Red88Comanche Pioneer RWD

This weekend I will be going to pick up a red 1988 MJ. It is 2WD, auto tranny but no engine, it had a 4.0. Bench seat, full gauge cluster with tach. no head-liner or floor carpet. I plan to get it fixed up for my new DD.

Should I put a I-6 in it or take this as a good time to drop a bigger engine in it?

Any Ideas for things that should go in?

UPDATE

------------------------------------------------

Will be sold as scrap as of 7-1-13

Project changed to Comanche Trailer as of Feb. 2012

old project plans

some ideas of what i would like to do!

shelbyluvv's "Black Betty" V8 project
http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/view ... f=7&t=3430

TerraWombat's 1988 5.9L Magnum V8 Comanche
http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/view ... =7&t=15010

Awesome builds guys :clapping:

Edit: Project changed to straight six for my Brother's First Jeep.

---------I want to keep this easy for me to look at when I need to----------
How much this build is costing me.... Updated when I throw money at the Jeep... :wrench:
anything I need to add? to the list?

Current Project Total: $364

1988 MJ Pioneer 2WD: $300
Uhaul Trailer: $64
Diesel for the trip: Free for me!
4.0 I-6 Motor: Free for me IF we get the donor XJ for dad's jeep
WJ Booster and Master Cyl: ?
New key cylinder for doors and starter: Free for me IF we get the donor XJ for dad's jeep
New Steering wheel column: Free for me IF we get the donor XJ for dad's jeep
Chevy 350 Carb: Not in new Project Plan
700r4 auto tranny: Not in new Project Plan
Radiator: Free for me IF we get the donor XJ for dad's jeep
Radiator Fan: Free for me IF we get the donor XJ for dad's jeep
3 inch Dual exhaust: Not in new Project Plan
High flow muffler: N/A
High flow Cats: N/A
HD Rear axel with Disc brakes: ?
New High performance Brakes all around: ?
Head-liner: $125 most likely will buy from eBay again
Sound Deadening: about $120-$200 (I want a quiet cab)
Carpet: about $200 with "mass backed" carpet. from http://www.stockinteriors.com/AutoCarpet.asp?Itemid=2720&MakeId=14&ModelId=249
Rhino liner: will be about $800-$1200 (bed, flairs, inside cab, and rocker panels)
New Paint: about $650 if i don't try it first :idea:
Roll Bar: ?

I know what I would do, but it's too blasphemous to mention on this forum. All I will say is that it will fit great, make a lot of power, reasonably cheap, and bolt up to the aw4. I don't see why the aw4 couldn't stay in it's stock location (maybe firewall clearance), meaning stock crossmember and driveshaft.

I'm sure a lot of you know what I'm talking about. Don't shoot me.

I know what I would do, but it's too blasphemous to mention on this forum. All I will say is that it will fit great, make a lot of power, reasonably cheap, and bolt up to the aw4. I don't see why the aw4 couldn't stay in it's stock location (maybe firewall clearance), meaning stock crossmember and driveshaft.

I'm sure a lot of you know what I'm talking about. Don't shoot me.

ok you lost me...

Thanks for the boost in confidence Jeff! It has been a loooong hard road to get to where I am. I still have a bunch more to do before she is ready for the street.

BTW: There is a 2JZ swap in process on another Cherokee board.

-COUGH-toyota 2JZ-COUGH-

The 2JZ engine will require that a Toyota bellhousing is swapped on the AW4, but that's reasonably easy if you can find a swappable Toyota bellhousing.

According to the Supra fanboi's the AW4 (or the A340 in Toyota Land) is said to handle about 350HP when equipped with a good trans cooler. As you're aware, the 2JZ can easily become an HP monster :D

From your posts in shelbyluvv's build thread, you're obviously looking for decent fuel mileage and you love vehicles with turbos.....hmmm.

If you're keeping it a 2wd street truck, that Toyota turbo is looking better and better for you. It would all depend on how much you would do or fabricate yourself, and if the wiring would bother you. A 1jz would be a lot cheaper than a 2jz, and still make great power with turbo fun!

Dang it, now you have me rethinking my build. Jerk. :cheers: I'm out, gotta go take inventory on what I can sell to fund a 2jz!

So I had chines for lunch today.. My fortune cookie said "Now go get it! It's ready to be picked"... So a little later I called the guy I am buying from and he said he has all the paper work finished I just need to sign it and pay for it! Saturday morning I will be getting the truck!

Just drop a V8 in red and then it'll sit lower than blue.

LOL thats the plan :brows:

I saw a ZJ for sale across the street from where I work might go see if it has a V8.

Most of the wiring for the 4.0 was cut out when the last owner was removing the engine.. so i get to rewire no matter what engine goes in..

• 2 months later...

Dad and I have made the decided to dive Red to my little brother for him to fix-up and be his first Truck when he turns sixteen. we are planning to but a 89 Cherokee today and Red will get its engine, as well as some other needed parts. We should be able to get the hole XJ for less than $500.. Dad will be getting the 4x4 parts for his MJ. Steven and I will be doing all the work that we can on the weekends and after I get off work.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well looks like I can't make up my mind what i want to do with this MJ.... Pulled the engine, transmission, and transfer case from the donor XJ today. We did it the hard way for sure and it took 10 hours, but we did not break anything. :D our method was use a chain hoist to lift the drive terrain and move the cherokee back inch by inch till it was clear. at this point I have no idea how on earth i am going to get that engine into the Red Comanche. bot i think an engine balancer will be required this time.

428022_3423714632149_1248744812_3463341_394885449_n.jpg

431177_3423720592298_1033830152_n.jpg

419305_3423723072360_1248744812_3463344_1453398166_n.jpg

426950_3423733512621_1248744812_3463347_1898280797_n.jpg

422386_3423742232839_1248744812_3463349_1196776547_n.jpg

423663_3423758593248_1248744812_3463353_77259148_n.jpg

If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, they have a decent engine balancer for about $40-$50. I know people say stay away from HF, but I bought the thing in a pinch and have used it on several engine pulling jobs - some not so nice ones either with the full weight of the engine, transmission, and the vehicle (when the engine gets snagged on something like the frame) and the thing has held up real well. Worth every penny I paid for it.