11 replies to this topic

#1 IrnGynt

IrnGynt

Jeeper

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationManassas VA

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:15 PM

Anyone here own one or have info on them? Not much out there that I can find other then that they are rarer then hen's teeth.

#2 Automan2164

Automan2164

• Administrators
  • 7,172 posts
  • LocationHarvard, IL

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:25 PM

Not much is really known about them. Back in the days of the yahoo group, there were 1 or 2 of them in the mix with us. From what I understand, they were modified by the dealer, and produced in a limited number. I think it was 100 of them made. Plated on the dash with a production number. I have a picture of no. 24 in my spotters guide on my old site...

http://www.comanchemj.1hwy.com

Rob L.
The Fleet
'86 MJ 2.1L 4x4 MT LWB - Diesel Fuel Only - MY COMANCHE HAS A BOOST GAUGE!
'87 MJ 4.0L 4x2 AT LWB - The Farmer
'97 XJ 4.0L 4x4 AT Country Gone Country
'98 ZJ 4.0L 4x4 AT Limited - U.A.V. Urban Assault Vehicle
Register your Comanche!!! CLICK ME!!!!

Posted Image

#3 IrnGynt

IrnGynt

Jeeper

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationManassas VA

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:46 AM

I'd love to find one.

Not much from google other then some info from a guy that owns one:

WHEN I was 17, I stumbled across a "streetcomanche" completely destroyed in a junkyard. I knew I had to have one, sure enough 6 months later, I found one in Sacramento for $1500 bux. STOKED. That became not only my pride and joy, but it was the one included in all those awesome high school memories. It was a Red streetcomanche #54 of 100. For those of you who don’t know, the "streetcomanche" was a dealer promotion item in California. Archer Brothers Racing made a body kit for the trucks, and all trucks were equipped the same…Red on Black, 2wd base model with the 4.0 inline six and a 5-spd peugot trans. Over the years this truck assumed many different looks, I have purchased and sold it many times and I still own it today.

#4 CRF136N

CRF136N

Comanche Aficionado

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:59 PM

LOL, HEY, I was the guy that wrote that!!! Yep, I am the owner of what was #54 of 100. LONG story behind this truck...now its the one I am converting to 4x4 HO. Like I say, long story.

As stated in that quote, all the "streetcomanche" trucks were a dealer promotion item in the state of California. It had NOTHING to do with Jeep Coorperation, rather just a promotion to create a little sport truck with the new 4.0 inline 6. All the trucks were 1987 MJ shortbeds, 4.0 liter, 2wd, 5-spd, Red ext with Black int. They were all otherwise base models. From the info I could gather, the VIN's were not in sequence. They all were given a body kit by Archer Brothers racing and a dash plaque to indicate truck number. Point in case, the body kit was the only thing that made the truck "special" I had contacted Archer Brothers many years ago and they said they still had body kit pieces for that build stashed in their warehouse. I contacted Jeep, and they had NO clues about the street comanche. Its unfortunate that it was never an actual Jeep model, recorded in the VINs because then they would have been worth something, but as it stood they were an aftermarket modded truck re-named and worthless to most. I had been in regular contact with the owner of #24 for awhile, we found another, I think it was #66 and I saw the one in the junkyard. Good luck on your search for one, espeially in good shape, most likely the body kit will have been aged, cracked thrashed and destroyed like mine was.

James

#5 hornbrod

hornbrod

• Moderators
  • 11,462 posts
  • LocationSweet Home North Alabama

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:07 PM

I just corresponded with Greg last month regarding an MJ-specific header and some Lund sun visors he had. He still has some MJ fiberglass body parts in his warehouse - says he will probably put them up on Ebay when he gets the time.

