Street Comanche

Not much is really known about them. Back in the days of the yahoo group, there were 1 or 2 of them in the mix with us. From what I understand, they were modified by the dealer, and produced in a limited number. I think it was 100 of them made. Plated on the dash with a production number. I have a picture of no. 24 in my spotters guide on my old site...

http://www.comanchemj.1hwy.com

Rob L.

I'd love to find one.

Not much from google other then some info from a guy that owns one:

WHEN I was 17, I stumbled across a "streetcomanche" completely destroyed in a junkyard. I knew I had to have one, sure enough 6 months later, I found one in Sacramento for $1500 bux. STOKED. That became not only my pride and joy, but it was the one included in all those awesome high school memories. It was a Red streetcomanche #54 of 100. For those of you who don’t know, the "streetcomanche" was a dealer promotion item in California. Archer Brothers Racing made a body kit for the trucks, and all trucks were equipped the same…Red on Black, 2wd base model with the 4.0 inline six and a 5-spd peugot trans. Over the years this truck assumed many different looks, I have purchased and sold it many times and I still own it today.

LOL, HEY, I was the guy that wrote that!!! Yep, I am the owner of what was #54 of 100. LONG story behind this truck...now its the one I am converting to 4x4 HO. Like I say, long story.

As stated in that quote, all the "streetcomanche" trucks were a dealer promotion item in the state of California. It had NOTHING to do with Jeep Coorperation, rather just a promotion to create a little sport truck with the new 4.0 inline 6. All the trucks were 1987 MJ shortbeds, 4.0 liter, 2wd, 5-spd, Red ext with Black int. They were all otherwise base models. From the info I could gather, the VIN's were not in sequence. They all were given a body kit by Archer Brothers racing and a dash plaque to indicate truck number. Point in case, the body kit was the only thing that made the truck "special" I had contacted Archer Brothers many years ago and they said they still had body kit pieces for that build stashed in their warehouse. I contacted Jeep, and they had NO clues about the street comanche. Its unfortunate that it was never an actual Jeep model, recorded in the VINs because then they would have been worth something, but as it stood they were an aftermarket modded truck re-named and worthless to most. I had been in regular contact with the owner of #24 for awhile, we found another, I think it was #66 and I saw the one in the junkyard. Good luck on your search for one, espeially in good shape, most likely the body kit will have been aged, cracked thrashed and destroyed like mine was.

James

I just corresponded with Greg last month regarding an MJ-specific header and some Lund sun visors he had. He still has some MJ fiberglass body parts in his warehouse - says he will probably put them up on Ebay when he gets the time.

I just corresponded with Greg last month regarding an MJ-specific header and some Lund sun visors he had. He still has some MJ fiberglass body parts in his warehouse - says he will probably put them up on Ebay when he gets the time.

How about asking him if he'd be interested in working with the CC to offer them here, so our members get first shot? We're the people most likely to be preserving Comanche history (some of us, anyway), so I think it makes sense.

I did tell him about the CC and how interested we would be in anything MJ he had. That was over a month ago. Last thing he said was he'll check what's in the warehouse when time permits and get back. I'll shoot him another email.........

I emailed Archer Bros. for any background info they could provide. I asked if the VIN's were recorded somehow. I also asked if they had any of the body kits left.

edit:

Pics of #24:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

LOL, HEY, I was the guy that wrote that!!! Yep, I am the owner of what was #54 of 100. LONG story behind this truck...now its the one I am converting to 4x4 HO. Like I say, long story.

As stated in that quote, all the "streetcomanche" trucks were a dealer promotion item in the state of California. It had NOTHING to do with Jeep Coorperation, rather just a promotion to create a little sport truck with the new 4.0 inline 6. All the trucks were 1987 MJ shortbeds, 4.0 liter, 2wd, 5-spd, Red ext with Black int. They were all otherwise base models. From the info I could gather, the VIN's were not in sequence. They all were given a body kit by Archer Brothers racing and a dash plaque to indicate truck number. Point in case, the body kit was the only thing that made the truck "special" I had contacted Archer Brothers many years ago and they said they still had body kit pieces for that build stashed in their warehouse. I contacted Jeep, and they had NO clues about the street comanche. Its unfortunate that it was never an actual Jeep model, recorded in the VINs because then they would have been worth something, but as it stood they were an aftermarket modded truck re-named and worthless to most. I had been in regular contact with the owner of #24 for awhile, we found another, I think it was #66 and I saw the one in the junkyard. Good luck on your search for one, espeially in good shape, most likely the body kit will have been aged, cracked thrashed and destroyed like mine was.

James

My sister bought #48 of 100 in Napa, California.. Had tan interior though. Very nice truck! 

• 2 years later...