Mary Jane

I got this MJ about 3wks ago for 500 dollars. It was so cold when I bought it, couldn't see if it ran.I really wanted another Jeep so I took a chance on what the guy told me about it, so here it is.

Well the weather warmed up here a little,so I put a battery in it,a couple gallons of gas,found a #6 plug wire for it.maybe that's why the PO couldn't get it started. Repaired the PCV hose,and a broke vacuum line.She fired right up!

After insuring that the truck was running OK, I took it down the block and back.Seemed to steer,shift and brake well.

Future plans are putting f/r axels out of my 4cyl XJ under it (4:10s)lift to fit 33s.AllI really need right now is an AX15/NP231.

This is all Just the beginning,as I'm much aware of where my truck has it's shortcomings.It's gonna be a great project!

Image Not Found

87MJ Sportruck 6cyl 5sp 2wd swb 137,000 mi. Little to no rust. :banana:

• 1 month later...

Things I've done so far

Plugs & wires Cap & rotor

new water pump

upper/lower radiator/heater hoses

changed oil and filter

new air filter

housekeeping underhood

parts that I've bought (or have) that need to be installed.depending on time and weather.

full cluster and headlight switch--Done! All lights work properly

carpet

buckets

slider back window

door gaskets

spray in bedliner for floor

stainless pickup mirrors (Here in my neck of the woods our MJ's are pickups,Trucks have air brakes and multiple axles)

full cattle guard winch mount

rollbar w/6" round generic lights

6"coils

adj lower ca's extended uppers

longer f/shocks

33" treadwrights

15x8 chrome cragars

4.10 HP D30 w/cad

8.8 W/LSD

AX-15 w/ext slave installed

231tc installed

input/output seals for tranny and tc installed

valve cover gasket

yoke style pinion, 8.8 axle mounts/brackets 4.10 gears

Pretty much all I need now is

f/adj track bar

rear shocks

And,TIME! hopefully I'll get some of this done before I go back to work next month

this is all just a start, I'll be posting pics :yes: soon as the build progresses.

• 3 weeks later...

Had some nice days got a few things done on the Jeep.

I got the engine up and running correctly.

Now I started on the other "issues" before a start on the 4x4 conversion. First off, I didn't have any front running lights.

The dash lights only came on when I turned the knob to turn on the interior lights.The right turn indicator would light up when I pulled the light switch out to the park position.

I knew I would be into the dash on this repair,so while all of this was going on I converted the gauges to a full cluster. The two problems I had with this was the speedo hook-up,and the harness plug in the back of the cluster wasn't seating all the way causing the fuel gauge to not work properly.

Old set up:

new set up:

I fixed this by swapping the complete speedo cable from the donor XJ (I was lucky as this wasn't the vehicle that I pulled the cluster from).

I widened the plug opening next to the speedo input cable with a utility knife to allow the plug to fully seat in the socket. I also put a little more "spring" on the contacts (bent them out a little) for good measure.

You can see the socket in question to the right of the speedo input in this pic. Actually this is the old cluster,but same difference.

Next I started on the lights, first place I checked was the rear ground under the left taillight. It wasn't even hooked up!

Repaired that then put new bulbs in the rear.after testing they all worked well.

Then I pulled the headlight switch off of the XJ, see if it would help with my dash light problem.Problem solved there.

I still had a turn indicator light coming on with the park lights so I moved forward to the front of the truck. I had one park light that worked on one side and a turn sig light that worked on the other. After testing with my test light I found I had one dead contact in each socket.

Pics of old sockets:

Pulled the sockets off of the XJ

Tomorrow I have to fix two of these:

Kind of a bad pic, its of a broke off corroded screw. I think Ill drill beside it maybe a couple of places,so I can get the old screw out. Then Ill drill oversize,fill with JB Weld,drill again then install the bezels.

All thats left on this project is to fix the two screws then get it all buttoned up!

image_209027.gif

Fixed the stripped screw holes.

Sorry about the poor pic quality.

Drill

Fill and drill

The headlight bezels were in poor shape, so I cut the top and bottoms off with my Dremmel.

Gave them a coat of flat black,then installed.

Can't really tell they were trimmed up.

Extra grill off of the XJ (silver trim)

Old grill

Liked the silver one better so that is the one I installed.

So the front end is all back together,everything working. :banana:

Next I moved back into the cab to finish putting the dash back together.

It really bothers the heck out of me to see something that has been cobbled or put together back-@$$ wards.

The PO put these in, because the screw holes that held the lower dash panel on the right side were stripped out.

They just sunk the screws in till they hit I don't know what.Actually I think that they were mostly stripped out also.

Stripped out holes

In the top 2 pics you can barely see where the long screws were sunk in below the broke stripped out stock holes.

I fixed it by riveting some 18ga galvanized tabs to the metal support below the holes.

Then I took out all the old rivets from the lower dash panel,put new rivets in (with backing plates)

By this time Mojo was getting tired of making sure I was doing a good job, But as any best friend would do

he stuck in there till the job was done.

Now I put the lower panel in place, predrilled holes in the 18ga, installed all the fasteners.

Installed the dash bezel.

Now I can move on to better and more exciting things!

