26 replies to this topic

#1 88SporTruck

88SporTruck

Comanche Fan

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationMiddlesex County, CT

Posted 19 January 2010 - 11:34 PM

Today I went to change the oil on my new to me 88. The first surprise was that the exhaust pipe was mashed into the drain plug requiring me to remove the whole damn exhaust system. ( it needed to go due to rust anyways). The second surprise was some whack @$$ drain plug that has a loop in it you stick a screwdriver through to loosen it and it has a T shaped piece on it that prevents it from coming fully out of the oil pan causing oil to spew like a fountain because it hits the dangling plug when draining. Also Napa gave me the wrong filter! It had an old Fram ph3387A filter on it and the one they gave me was 2x the size as what was on there and had threads so big they wouldnt even contact the threaded stud on the filter adapter, but their computer said it was correct for my year and engine. The ph3387A also fits my 3.1L Grand Am, It seems odd that a GM oil filter would fit an AMC engine........Oh and who decided to make the damn valve cover out of plastic?!?! If I ever meet that engineer I'm gonna kick him in the nuts.

So....has anyone run into a drain plug like this? Can it be easily removed and replaced with a normal one because i freakin hate the fact that it won't come fully out and it makes a otherwise normal oil change into a huge messy spray of dirty oil.

#2 jpdocdave

jpdocdave

MJ Junkie

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  • Locationchicagoland

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:32 AM

i've seen some really whack drain plugs. places like jiffy lube will use them when they ruin a drain pan. some can be removed, but 99% of the time the oil pan is beyond repair, and some will never come out.

i did see one someone installed that is removeable, and had a valve built in so you could just turn it to drain the oil. it leaked and the oil poored all stupid as well on it also.
87 yj frame off build
90 yj soa, snorkel, d44 lock right
pics of project "crazy red head" http://photobucket.com/yj_build_pics

#3 shelbyluvv

shelbyluvv

• Moderators
  • 2,411 posts
  • LocationAlbany, Georgia

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:24 AM

Take that new Fram filter and throw it as far away from the Jeep as you can. There is a history of Fram filters causing low oil pressure and knocking at idle. Get a Wix or something else.

COMANCHE =,oooo
________l_,\____\,__
l__/---\__ll__l/---\[]lllllll[]
__(o)_)____(o)_)--o-)_)_

Project Black Betty 5.2 magnum powered MJ coming up!!!
(It's on! Stay Tuned!)

Project Onyx 97 Comanche
(Back in my loving hands!)

#4 1986Comanche

1986Comanche

Comanche Aficionado

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • LocationStoneboro, PA

Posted 20 January 2010 - 02:35 PM

Today I went to change the oil on my new to me 88. The first surprise was that the exhaust pipe was mashed into the drain plug requiring me to remove the whole damn exhaust system. ( it needed to go due to rust anyways). The second surprise was some whack @$$ drain plug that has a loop in it you stick a screwdriver through to loosen it and it has a T shaped piece on it that prevents it from coming fully out of the oil pan causing oil to spew like a fountain because it hits the dangling plug when draining. Also Napa gave me the wrong filter! It had an old Fram ph3387A filter on it and the one they gave me was 2x the size as what was on there and had threads so big they wouldnt even contact the threaded stud on the filter adapter, but their computer said it was correct for my year and engine. The ph3387A also fits my 3.1L Grand Am, It seems odd that a GM oil filter would fit an AMC engine........Oh and who decided to make the damn valve cover out of plastic?!?! If I ever meet that engineer I'm gonna kick him in the nuts.

So....has anyone run into a drain plug like this? Can it be easily removed and replaced with a normal one because i freakin hate the fact that it won't come fully out and it makes a otherwise normal oil change into a huge messy spray of dirty oil.

The PH3387A is not the correct filter for your truck. Don't use it. I looked up the filters for your 1988 Jeep Comanche 2.5L. The correct Fram filter is: PH3985. Stay away from Fram, they are junk. Get a different filter like shelbyluvv said. The Wix 51626 and Napa FIL 1626 are the correct filters also.
1986 Jeep Comanche 4x2, 2.5L I-4 TBI, 4 Speed

Easy to be a truck. Hard to be a Jeep.

#5 CWLONGSHOT

CWLONGSHOT

MJ Maniac

• Members
  • 4,016 posts
  • LocationCentral Connecticut

Posted 20 January 2010 - 05:09 PM

A WIX filter is the best filter you can buy. As said avalible at NAPA stores.

CW
'99 TJ • 4.0 • 5 spd • HP-D30 W/AUSSIE & 8.8 W/ECTED • 4:10's • http://cave76.org/fo... ... cwlongshot

'89 MJ • 4.0 • AW4 • D44 W/DETROIT • HP-D30 • 4:56's • viewtopic.php?t=1230

My Jeep trailer: http://www.comanchec... ... =3&t=17030

#6 BJA814

BJA814

Comanche Aficionado

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • LocationSouth Coast Mass

Posted 20 January 2010 - 08:58 PM

For everyone freaking about the owner using a Fram, I believe he says the truck is new to him, and last I knew, NAPA did not sell Fram filters.

And WIX is the best :thumbsup:
1988 4.0l former 2wd, AW4, NP231, 6.5" 36" tsl etc.

#7 Darren

Darren

MJ Junkie

• Members
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 20 January 2010 - 09:41 PM

I prefer Mobile 1/K&N oil filters.
- Darren -

Yep, another "LOOK AT ME" post from immature, insecure and disturbed Darren of the NW.

RED DRAGONS!!: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33378&p=329757#p329757
Mistress Moneypit: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9854

#8 1986Comanche

1986Comanche

Comanche Aficionado

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • LocationStoneboro, PA

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:07 PM

CW

A Mobil 1 filter is the best filter you can buy as far as quality and filtering capability is concerned.

#9 mvusse

mvusse

Obsessive Comanche Disorder

• Members
  • 6,301 posts
  • LocationStrasburg, OH

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:13 PM

CW

A Mobil 1 filter is the best filter you can buy as far as quality and filtering capability is concerned.

You have evidence to back this up?

In my OPINION, based on available information regarding countless cut-open and tested filters, the premium Purolater Pur-One filters are the best, so that's what I use.
87 Comanche Pioneer 4.0 4x4 auto, Wilbur. 6.5" lift, Aussie lockers, Jawz JP Customs winch bumper, XRC10 winch and 35x12.50 Maxxis Mudders. Lots of cutting, lots of rust(holes), lots of dents.
87 Comanche 2.5 4x4 5 speed, The Purple People Eater, stock daily driver.
96 Cherokee Sport 4.0HO, Sparkles. mild lift, 32s, 2wd converted to Selec-Trac. Built for my daughter.

#10 Darren

Darren

MJ Junkie

• Members
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationBoise, Idaho

Posted 20 January 2010 - 10:39 PM

This guy basically says the Mobil-1 filter is the best, but "not worth the price".

http://www.knizefami... ... nions.html

I run the Mobil-1 Filter. It's not very expensive.
- Darren -

Yep, another "LOOK AT ME" post from immature, insecure and disturbed Darren of the NW.

RED DRAGONS!!: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33378&p=329757#p329757
Mistress Moneypit: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9854

#11 mvusse

mvusse

• Members
  • 6,301 posts
  • LocationStrasburg, OH

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:00 PM

From that page, regarding the Mobil 1:

This filter is made by Champion Labs using what I call their "performance" design instead of the "Ecore". It uses a synthetic fiber element that can filter out very small particles and has a high holding capacity. It is rated by the manufacturer at just under the Purolator Pure One as far as filtering capability, but is still very much above conventional paper filters. It also has a very strong construction to withstand high pressure

So According to the manufacturer the Pur-One has a better filtering capability.
87 Comanche Pioneer 4.0 4x4 auto, Wilbur. 6.5" lift, Aussie lockers, Jawz JP Customs winch bumper, XRC10 winch and 35x12.50 Maxxis Mudders. Lots of cutting, lots of rust(holes), lots of dents.
87 Comanche 2.5 4x4 5 speed, The Purple People Eater, stock daily driver.
96 Cherokee Sport 4.0HO, Sparkles. mild lift, 32s, 2wd converted to Selec-Trac. Built for my daughter.

#12 1986Comanche

1986Comanche

Comanche Aficionado

• Members
  • 242 posts
  • LocationStoneboro, PA

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:07 PM

From that page, regarding the Mobil 1:

This filter is made by Champion Labs using what I call their "performance" design instead of the "Ecore". It uses a synthetic fiber element that can filter out very small particles and has a high holding capacity. It is rated by the manufacturer at just under the Purolator Pure One as far as filtering capability, but is still very much above conventional paper filters. It also has a very strong construction to withstand high pressure

So According to the manufacturer the Pur-One has a better filtering capability.

Take a look at this article too:

http://www.corolland...il-filters.html

Here is what this person said in this article.

If I had to pick 5 out of the 10 as being the best, I would pick the Purolator PureOne, K&N, Toyota, Wix, and Purolator PremiumPlus as this group. Their prices start at $3.49 and go up to $9.94. Probably only the Mobil 1 filter is superior to the filters in this group

#13 88SporTruck

88SporTruck

Comanche Fan

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:41 AM

The 1626 DOES NOT fit. Not even remotely close.It is twice the diameter of the fram I pulled off. Currently I'm running a wix on it not the fram anymore. Is it possible that the oil filter adapter was changed? It looked like part of the block casting and not removable.

