Factory fog light switch wiring schematic

I have a factory fog light switch from an early-90's XJ. I want to use it to control aftermarket fog lights in my 88 MJ.

Does anoyone have the wire codes for the 4 wires in the pigtail that comes to/from the switch?

I suck at the internet...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showpost ... ostcount=1

Image Not Found

I have a factory fog light switch from an early-90's XJ. I want to use it to control aftermarket fog lights in my 88 MJ.

Does anoyone have the wire codes for the 4 wires in the pigtail that comes to/from the switch?

Shoot me a PM with an email address and can send you a wiring diagram with which you can use your existing factory wiring from the switch to the forward bulkhead connector. All you have to do is add a relay and wite to the lights from it.

Shoot me a PM with an email address and can send you a wiring diagram with which you can use your existing factory wiring from the switch to the forward bulkhead connector. All you have to do is add a relay and wite to the lights from it.

Thanks!

Hey Don,, do you know if all the wiring is there from the bulkhead to the connector under the airbox? I have the switch wiring for the switch in the dash (on my 96) and got a headlight harness that had the relay and fog light connectors in it. I tried to chase wires with my meter but couldnt find any matching.. Just wondering.. I was hoping like most things on these Jeeps if I could luck out and have it plug 'n' play...

The wiring is there from the dash switch cavity to the 10-pin connector up near the front bulkhead. If you didn't have factory fogs, the wiring ends at that connector. But at least you can use that part. :D

10 pin connector, up near the front bulkhead = under the air box right, under the egr solenoid right?? Just want to make sure.. :D

The factory fog light switch doesn't have power to it. It's used to apply a switch a ground to trigger the fog light relay. I'll send you the wiring diagram then it'll be as clear as mud. :D Think I still have your addy somewhere......

It also goes through the headlight switch. Fog lights will only work if head lights are on.

Yes, this is how the factory wiring is, fogs only on low beam. But I'm talking about utilizing the existing fog light switch wiring in the harness present in all MJs/XJs to add fogs, instead of doing it from scratch. That's because I'm basically a lazy bastid. It's surprising how much unused wiring is present in the existing wiring harness that can be used for various options and accessories that have not been factory installed. Might as well use it.

Not all harnesses are wired for fog lights. My original harness was, but my truck had fog lights. The replacement header panel off a 91(?) XJ did not have the wiring, so I kept the remains of my old harness. It was badly damaged by the deer that hit the truck before I bought it. My 94 XJ also does not have the fog light wiring in the harness.

The wiring I'm referring is from the fog light switch (or driving light) connector tucked up behind to dash bezel out to the engine compartment only. Never seen an XJ or MJ that did not have this. Saves running yet another wire thru the firewall..........

No mail yet... but it is my sn then add the number 1 @ yahoooo dot com

Would there not be 12 volt + going for the indicator light?? I didnt have any power at the switch connector.. Lights on, high, and low.

I put a 91 XJ w/ fogs harness in the 96's header panel.. The connector was the same. Well it fit, and all my lights (head, blinker, ect..) work, but not the fogs. Relay is good. I need to dig in deeper... I was thinking there was a lead that clipped into the fuse box some'a'wheres.. Shoot me that wire diagram and I'll see what goes where on my XJ.

:thumbsup:

Crap JT, didn't even look before I sent. Yes, I used the dash switch to apply a 12V trigger to the relay, not a ground. And no, that is NOT how it's wired from the factory; the 12V signal to the foglight switch goes thru the headlamp dimmer switch first to prevent the foglights from being ON when you have the headlamp high beams on. I chose to wire it like that so I control when the foglights are on.

And yes, I'm aware this is illegal in some states, and I don't care. :D