aw4 slipping

Ok the first 2 times it did this I was Like no way was that a slip but today I am now sure. Its doing it in the lower gears just for a few seconds going at normal acceleration. I know nothing about trannys is this a falure in the making or is there anything I can do. And no I did not change the fluid yet and it is full.

I did some searching and am leaning twoards the TPS I did not know this could cause my problem but from what I found it sure can. It has been idiling pretty bad lately also and thats caused by a bad TPS. SO its off to dealer to see if they have one several sites said to get a jeep one.

Any insight for the guy who checked his TPS and played with the kickdown cable for hours?

:hmm:

You did say you were going to sell it........didn't you :roll:

Even thought the AW4 is a great reliable tranny........yes, Virgina, they do die :(

Any insight for the guy who checked his TPS and played with the kickdown cable for hours?

As Wildman pointed out, you hit on the nose. You told it you were going to sell it.

Have you changed the fluid?

Fluid is new.. Exactly like you guys said, I was going to sell it then boom another problem. I had a buyer lined up for close to what I have into it... Guess I gotta Just Empty Every Pocket AGAIN.. Anyone need a great parts truck??

So.........the 'ole girl is telling you something :hmm:

Now you need to fix it and keep it :yes:

Otherwise..........picking up a used AW4 is not a hugh deal, getting one re-build is.

If you can find the right deal, you could increase the value of the MJ for the sale also :D Newer, lower mileage tranny installed.

What you don't want to do, is sell it in the condition that it in, as a smooth running, no problems at all, for top buck, and then have some guy named 'Bruno' come knocking on your door with a baseball bat, in the middle of the night :eek:

Depending on how much you want for it, and if I buy a house next Friday or not, I might be interested :eek: even though I don't need three jeeps...

You can pick up used aw-4s for cheap, I got mine for 75 bucks in perfect condition and a friend of mine picked up two for $20 a while ago.

Never had an auto yet that didn't bite the dust once it showed signs of "slippage". Changing fluid at the slippage stage is waste of good fluid that you could have dumped in the replacement tranny. Some times an additive (like Lucas) will help for awhile. Slippage is not an electrical problem in the AW4. The electric solenoids are either working or not working to select the gear. Slippage is worn parts usually.

Tranny slipping and shifting points off are two different things.

deziped is correct that it could be an electrical problem, if it's not shifting correctly.

Here's a over all check for the AW4 TCU's electrical/solenoids -

http://www.transonline.com/transdigest/ ... index.html

JTDesign had this problem couple years ago, and traced it down to one bad solenoid, he replaced that and it solved his problem.

You need to drop the pan to get to the solenoids, 3 if I remember right, and I think Napa carries them........about $20 each :hmm:

Once you drop the pan, you'll also get a good look at the guts to see if you have other problems.........like 5 pounds of shavings, brown (burnt) fluid.

If new solenoids are 2 expensive go to a JY with a digital multimeter in hand. You can find good (OHM's in spec) solonoids in AW4 equipped MJ's by following the procedures outlined at the site Wildman referenced above. That way you know if their good before you drop the tranny pan. But if you don't mind getting your hands dirty pull a few & take them home for a trial & error method.

Spec on the solenoids is 11-15 ohms. You can also salvage them from any AW-4 equipped XJ in the yard, which should greatly increase the availability of parts donors...

As for the TV/kickdown cable, it's OEM part number 5207 7578, will cost you $27 brand spankin' new from mopardiscountparts.com. I normally wouldn't pay 27 bucks for a cable, but factor in the fact that I'd have to haul my 70lb hydro jack into the junkyard and take a bath in transmission fluid while lying in mud, dirt, and gravel, to get a used part for 10 bucks when I could get a new one for 27, and I'll go for the new one.

Spec on the solenoids is 11-15 ohms. You can also salvage them from any AW-4 equipped XJ in the yard, which should greatly increase the availability of parts donors...

As for the TV/kickdown cable, it's OEM part number 5207 7578, will cost you $27 brand spankin' new from mopardiscountparts.com. I normally wouldn't pay 27 bucks for a cable, but factor in the fact that I'd have to haul my 70lb hydro jack into the junkyard and take a bath in transmission fluid while lying in mud, dirt, and gravel, to get a used part for 10 bucks when I could get a new one for 27, and I'll go for the new one.

:agree:

But.......if you mis-read me, I was scrapping the AW4's and out of the trucks, and on the floor, pulling the solenoids, and the cable is right there, 2x's I've been asked for TV cables, and just so happen to have them ;) Also saving a un-dented pan, with the dip stick still attached is not a bad idea also :brows:

:agree:

But.......if you mis-read me, I was scrapping the AW4's and out of the trucks, and on the floor, pulling the solenoids, and the cable is right there, 2x's I've been asked for TV cables, and just so happen to have them ;) Also saving a un-dented pan, with the dip stick still attached is not a bad idea also :brows:

Good plan. I need to remember to do that to my 2x4 AW-4 before I junk it... I broke the stupid little plastic clip that connects to the throttle lever on the new transmission for my XJ! Only realized that when prepping it for install, luckily I hadn't dropped the old one out yet. Could pull the one off the old trans in the XJ but I intend to rebuild it and want to keep it together enough that I can drop it in easily.