

I still need to do a lot to it but so far I'm happy with the new lift and axles. jamminz.gif

Yeah the tires are bias ply and they're loud. But they're really tough, especially the sidewalls and I can practically run them with no air pressure. They're a little squirmy on the highway but its not bad. I had a set of 33" radial Mickey Thompson Baja Claws that made the truck ride like a Bradley fighting vehicle and these are smooth and quiet compared to those.

IIRC I payed $900 for it. Its a Dynatrac HP44 that had chrome-moly shafts, 4.56 Yukon gears, and an ARB. It also came with the original invoice from Dynatrac. I thought that was a good deal. Now I'm not so sure because the ARB was broken :headpop: so I bought a new one for it, I also went with a new gear set. In the end, I payed 900 for a bolt in HP44 housing and the chrome shafts...not such a great deal. But still a lot cheaper than a new Dynatrac 44. I probably should have gone to full width axles at the beginning. I'm starting to think about my next MJ, I like the idea of "tons" with 37s-39s and minimal or no lift and a lot of fender trimming. Sorta like an MJ (cheaper) version of that Mopar underground Wrangler with 40's and no lift.

I've really sort of stumbled on everything I've put on the truck. I bought stuff for it as I found it if I thought it was worth it. But in retrospect I'll be more patient on the next one and build it with a clear set of goals. Only thing I'm scared of breaking on this one is the 1310 u-joints yokes on the rear driveshaft. With the ARB up front I think I could disengage it when required and save the front. Of course there's a part of me that wants to upgrade to 37's anyway.