Stock Mystery Radio (help)

OK, I once owned an MJ that had (what I thought was) an aftermarket 2-piece stereo put in.

I should've taken pics of it, but it was a stacked stereo/Equalizer, with the EQ mounted where the air vent (under the heater) is.

I pulled that stereo out way back then (1998), and haven't done much with it since.

So today, I'm looking for some Jeep stuff, and I dig out the old radio.

I never did find a brand name on it (figured it was some no-name thing),

but today I really look at the back of the Eq:

That SURE LOOKS LIKE A FACTORY PLUG TO ME.

89' factory radio I just pulled out of the 'new' MJ above mystery radio:

NOW I'm really confused :dunno:

Best I can figure, the radio must be a factory setup for some other Chrysler Product, and the previous owner hooked it up.

I have more pics to post, if anyone wants closeups of the decals, or whatever,

but any idea what kind of Chrysler product used a 2-piece stereo like this (before 1998)

Never seen that one... I would like more pics just for reference...

Rob L.

I took pics of the decals:

another pic of the backs:

and pics of the 89' Jeep AM/FM only stickers for reference:

:dunno:

The CD player was a rare option for 95 and below XJs (as far as I know they were not on MJs). They also had a "pull out" unit for them. I have all the part numbers etc. for these and tried unsuccessfully to find back in 07.

Here's the DC part numbers, none are available anymore from the dealer.

82300394, Mopar/Jeep, AM/FM CD Radio, 280.00

82300393, Mopar/Jeep, AM/FM CD Radio, 280.00

82300392, Mopar/Jeep, AM/FM CD Radio (pull-out), 280.00

Hmmm..

Searching the part numbers was a good idea,

I didn't get any hits for the cassette unit (8936001571),

but I did get a hit for the EQ (8936001570):

Looks like it's an AMC part, not Chrysler:

http://www.analogalley.com/manual_1.htm

American Motors AMC 8936002700, 8936001571 Amplifier Equalizer service

But I'm thinking the wiring harness used by this radio is Chrysler Style, not AMC :dunno:

What year MJ did these things come out of?

It was in an 88' (Shortbed Pioneer).

I'm 100% sure it was swapped in by a previous owner,

I'm just surprised to (finally) figure out it's actually as stock radio for 'something'.

The only thing I could find on those numbers were for AMC Matador and Javelin, late '80's

Thanks for looking them up for me Jim. :cheers:

It seems strange that it would come back as an AMC part, since I've always considered that kind of plug in connector to be a Chrysler thing. :dunno:

The thing you got to remember is during that time span the little car companys were using a lot of the big boys parts. Trying to hold on for another year before going under or being bought out. Two options come to mind. Either AMC used Chrysler components or a previous owner changed the wiring to match the radio. Also I believe I have a identical radio that matches the radio, cassette player only mine is AM-FM only, no tape. Have to go out in the shop and look. As I recall it came out a Javelin, Removed the entire instrument cluster because it had all those guages and installed it in a '42 Willys PU I was hot rodding.

The thing you got to remember is during that time span the little car companys were using a lot of the big boys parts. Trying to hold on for another year before going under or being bought out. Two options come to mind. Either AMC used Chrysler components or a previous owner changed the wiring to match the radio. Also I believe I have a identical radio that matches the radio, cassette player only mine is AM-FM only, no tape. Have to go out in the shop and look. As I recall it came out a Javelin, Removed the entire instrument cluster because it had all those guages and installed it in a '42 Willys PU I was hot rodding.

Good point.

I have a pretty decent looking AMC labeled stereo Cassette here as well (tho completely different from the other two I posted),

but it's connections are hard wired, instead of having (what I usually consider) a Mopar style plug in harness,

BTW, there is no way in the world you can mention having a 42 Willys (and a PickUp version at that!!!), and NOT post pictures. :yes:

I would like to see the AMC gauges in it (didn't you say in another thread that it was AMC powered as well?),

but I would love to :drool: over any & all pics of it you can dig up. :bowdown:

:cheers:

whooBoy. Now what? I had a thing for '42 PU'S winding up with 3 Willys, 2 Hudsons, a Nash, Studebaker, 2 Diamond T's and a International. Now I'm going to have to start digging. When the wife died between storage, selling, giving away, throwing away I don't know where anything is anymore. Know I didn't throw any car pics out. Had a 65 GTO 389 with the 3 pack and a Cummins turbo in it. I've got a couple hunnert pics and a cupple home 8mm movies of it. Now just gotta find the stuff.

whooBoy. Now what? I had a thing for '42 PU'S winding up with 3 Willys, 2 Hudsons, a Nash, Studebaker, 2 Diamond T's and a International. Now I'm going to have to start digging. When the wife died between storage, selling, giving away, throwing away I don't know where anything is anymore. Know I didn't throw any car pics out. Had a 65 GTO 389 with the 3 pack and a Cummins turbo in it. I've got a couple hunnert pics and a cupple home 8mm movies of it. Now just gotta find the stuff.

I would like to see the Diamond T's and the international... :brows:

Rob L.

I have the same stereo (Just bought from Wildman). It actually says jeep on the cassette door. I have an antenna lead socket where your graphic equalizer plug is. I see the antenna socket is on the graphic equalizer. I was able to buy a new connector for the back of the radio. I think the place I got the connector listed the connector as Chrysler/Jeep radio connector.

Mac...

Nevermind Jim,

if you happen to come across anything, I'd like to see it, but I don't want you to dig through a lifetime of stuff to get to it.

(sounds like it happened a while ago Jim, but sorry to hear about your wife :( )

I have the same stereo (Just bought from Wildman). It actually says jeep on the cassette door. I have an antenna lead socket where your graphic equalizer plug is. I see the antenna socket is on the graphic equalizer. I was able to buy a new connector for the back of the radio. I think the place I got the connector listed the connector as Chrysler/Jeep radio connector.

Mac...

Thanks.

It makes sense that they'd also make a 'non-equalizer' version of this same radio.

If you get a chance, would you mind snapping a pic of it?

Thanks.

It makes sense that they'd also make a 'non-equalizer' version of this same radio.

If you get a chance, would you mind snapping a pic of it?

:agree: X2.

I've looked over every nook and cranny of the internet to find out more on this radio/equalizer and found zip. As far as I know, the pic in this post is the only one in existence. :D

:cheers:

If you know any Radio,TV repair shops been around awhile make friends with the owner. Then ask him to check his old Sam's Photo Facts. You'll find pics, schematic, tuning, repair info there. Might even find it on line.

Forget finding it on line. I just tried. Only goes back to 2000.

• 5 years later...
  • 9 months later...