MJ#757 ..it's an 87...no, it's a 95, no, it's a...97+?

picked this up on friday, a friend of mine owns a junkyard and picked it up for me...it's originally from colorado.

1987 shortbed MJ

Aw4

2wd

dana 44 rear, 3.55 gears and either a locker, or some form of limited slip in the rear. has some form of helper springs as well

it's got;

air conditioner

cruise control

tilt column, column shift

bench seat (blue interior)

almost no rust on it, and what is there isn't barely surface rust. this truck is nice enough, that it will stay here.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

i got it running today...some electrical issues, and it sat for the past 5 years. it needs full fluid flush, and a tune-up. runs choppy, but i'm sure the motor is fine.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then i yanked most of the interior. it had rats in it (i caught the last one in the right cab corner... :roll: so i needed to get the smell out. found this...

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

the floors are almost immaculate...the rust you see is actually pooled in the low points and is not rust but water. it's really nice actually.

planning to go to 4wd with stock 3.55 gears, and 4.5" of lift with 31" tires. this will also keep some form of bench seat (or combination to allow for 3 people), also will get full gauges and i'm keeping the column shift.

nice truck for being in a junk yard does it run?

i'm friends with the owner of the yard...he found it, and bought it only for the fact that i'd want it.

it has a "junk" motor. :roll:

that just means that the people who couldn't get it running, were complete yahoo's.

so yes, i got it running. now i need to troubleshoot the reasons why it isn't running correctly.

:cheers:

cleaned it out a bit more, installed a center pane in the rear window (had a spare), removed the topper, and got it running a bit better

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

here it is next to my brother's latest acquisition...he picked up an 89 4 cylinder 4 speed 2wd for $150

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

So what size ball does the tow bar use? Wait I have both sizes,

I'll be over later to pick up your rat infested MJ do to safety/health concerns.

Hopefully you'll get it back if it can be made hazard free. If not I might be forced to detox it and recreate it as a '89

I'll be over later to pick up your rat infested MJ do to safety/health concerns.

Hopefully you'll get it back if it can be made hazard free. If not I might be forced to detox it and recreate it as a '89

i wish death upon anyone who touches my MJ

Due to the risk involved I can't touch it, I have to wear gloves so they will do the touching... ;)

Due to the risk involved I can't touch it, I have to wear gloves so they will do the touching... ;)

i wish death upon anyone (but me) who actively engages in any sort of activity regarding my comanche, without my express permission.

So if I snatched it up and lifted it,made it 4wd Overhaulin style that wouldn't be ok?

You know that would be the only reason I would take it.

Just help me on my rig and I'll do the same for you.

She would get over it.

Wait until she walks into the garage when I cut the cab in half... Thats how she is going to find out my plan.... When its too late...

I didn't tell her about my ticket either...

• 2 weeks later...

update;

cleaned it today (finally) with the pressure washer. also removed the stupid factory tow mirrors...gotta figure out what to do about the holes in the door from those.

in pressure washing it, i've discovered that there are WAY MORE chips in the front clip, fenders, and hood, than i'd previously thought. now, i'm not gonna go sanding everything down, so i figure it's the perfect time for a 97+conversion :D

also installed the drop-in bedliner i had laying around, and sadly i accidently blasted part of the tailgate JEEP decal off so i just took them all off :(

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

pics with my bro's second mj, the new white one, 3800 and beaterjeep's 4.0 donor (90xj) in the backround.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

steve (bro) put a set of TJ military decals on it

Image Not Found

tomorrow night i'll futz with the engine a bit more. atm it looks like it's either a CPS issue, or not enough fuel pressure. i haven't had time to get underneath it yet really so i haven't messed with that. i've already replaced the TB and MAP's not once but twice (spares) so it's not that, plugs and wires are new as well.

little more work today. still haven't messed with the CPS but 99% sure that's the problem.

but, put in a full gauge cluster from a 90 cherokee and that works. need to hook up oil pressure and temp senders

Image Not Found

also went and picked up an 85 4 cyl 5 speed xj wagoneer today with my bro with 21 slot grille. took it straight to the scrap yard, had them yank the axles and drivetrain and gave the rest in trade towards this mj.

Image Not Found

so now it's got a 21 slot grille :D

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

trim on this truck will be black windshield trim, chrome drip rail trim, black door handles, not decided on black or chrome mirrors yet but i have both, chrome 21 slot front end with chrome headlight bezels and bumper. the bottom 5" of the body will be rhino lined black.

found 5 mice in a mouse nest in the driver's door... :eek: :roll: and tossed them in the chicken coop...chickens love mice.

finished gutting the interior...just have to take the main dash out and re-remove the seat. it's getting a tan interior (light tan not the ugly butterscotch crap).

also took the front clip off, and i picked up the title for it from the friend i got it from. it's a salvage title :cry: :headpop:

not that i can't drive it that way, but the front left corner has been "repaired" :mad:

person who did the work, doesn't know how to do body work. so, the left header support/radiator support needs to be completely removed and replaced. the header panel itself is junk as far as i'm concerned.

more work. still doesn't even run right as i haven't been able to remove the damned CPS yet :headpop:

still a decent buy though but kinda sucks.

oh, installed the black window trim and the chrome mirrors. this truck gets a mild dose of chrome.

got sick of looking at the crap rims on it too, and didn't have the motivation to start chopping out the damaged sections, so i put it back together (mostly), and tossed on my spare set of canyons with 29" bfg m/t's.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Pat,

Are you saving the blue interior? I may have a need for it. Mine is pretty faded in my 86.

woody

yep. i've pretty much got two blue interiors. i don't have a headliner, nor do I have a carpet (this one smelled like mice so it will go to the trash)

89eliminator came over today and helped me remove the dash...i wanted to show him what holds the dash in and how easy it is, and he jumped right in to help. so, thanks wade! :D

so, the interior is now gutted. found a bird's wing on top of the a/c box :roll: then vacuumed it

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

need to pull the a/c box when i do the coolant flush (looks like i may need to do the head gasket too...)

cleaned a bit of the motor off while i was at it...

Image Not Found

and we removed the rear diff cover to see if it was a locker or LSD...it's got LSD in it.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

all-in-all good day. i've removed all of the sensors on top of the motor as likely problems for it's poor running, including the TPS, MAP, IAC, and ICM.

all's left to check is 02, knock sensors, CPS (most likely candidate), and the fuel pump and fuel rail.

Damn dude youre really lucky to have all that land and tools and know how to resurrect an XJ/MJ so quickly. Keep up the good work as I enjoy reading all of these threads you post, especially ALL of the PICS!

Keep it up!

Damn dude youre really lucky to have all that land and tools and know how to resurrect an XJ/MJ so quickly. Keep up the good work as I enjoy reading all of these threads you post, especially ALL of the PICS!

Keep it up!

lol, thanks man.

tool-wise i've actually only used my 4-way red handle screwdriver, a torx set, and my stanley 112 piece toolset. oh, floorjack, a bit of air compressor for removing wheels, and 4 jackstands.

as for land...well, it's nice to have but i could do just as well with 2 acres. :D

anyways. still not running right...i'm putting the front end back together right now and gotta toss the seat back in so i can ove it out of the shop. after the rain, i've gotta get the tractor out from in front of it and grade the driveway again.. :roll: