Swapping to 97+ Doors, Here's the wiring

I picked up a set of 99 doors with power windows locks mirrors and heated mirrors. I am going to be swapping them onto my 88 MJ with manual doors right now.

I spent a few hours in the garage with the FSM and figured out the wiring. You have to create a relay circuit that reverses polarity. I will sketch up what I did and post it later, but here is the wiring. I'll made it a nicer schematic later, but for now, here's the connections.

In order to get it to work properly, I had to cut the pink/black and orange/black wires on the passenger door that ran from the lock motor to the passenger switch. Its pin 1 and 5 in the large connector. If you don't cut these two wires, it will pop a fuse every time the door lock is tried.

And for the relay, here is the pin out, I'll make a diagram when I get time.

Any other wires in the doors were not used. The drivers door has extra wires for the rear door windows. And the passenger door has extra wires for the remote keyless entry (RKE) module that I did not use.

I found the pin out of the connectors from JP's website, they did a very lacking write up on the swap.

MODERN DOOR SWAP

Driver (left) 8-way

Cavity Circuit Gauge Color Description

1 P71 20 YL Left power mirror (up)

2 P76 20 OR/YL Left power mirror (down/right)

3 M1 18 PK Fused ignition b (+)

4 P74 20 DB Right power mirror (right)

5 Z1 12 BK Ground

6 P75 20 DB/WT Left power mirror (right)

7 P72 20 YL/BK Right power mirror (up)

8 O1 14 YL Master switch window lock out

Driver (left) door

1 Q28 14 DB/WT Master switch to right rear motor (down)

2 Q18 14 GY/BK Master switch to right rear motor (up)

3 Q16 14 BR/WT Master switch to right front window motor (up)

4 Q17 14 DB/VT Master switch to left rear motor (up)

5 Q11 16 LB Master switch to left front motor (up)

6 Q26 14 VT/WT Master switch to right front motor (down)

7 P35 18 OR/VT Master switch to power door lock relay

8 Z1 12 BK Ground

9 F81 12 TN Master switch to power feed (switched positive)

10 Q27 14 RD/BK Master switch to left rear motor (down)

11 P36 18 PK/VT Master switch to power door unlock relay

12 Q21 16 WT Master switch left front motor

Passenger (right) 8-way

1 P59 20 LB/RD Remote keyless entry lock control

2 P55 20 DB Remote keyless entry unlock control

3 P35 20 OR/VT Power door lock relay

4 F81 12 TN Power window switch feed (switched positive)

5 F35 16 RD Power door lock relay feed

6 Z1 12 BK Ground

7 P36 18 PK/VT Power door unlock relay

8 G26 20 LB Door ajar key in

Passenger (right) door

1 P34 16 PK/BK Power door lock (unlock)

2 Q22 16 VT Right front power window motor (down)

3 Q26 14 VT/WT Master switch right front window motor (down)

4 Q16 14 BR/WT Master switch right front window motor (up)

5 P33 18 OR/BK Power door lock (lock)

9 Q12 16 BR Right front power window motor (up)

10 Q1 14 YL Master switch window lock out

PM JohnnyC and ask him if he can help you. I know he has done it to his. There was a write up in JP about it too. You can see a pic of Johnny's best side in it, lol!

Thanks Bo for noticing my best side. ;)

As I replied to Blue XJ's PM, we never did get the power door locks to work right. That was a long day at Trasborg's house and it was dark. And were tired and hungry.

Pete later figured out that we needed to add some relays to make the door locks work. I can unlock the doors with either switch, but I can't lock them.

We still haven't gotten around to fixing that yet. Maybe it's time to harrass Pete about it. :D

Well, I looked at it while at work today and I think I found out how to wire yup the relay circuit so the door locks work. And I think I can use the same circuit for the windows, it switches the polarity coming out of the relays to reverse the motors. I think I need to put a couple diodes in the circuit and I should be able to hook both door switches to the same circuit for the locks without backing everything.

