camper shel\topper fitment

I've found this helpful in the past.

Image Not Found

Yeah me to. :rotf: :rotf: unfortunately I'm not buying new. I'm talking craigs list and that sort of route. People don't usually list the dimensions they just tell you what its on and that way I don't have to ask 10 people to measure their bed I can just find one i like on a similar box. Thanks for the advice though.

The REAL answer is do some homework.

Measure the bed dimensions(maybe someone will be kind enough to post up some measurements so you won't have to).

Then, measure or otherwise determine the size of the camper shell.

Then match up the measurements.

Even Leer, BesTop or any of the manufacturers don't necessarily have a camper shell laying around specifically for an 88 Jeep MJ.

They'd ask you to measure it!

Measure the bed dimensions(maybe someone will be kind enough to post up some measurements so you won't have to).

Even Leer, BesTop or any of the manufacturers don't necessarily have a camper shell laying around specifically for an 88 Jeep MJ.

Wouldnt this be considered part of doing my homework? I'm asking for someone with more knowledge than myself to give me some sound advice. Is that cheating? I have measured the box. Like I said I'm not looking to buy new, therefor I won't be calling any manufactures. I fully comprehend that they don't have a shell specifically for an 88 MJ . Since i don't have or know anyone with a mazda,s10,dakota,ect ect. i can't just go measure their dimensions to match them up. Thanks for all your great advice.

The REAL answer has been posted here, somewhere. One of the early members of NAXJA named Matthew ___, NAXJA screen name ComancheGuy IIRC, has been a member here. "Back in the day" his father sold truck/camper caps. The authoritative answer was that the best fit is the early Chevy S10 caps. Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact range of years he gave, but probably the range that was contemporary with when the MJs were being built.

The REAL answer has been posted here, somewhere. One of the early members of NAXJA named Matthew ___, NAXJA screen name ComancheGuy IIRC, has been a member here. "Back in the day" his father sold truck/camper caps. The authoritative answer was that the best fit is the early Chevy S10 caps. Unfortunately, I don't remember the exact range of years he gave, but probably the range that was contemporary with when the MJs were being built.

thank you.

82-93 :thumbsup:

Wouldnt this be considered part of doing my homework? I'm asking for someone with more knowledge than myself to give me some sound advice. Is that cheating? I have measured the box. Like I said I'm not looking to buy new, therefor I won't be calling any manufactures. I fully comprehend that they don't have a shell specifically for an 88 MJ . Since i don't have or know anyone with a mazda,s10,dakota,ect ect. i can't just go measure their dimensions to match them up. Thanks for all your great advice.

I guess I should clarify my reply since some folks seemed to take offense to it. I was not directing my reply to the OP, nor was I just coming back with a "smart a$$" reply. I simply think it is impractical to expect that you can just find a perfect fit by a model number and/or year without utilizing the tape measure (as in, measure twice or four times, cut once)

If it were me I would be unhappy with a camper shell that didn't fit within "perfect" parameters. Those parameters (or misfit thereto) would include even a 1/4" of over or under fit on either side, back of the gate, over the front and above or below cab height. There is also the angle of the cab to shell to consider. aluminum shells are different than fiberglass/plastic shells. Older models are different than the newer ones (cause the trucks whether they're Chevys, Fords, Dodges or even Jeeps are different.). I see alot of shells on all kinds of trucks that some look like a perfect fit, some look good or at least OK and some look garage sale "whatever" fitment (i.e. not square, latches don't fit or even work, above or below cab height etc.) Everyone has there "that'll work" zone.

If I was spending a couple three hundred bucks (even $50) on a part of my rig I would want it to fit, look, seal up, and ride just like part of the rig itself. Otherwise it's just a hack job. I would also want the tailgate end to fit so that the locks would work and so there were no air or water leaks. I would also insist that it matched up with the rear window.