-Don  ooo ___ọọọ_
.___
____,\_____\,__
NOT RENIX‒-‒-[]llllll[]
 ͞  /o﴿_﴿ ̄ ̄ ̄/o﴿_﴿---﴿_﴿

1991 JeepLogo2.jpg Comanche LWB, AW4, HESCO 4.6L Stroker, 4.10 D44 Trac-Lok,
2.5" lift, Power everything, Ford Explorer rear disk brakes, starseed_zps6deb0e15.gifCHROME FREAKstarseed_zps6deb0e15.gif ..

#6 Eagle

Eagle

• Moderators
  • 9,324 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:41 PM

I just corresponded with Greg last month regarding an MJ-specific header and some Lund sun visors he had. He still has some MJ fiberglass body parts in his warehouse - says he will probably put them up on Ebay when he gets the time.

How about asking him if he'd be interested in working with the CC to offer them here, so our members get first shot? We're the people most likely to be preserving Comanche history (some of us, anyway), so I think it makes sense.
Eagle
-------
Self-appointed President for Life of the International MJ Preservation Society

#7 hornbrod

hornbrod

• Moderators
  • 11,462 posts
  • LocationSweet Home North Alabama

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:54 PM

I did tell him about the CC and how interested we would be in anything MJ he had. That was over a month ago. Last thing he said was he'll check what's in the warehouse when time permits and get back. I'll shoot him another email.........

-Don  ooo ___ọọọ_
.___
____,\_____\,__
NOT RENIX‒-‒-[]llllll[]
 ͞  /o﴿_﴿ ̄ ̄ ̄/o﴿_﴿---﴿_﴿

1991 JeepLogo2.jpg Comanche LWB, AW4, HESCO 4.6L Stroker, 4.10 D44 Trac-Lok,
2.5" lift, Power everything, Ford Explorer rear disk brakes, starseed_zps6deb0e15.gifCHROME FREAKstarseed_zps6deb0e15.gif ..

#8 IrnGynt

IrnGynt

Jeeper

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationManassas VA

Posted 26 July 2009 - 09:22 PM

@James

Thanks for the post. Happen to have any pictures of the dash plate with the build number on it? Do you still have the body kit?

#9 IrnGynt

IrnGynt

Jeeper

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • LocationManassas VA

Posted 27 July 2009 - 01:04 PM

I emailed Archer Bros. for any background info they could provide. I asked if the VIN's were recorded somehow. I also asked if they had any of the body kits left.

edit:

Pics of #24:

#10 manche75

manche75

Comanche Fan

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationEaton Rapids, Michigan

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:31 PM

thats a sharp truck
1990 XJ 2dr 4.0l, 4wd, AT.-Sold $800
1988 MJ SWB SporTruck, 2.5l 4-spd, 2wd, not a single option, not even a clock!!-RIP
1989 MJ SWB, ELIMINATOR, 4.0l H.O., 2wd, AT, Blackout, Bought for $900-My Baby-My baby's for sale-$900
1993 XJ 2dr 4.0l, AT. Amazingly clean.
1970 Ford Ranchero 351c, mild build on motor, custom. -My real baby

#11 whowey

whowey

MJ Junkie

• Members
  • 1,602 posts
  • LocationWay out in the Illinois Boonies

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:22 PM

A Hurst shifter???? on a Puke-Out???

Or was it the regular shifter and a Hurst knob...
88 LWB,Metric Tonne, 4.0l,Puke-goat. 4wd

Posted Image

#12 Automan2164

Automan2164

• Administrators
  • 7,172 posts
  • LocationHarvard, IL

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:23 PM

Found a whole mess of Street MJ pics in the Yahoo group folders...

http://groups.yahoo.... ... 0/pic/list

Rob L. :thumbsup:
The Fleet
'86 MJ 2.1L 4x4 MT LWB - Diesel Fuel Only - MY COMANCHE HAS A BOOST GAUGE!
'87 MJ 4.0L 4x2 AT LWB - The Farmer
'97 XJ 4.0L 4x4 AT Country Gone Country
'98 ZJ 4.0L 4x4 AT Limited - U.A.V. Urban Assault Vehicle
Register your Comanche!!! CLICK ME!!!!

Posted Image