I'm going to try it this weekend. If it works, I'll do a full write up with a wiring diagram and pictures. :cheers:

PM JohnnyC and ask him if he can help you. I know he has done it to his. There was a write up in JP about it too. You can see a pic of Johnny's best side in it, lol!

Thanks Bo for noticing my best side. ;)

As I replied to Blue XJ's PM, we never did get the power door locks to work right. That was a long day at Trasborg's house and it was dark. And were tired and hungry.

Pete later figured out that we needed to add some relays to make the door locks work. I can unlock the doors with either switch, but I can't lock them.

We still haven't gotten around to fixing that yet. Maybe it's time to harrass Pete about it. :D

I didn't get my PL's working yet either.

I'm trying to do everything with just an 8-wire harness tho,

I pulled out the (01') XJ harness in one piece, and didn't want to cut the door harness out of that, so I'm using an aftermarket (8-wire harness) connector.

I went out and played with it tonight. The windows are working properly and I got 1 door to lock, but now it won't unlock or re-lock. My relay harness works perfect, energize one relay it provides +12v, energize the other relay is provides -12v. I just need to get it working with the stock door switch and I'll be all set. I thought I had it wired how the FSM showed, but I guess it was wrong since it didn't work. I'll give it another go tomorrow. Its close if I got one door to lock, I'm just missing something simple I think.

I went out and played with it tonight. The windows are working properly and I got 1 door to lock, but now it won't unlock or re-lock. My relay harness works perfect, energize one relay it provides +12v, energize the other relay is provides -12v. I just need to get it working with the stock door switch and I'll be all set. I thought I had it wired how the FSM showed, but I guess it was wrong since it didn't work. I'll give it another go tomorrow. Its close if I got one door to lock, I'm just missing something simple I think.

Ain't it fun? :D I too just did the windows and didn't bother with the locks. Figured if I was too lazy to reach across and lock the door, I'd better give it up. But it's the same circuit and you are on the right track; + and - 12V to the window motor, + and - 12V to the lock solenoids. The factory schematic is hard to follow; for me it's easier to build it on the bench and smoke test everything first. If the drivers side is fine and the problem is the lock on the passenger's side, you need an additional parallel cross-body feed wire from the trigger wire of your lock relay coil to the passenger side lock solenoid.

Well, I got the door locks to work tonight. Its actually pretty simple once you realize what the door switch circuit does. Its actually a ground switch instead of a power switch.

I plan on making a wiring schematic for it this weekend and posting it here. I'm going to try and get the mirrors wired up as well.

Well, I got the door locks to work tonight. Its actually pretty simple once you realize what the door switch circuit does. Its actually a ground switch instead of a power switch.

I plan on making a wiring schematic for it this weekend and posting it here. I'm going to try and get the mirrors wired up as well.

:bowdown: I have 00 XJ doors that are going on in the spring. Your write-up will be mucho appreciated.

Yee haw, my turn! For as much as I want the '97+ doors, I don't want to be running around with mis-matched paint while I wait for a paint job, so for now I am just going to put the '97+ interrior door panels onto my '87 doors that have '94 electrical in them (still with me? :rotf: ) At least your writeup will help me in my attempts, thanks! I hate electrical :fs1: But, I did score some nice door panels at p-n-p with drivers door switches from a 2-door, and I got all the door wiring out of the '99 to work with :banana: Thanks again! Let the fun begin...

-James

• 6 years later...

Sorry to bring up an old thread....

I found some 97+ sport doors with manual windows and locks, but with power mirrors. My 87 didn't come with power mirrors. 

Anyone have a wiring diagram that shows how to wire power mirrors from scratch?

Thanks!

• 11 months later...
8 hours ago, EUREKA said:

Can you repost the image that showed the relay wiring, please?

I have a set of doors from a 2000 XJ (power everything) that I want to put on my 91 MJ.

Thanks

Use the add-on for whatever browser you are using, that is described and linked in this thread.  It will then show the pictures above. 

• 3 weeks later...