My tranny jack was delivered today http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=39178

So now I can move onto my 4x4 conversion.

Just wanted to say that I did the engine tune-up, mechanical maintenance, basic electrical fixes, before I started on my conversion. I didn't want a truck that I had to fix the basics before I could drive it after the conversion .If you get what I mean. Anyways..... :clapping: peace

Ya,it's a steal/deal. But it has a few issues,which is why it's getting junked. No title (could be had,if I really pursued it,time and money). No D-shaft, rear pinion yoke gone :dunno: ,Harmonic balancer is hitting timing cover (Have a WTB in the classifieds,hint hint). Or I'll just steal the one off of the MJ when I switch motors. :chillin:

Progress:

Picts of my Band, 87 Comanche, 85 Cherokee-parts, 89 Cherokee-parts

Picked up this Roll Bar a few weeks ago at the Rez-Yard for 30$

With 3 front hoops it looked way too wide. It also had clearance problems with the fuel filler area

in the bed of the truck. Made good use of my new HF portable bandsaw, and a cutting wheel.

Removed 1st hoop and shortened floor mounts.

Me and my best helping hand installing it.

She'll do anything to help on the truck cause she knows she will get to drive it when it's done.

Installed,looking good!

Still have to put mounting bolts in, these will come at a later date.

I got the bar in the truck so I could keep up with housekeeping.

BTW I have no idea what truck this bar originally came from as it was pulled out of an old nissan or toyota.

It was kind of cobbled in place, I only had to pull 2 bolts from each side to get it out.

Then I moved on to the real stuff. Pulled the BA-10 today,HF tranny jack was worth every cent spent on it.

AX-15 231 install next.

image_209027.gif

Woke up this morn. thinking about My New Toy. Realized that it wasn't so new anymore so I decided to rename her

Mary Jane, MJ get it? LOL. It's kind of a tribute to the acronym MJ and pays a little homage back to my 420 days.

No longer touch the stuff, as life and reality of being a responsible adult and parent don't allow it any more.

:typing:

• 2 weeks later...

I bought this TC back in Jan. Finally got around to trying to install it. When I bought the TC I wasn't aware about input spline counts. Thanks to this forum I'm now aware that I now have a TC that doesn't fit. :wall:

My choices to fix this problem are, buy another TC, or change input gears on the one I got.

I chose to do the later. So when I split the case this is what I found

I took apart the rest of the TC apart to get the input gear out, and try to find what and where these parts belong

Think they go here, I'm pretty sure I only need one of these springs.

Made sure there is one of them in there when I put the little metal piece back where it belongs.

How about this

Do I need a new chain and do I have to change sprockets on it like I have to do on my bike ? :dunno:

Anyway, here's my input gear

I think it is a short length narrow bearing, late gear cut ? As defined by this tag ?

Does this tag mean the TC was made in 1996 ?

^ I don't know.. :dunno: :dunno: But you should put all that in the tech section, cause alot of folks don't read the projects as much.. Just to let you, cause this seems like a very good tech question, that I'm willing to bet a few guys could easily answer,,, me nah,, but someone can.. unless you have.. :hmm: Have you?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm converting my 87 MJ 2wd to 4wd. The trans, clutch,and MC assy came out of a 99 XJ. Here was my problem and how I solved it.

Come to find out the JY sent me a MC out of a TJ, oh well.... all done now.

This is a pic of where the 87 MC mounted.

And this is a pic of the configuration of how the 99 MC would mount.

The problem is that the 87 mounts at the 12 and 6 O'clock position, and the 99 mounts at the 5 and 11 O'clock position.

Another problem is the bolt mounting centers are also different.

I thought about just drilling holes at the 5 and 11 as shown by the Xs, and I also trimmed the index on the mount thinking that if I rotated the mount I might be able to gain a more favorable mounting position.

I eventually left it in the stock location at the 5 and 11 position.

To gain more room, I rerouted the hood release cable threw the grommet to the upper right in this view.

Then I cut a 4"x4" piece of 3/16 steel. Cut a 1 1/2" hole in the center, welded 2-3/8" bolts to the backside, on the stock mounting centers.

Then I Cut the 99 mount into a round shape, welded it onto my new mounting plate.

Hows this for my first weld project with my new HF welder? Better than some guys can't do.... :yes:

Although it still looks like DOO-DOO.

The reason that I didn't just drill holes at the 5 and 11 positions is this, first there might have been clearance issues on the backside and second and most important part is that if I did this then structurally I would be putting the force/stress of using the clutch on the sheetmetal of the firewall alone. The force needs to be on this bracket.

If I was to do anything different I would have taken the time to remove this bracket/brace from the backside of the firewall,before I did any fabricating. There is only one bolt holding it on when the MC is removed.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I would have removed this bracket for 2 reasons. One, the stud on the bottom has to be removed (I tried to remove it the hard way, cutting drilling it from the engine side) Do yourself a favor and take it off from the backside of the firewall, way easier! And second it can be used as a jig in setting up your mounting bracket to insure you have the correct bolt centers.

Well all that is left is to take finished pictures of the install, but first I have to get a plug for where the hood release cable originally ran. Then I can put a bead of sealant behind it and bolt it up!

BTW this is posted in the DIY section also.