Dakota 40/20/40 seat brackets

Does anyone have any pics of their brackets for these seats. I have my old seat out, got the brackets off and bolted back onto the floor. Got the new 2001 Dakota 40/20/40 seat inside the truck and that's all the more i got done.

Thanks

Tom

:agree:

How close to the door do the seats end up?

Are you trying to retain the MJ brackets with the Dakota seat, or use the Dakota brackets.

I haven't tried this, but I'd probably leave just enough of the Dakota's brackets so it would sit low & level in the MJ cab

(assuming the Dakota cab is taller), then weld some flat mounting feet to whatever is left of the Dakota brackets.

Post up pics of the brackets too. :yes:

Thanks mnkyboy, I knew it has been done before. They look great in your truck!

Your pic of the fab work was kind of blurry. Do you think you could post some more pics? Or even better post the dimensions of the steel stock and locations to mount on the floorboard etc.?

I'm guessing that the original dakota brackets were not even close to being able to work? The 1990 ford van seat brackets were off of a conversion van, or OEM ford brackets? Thanks! jamminz.gif

I didnt take any pics while i was building them so the pics i have all suck. I may be able to get better ones.

IIRC its 1" Square for the risers and 1/4 plate for the tabs,basicaly scrap i had laying around.

i pretty much mocked up the seats in the truck and made what was need to bolt them in,the floor in an MJ is a pain to work with so every mount is different.

each rear corner has its own mount and the front is a "T" with one center riser.I got the seats with no rails so thats why i used the Ford conversion van ones,they are a generic rail not Ford specific

The front looks to be pretty easy.

Image Not Found

The rear brackets are going to take some work.

The seat is setting down on the hump with alittle help from a BFH.

Kind of snug getting in, but feels comfy when your seating at the helm.

As far as the lever on the side, it's alittle tight but i can deal with it.

So, that's where i'm at for now. Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Tom

Maybe it's just the angle of the pics, but it looks like the seat needs to sit awfully high get above the hump in the middle.

I was going to suggest adding a brace on the floor, like the 97+ XJ's have, but I don't think you could get that mount anywhere near it.

Also, does this seat have seat mounted seat belts (like the late model XJ's).

(If yes) are you going to be able to abandon them, and run the factory belts up through holes in the seats, or try to reuse the Dakota factory belts?

Just curious, looks like a decent seat if you can make it work.

Thanks for posting the pics. :cheers:

Trying to figure something out for the back.

As fas as the seat being higher, it's 2-2 1/2" higher than the stock bench. I'm trying to reuse the stock seatbelts but havn't given it much thought on how to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

In my quest to find a good Dakota bench, rummaging through all the various local salvage yards, I've found out some info that might be of interest for those who would like to do this swap:

- It appears that the 2005+ Dakota benches use the exact same bracket system. The 05+ seats are much better contoured (side boltering etc) and have a very nice tough fabric. Adjustable headrests too. Overall dimensions appear to be the same as well. The center storage armrest arrangement is the same, down to the coin holders.

- Some 97-04 Dak seats came with a drivers manual lumbar adjustment (not sure on '05+).

- Some 97-04 Dak seats do not have the flip out cupholders in the front center of the seat (not sure on '05+, the one I saw did not have it).

- Some 97-04 Dak Crew Cabs came with a bench, however the seat backs do not fold forward on these, and no pop out cupholders.

I am going to pick up a 07 Dak bench tomorrow. I will post pics when I get everything together. :brows:

• 7 years later...

Yesterday, I decided to see if I could find a seat.  Went to a local salvage yard, first one.  I asked about '97 to '04 Dakota's, and they pointed out the window at a white Dakota and told me it is going to be crushed next Tuesday. Walked out, looked inside.  Absolutely immaculate 40/20/40 seat.  Dark gray, matches my interior.  Not a rip, tear, stain or wear spot.  $80, and I'll be pulling it out on Sunday. Still working on suspension, so it gets put away for a couple of months until I can work up some mounts.

This has been a good week anyway.  Completely rebuilt the front suspension with 3" lift. I mean really rebuilt.  Everything but ball joints, which were in good shape.  Local spring shop was going to build new rear leaf springs, but I remembered a past project, '55 Ford Pick-up on '84 Wagoneer (Frame dimensions are identical).  Wanted stock '55 Ford ride height and wasn't sure what I needed.  Bought a set of 3" springs (for $75) at a swap meet, which eventually weren't needed for the '55.  Dug through some stuff and found the rear springs, with the labels still on them. Bolting them in this Sunday. 

Both the Dakota Seats and the Wagoneer springs were tricks I learned on this forum. Great bunch of people with Great ideas! Thanks to everyone.

I get messages all the time about mine,of everything that's done to my truck the Dakota seats get the most questions.

The issue with mine is that my truck had Chevy car seats that were attached to wood blocks and screwed to the floor,I didnt have any MJ rails and the Dakota seats didn't come to me with rails either, i made brackets from scratch and used generic rails from a conversion van.

Because of that i can't really do a good write up since my install is different than someone that had the rails,i usually send people here.

I go back and forth on Dakota seats or XJ/WJ buckets. If I end up doing the Dakota seat swap, I plan on trying to do a comprehensive writeup. But who knows how long that will be down the road with all the projects I have planned.

And yes I know WJ will require fab work and I have MJ bucket brackets already for the XJ seat swap

I get messages all the time about mine,of everything that's done to my truck the Dakota seats get the most questions.

The issue with mine is that my truck had Chevy car seats that were attached to wood blocks and screwed to the floor,I didnt have any MJ rails and the Dakota seats didn't come to me with rails either, i made brackets from scratch and used generic rails from a conversion van.

Because of that i can't really do a good write up since my install is different than someone that had the rails,i usually send people here.

shouldn't matter.  most guys aren't looking for a direct how-to but rather the inspiration and end results. :D