Factory Door Hinge repair plates

IRT the plates mentioned in a post a couple of weeks ago that were a fix for hinges that would come loose from the pillar (sorry, didn't save the link but did save the PDF file) I checked with a dealership and they said about 2500 of the first ones for hinges barely pulled loose are still in the main warehouse. I'm gonna see if that dealership wants to sell them for less than list price (almost $50) in order to make some extra bucks. I would assume (?) dealer cost would be about $25. If I can get them to sell them for cost + 10%. There would be shipping, of course, maybe drop shipment from factory. Anyone interested? Or, if any of you work for a Jeep dealership, can you talk your parts manager into doing a cost +10% deal? I am considering getting two and installing just to be safe down the road.

IRT the plates mentioned in a post a couple of weeks ago that were a fix for hinges that would come loose from the pillar (sorry, didn't save the link but did save the PDF file) I checked with a dealership and they said about 2500 of the first ones for hinges barely pulled loose are still in the main warehouse. I'm gonna see if that dealership wants to sell them for less than list price (almost $50) in order to make some extra bucks. I would assume (?) dealer cost would be about $25. If I can get them to sell them for cost + 10%. There would be shipping, of course, maybe drop shipment from factory. Anyone interested? Or, if any of you work for a Jeep dealership, can you talk your parts manager into doing a cost +10% deal? I am considering getting two and installing just to be safe down the road.

If the parts are in the warehouse, they will not sell them to you for cost plus 10. Its the national warehouse, not something that belongs to that dealer. If they had them in stock at that dealer, and they had been sitting on the shelf for three years, then maybe they would, but I don't see them letting you for the warehouse ones. The warehouse ones don't count in the dealers inventory and therefore the dealer does not need to make any concessions on them to get rid of them.

Check the drivers door hinge repair on "Megan Joy", The top hinge was pretty much toast, the bottom I repaired because it was weak, the door was off and it needed done anyway.

IMHO, I wouldn't buy a "factory" repair part, I think that by putting a backer in the top A-pillar is a cheap easy fix with very little money output, my cost, steel was free, few bucks for bolts, and my time. Took me about a day because I like to be meticulous when I work.

Suggest you replace all Torks fasteners (including the accessible fender ones) with regular metric bolts, makes for super easy door alignment .

PS: This is an easier fix than its made out to be.

jamminz.gif

If the parts are in the warehouse, they will not sell them to you for cost plus 10. Its the national warehouse, not something that belongs to that dealer. If they had them in stock at that dealer, and they had been sitting on the shelf for three years, then maybe they would, but I don't see them letting you for the warehouse ones. The warehouse ones don't count in the dealers inventory and therefore the dealer does not need to make any concessions on them to get rid of them.

Maybe didn't 'splain well. Sorry 'bout that. Of course the dealer would order the part from the warehouse, get it in, and add 10% to what it cost them (dealer cost) and sell it to the customer for that price. Didn't know if the warehouse could drop ship to customer instead of having to ship to dealer. Probably not.

Probably the way it would be done to save special order freight cost is when the order is received from a customer, it would be shipped with regular stock order. When I worked at a Ford Parts Dept, we did a lot of that for customer parts.

But, as with "Megan Joy," a back plate is a less expensive and less "permanent" fix.

Maybe didn't 'splain well. Sorry 'bout that. Of course the dealer would order the part from the warehouse, get it in, and add 10% to what it cost them (dealer cost) and sell it to the customer for that price. Didn't know if the warehouse could drop ship to customer instead of having to ship to dealer. Probably not.

Probably the way it would be done to save special order freight cost is when the order is received from a customer, it would be shipped with regular stock order. When I worked at a Ford Parts Dept, we did a lot of that for customer parts.

But, as with "Megan Joy," a back plate is a less expensive and less "permanent" fix.

Did the dealer say they would sell it at cost plus 10, because I bet you they won't, even if it is a part they have a butload of at the warehouse. I'm a Chrysler dealer tech, and know what youre talking about, but unless youre an employee or someone who has this type of deal set up already, I don't think they will do that for you. I'm not tying to be an azz, just saying I don't think youll get it at that price.

And cost plus 10 is normal employee price at my dealer.... I don't think youll get it.

Talked with the parts manager at the dealership. He says they are housed at an independent warehouse and there would be shipping because they could not order them in on the regular stock order to save shipping costs to the dealership. He seemed interested in the cost plus 10% if they could be brought in on a stock order but already ordered for a customer that has already paid up front because it would mean more income for the business. As it is, there would be shipping charges from the warehouse to the dealership.

Back to MeganJoys plan!!!! :brows:

Just curious, do you have a pic or drawing of the dealers repair part? I know I seen one somewhere.....

I think the way the factory welded a door hinge to sheetmetal was just poor engineering. Putting a backer in the A-pillar, I wouldn't hesitate to hang on the door like kids sometimes do, actually if I did, I think I would bend the door before I ever tweaked the A-pillar especially if I hung all my weight on it (200+ lbs). BTW that really stresses a door a lot.........imagine that pic :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

The X/MJ door has a sliding hinge inside the door. There is about a half inch of adjustment up and down. You can also move the front of the door out and in with this.

To get it to move away or closer to the mount you either add or remove the shims between the hinge and the door.

The "factory" fix is move of a bandaid to fix hinges that are just starting to crack and sag. Once they get so far you either have to weld a backer plate in or use Wrenchmonkey's fix. I choose to use the later.

Doh! :doh: says a Simpson like lunkhead! Forgot about those on the door!!! My hinges are still welded fine, but want to keep them from coming loose ever. Don't want to take them off but make them more secure. Haven't looked, but can you get behind the pillar with hinges on, add a plate and put a couple of bolts through hinge and plate in order to better secure them to the pillar?

I don't think so, I'm pretty sure you can't. If you could, you'd have to be a pretty good fisher. My best advice, don't let anybody hang on them. Another thing learned while being a shop mechanic, doors get screwed up when they are left open for whatever reason. When I pushed a crew, my rule was "never leave the doors open on any company vehicle, ever."

jamminz.gif