Hell nothing on this truck surprises me anymore.....Today I found what looks like a piece of brake line with a quick connect fitting on it sticking out the side of the transmission (AX4) The clutch works great and it shifts just fine so I don't have a clue what it might be.

I'm going to be tear into it some more tomorrow and ill get some pics and the model number of the filter that I found that fits. Also the threads on the oil pan look fine. I'm not sure why someone stuck this jacked up drain plug in there....

#14 Geonovast

Geonovast

Can NOT spell Comanche

• Members
  • 7,087 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, MO

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:43 AM

The 2.5 does not have an oil filter adapter.

The part you saw sticking out of your transmission bellhousing is the bleeder for your internal slave cylinder.

-Correy

99 XJ, 4.0 HO/AW-4/NP 231, D30/8.25 - Parked The MJs formally known as mine.

88 MJ, 2.5 TBI/AX-4, D35 - DD                             CC on Facebook!
Think of the children; Lock your CAD today!  Having trouble posting pictures?
Do I have an AX-15 or BA 10/5? What's my factory axle ratio? Common Jargon definitions.

#15 jimoshel

jimoshel

• Members
  • 6,300 posts
  • LocationPueblo, Colorado

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:02 AM

I remember when they used canister oil filters and used sanitary napkins because they were cheaper and did a better job of filtering. Truck stops carried them and you would see big, burly, hairy assed truckers buying sanitary napkins by the carton. And believe me, no matter how bad you may have wanted to, ya DIDN'T laff.

DD '90 MJ, 4.0, AX15, 2WD

DWH '77 J20

Some people
try to turn back their odometers.
Not me!
I want people to know why
I look this way.
I've traveled a long way
and some of the roads weren't paved..

#16 Automan2164

Automan2164

• Administrators
  • 7,229 posts
  • LocationHarvard, IL

Posted 21 January 2010 - 01:05 AM

Personally, I always use a Mopar filter on my ZJ, and will on the MJ.

Rob L. :dunno:
The Fleet
'86 MJ 2.1L 4x4 MT LWB - Diesel Fuel Only - MY COMANCHE HAS A BOOST GAUGE!
'87 MJ 4.0L 4x2 AT LWB - The Farmer
'97 XJ 4.0L 4x4 AT Country Gone Country
'98 ZJ 4.0L 4x4 AT Limited - U.A.V. Urban Assault Vehicle
Register your Comanche!!! CLICK ME!!!!

Posted Image

#17 88SporTruck

88SporTruck

Comanche Fan

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 05:23 PM

I had a feeling that the tube on the tranny was some kind of bleeder. Thanks for confirming it!

After the oil change and valve cover gasket I removed and scrubbed out the throttle body as it was absoloutely caked with black deposits. Now she fires right on the first or second crank and idles like a champ!

Now its on to the exhaust. The system on there now is possibly the worst piece of ghetto rigging I have ever seen. A few of the welds on the joints are over 1" thick gobs! Luckily the cat looks like it was recently replaced and was only tacked on so I can reuse that and the downpipe but everything else looks like swiss cheese and has to be replaced.

Now if only NAPA will get it together and stop giving me the wrong parts (oil filter and exhaust donut gasket) Maybe I can have the truck ready for paint by spring!

#18 1tonMJ

1tonMJ

Comanche Aficionado

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • LocationAthens, TN

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:08 PM

If I may,
:hijack:
Does anyone know the exact size of a stock drain plug for the engine oil? None of my sockets fit right, it loks stripped. I just want to be sure.

88SporTruck, you can have the thread back when my question gets answered. :chillin:

Commodities Reclamation Engineer

88' MJ, OD green, 4.0, AX-15, NP231, Dana 30/35 4wd converted, Zone 4.5" lift kit, 

Future: 35"s, Dana 44 swap, a radio, front and rear bumpers, love to find a rollbar

#19 Harper

Harper

Comanche Fan

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 02:57 PM

Mine is a 14mm head, and in my experience, nobody makes an oversize in that particular metric thread. I'm going to have to buy a new oil pan someday, because of the one and only time I let some jiffylube jerk crossthread it.
Mike

'90 Comanche Pioneer, 195K, 4.0, Metric Ton, 4x4, AW4, remoted oil filter, added tranny oil cooler & temp gauge, otherwise stock, leak free, rust free, needs paint. Original owner....

#20 1tonMJ

1tonMJ

Comanche Aficionado

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • LocationAthens, TN

Posted 16 April 2010 - 03:09 PM

Ok, thanks. 14mm. 88SporTruck, you can have the thread back. :cheers:

Commodities Reclamation Engineer

88' MJ, OD green, 4.0, AX-15, NP231, Dana 30/35 4wd converted, Zone 4.5" lift kit, 

Future: 35"s, Dana 44 swap, a radio, front and rear bumpers, love to find a rollbar