Sorry if that was not understood. :cheers:

No shell is going to fit perfectly except the factory Leer or Brahma shell. Below are the dimensions of the LWB MJ and the 93 and below S10. The SWB will be the same except shorter of course. If you can't find one Comanche specific, the S10 is the closest. I had an S10 camper shell on mine a few years ago, and researched them pretty well. It fit the bed perfectly, but was a couple of inches lower than the cab rooline, and angled in a bit more than the MJ's cab lines. The dimensions are close but not the same. It looked good, but not like a factory shell.

(maybe someone will be kind enough to post up some measurements so you won't have to).

]They'd ask you to measure it![/b]

I guess I should clarify my reply since some folks seemed to take offense to it. I was not directing my reply to the OP, nor was I just coming back with a "smart a$$" reply.

Had me fooled. No offense taken.I get a kick out of it. I'm kinda new here but I wasnt born yesterday. Measure the box? ........no s@!#. I agree with you but your delivery is horrible. Put it to to you this way. For example if a dodge dakota short box is 3 inches longer than a comanches box and I see an add on craigs list or where ever for a camper shell on a dakota Ill probably blow past it cause itll be long. Now, on the other hand if I come across a camper shell on a S10 short box knowing that the box is of similar dimensions Ill probably stop and look. If I like it then Ill ask the owner to get me some measurements then match them up to my box dimensions and go from there. :thumbsup:

Just got back from a trip to WallyWorld. Bet there were maybe 30-40 P/U's there with toppers on them. If I were looking for a cover to fit my orphan truck I believe it would be worth a trip and a hour's worth of my time to go to a local parking lot with a tape measure and just go thru the place measuring everything even looked close. Find something, see what it's mounted on. Might get some funny looks but but what the heck. Give it a try.

No shell is going to fit perfectly except the factory Leer or Brahma shell. Below are the dimensions of the LWB MJ and the 93 and below S10. The SWB will be the same except shorter of course. If you can't find one Comanche specific, the S10 is the closest. I had an S10 camper shell on mine a few years ago, and researched them pretty well. It fit the bed perfectly, but was a couple of inches lower than the cab rooline, and angled in a bit more than the MJ's cab lines. The dimensions are close but not the same. It looked good, but not like a factory shell.

Are the S-10 dimensions listed on that picture the outer dimensions of the bed? I assume so but just want to be sure.

Thanks.

Just got back from a trip to WallyWorld. Bet there were maybe 30-40 P/U's there with toppers on them. If I were looking for a cover to fit my orphan truck I believe it would be worth a trip and a hour's worth of my time to go to a local parking lot with a tape measure and just go thru the place measuring everything even looked close. Find something, see what it's mounted on. Might get some funny looks but but what the heck. Give it a try.

You know Ive been seriously thinking about but gotta wait wait till tomorrow when I have a day off.

Check around and see if any topper shops nearby are offering deals. The place here just quoted me a price of $450 for a new corrugated aluminum shell, $550 for smooth - that was lined, 3-piece front slider, full-length tinted slider side windows, available in either black, gray, red, or white. They take all the measurements off the truck and cut/assemble it there at the shop - so cab angle/height and fit are guaranteed to match.

Just another option to consider. I know a lot of guys don't like the aluminum shells, but for me they're fine - so I'm thinking about going this route. Seems like whenever I find a used topper in decent shape, people are asking $200-$300 anyways. So IMO the extra price looks worth it to get the good fit, and to avoid the time/hassles of going through the classifieds.

This has really turned out to be an informative thread, sorry about starting all that mess. It was probably in good humor, but I was really looking for answers too. I didn't think any place made to fit, that's cool.

Here's a thought, if you find a Comanche with a shell running around hunt them down to ask them if they would't mind selling it. It's worth a shot, and if not maybe they will know if someone is selling one!

Thanks for all the replies and information.

Wait a minute...wasn't that my original smart a$$ reply. :huh???:

:D :D